Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Any complaints about the B&W of Sin City? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Any complaints about the B&W of Sin City?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 10:40 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I knew they would happen. I've been getting a few complaints about it being mostly in B&W. What do ya'll do in that situation?

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-03-2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't had one complaint or comment...well, other then people thought it was boring. Seems like most of the guys like it and the gals don't, big surprise there.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 11:34 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard -

People at a drive-in notice the action on the screen? That's news to me!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been getting a few complaints about it being mostly in B&W.

You explain that you don't make them, you just show them... [Smile]

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard
You're talking about patrons in Florida, right?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-03-2005 01:15 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hand them a reel of B&W film and a pack of Crayola colored markers. Tell them to color in all the pictures on THIS reel. When they are done with that one, tell them that there are 6 more just like it.

They don't have to worry, though. Not ALL of the film is in B&W. They can skip the parts that are already colored in.

If they don't like that answer, just tell them that the projector is running out of Technicolor. The truck didn't make it on time to refill the tank before the show started. However, if they put a piece of colored cellophane over their windshield they can STILL have a movie in color. Hey! If they wear glasses they can save a LOT of money buying cellophane. They only have to cut two little pieces to cover their glasses! (What a bargain!)

[Big Grin] [Wink]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 01:17 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black & white sequences (or new films made in b&w) can bring out the strangeness in many people.

After a screening of THE GREAT DICTATOR (new restored version), one angry customer complained about the film being black & white.
The manager told him politely that this was the way the film was shot and intended to be seen.

Customer:
Why did they do that?

Manager:
You see, that film was made in 1940, when black and white was still common.

Customer: (grumbling)
I see...but why didn't they put some color in now?

Some people feel cheated when you show them b&w, except when it it obviously cool. Like some kids I heard coming straight from VAN HELSING, they never had seen an old Universal horror movie, but they talked about how cool the opening sequence had been.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 04:03 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazingly Kill Bill Vol. 2 didn't garner any complaints, which is startling since people bitch all the time about the speakers on the wall not working...Oh, I'm sorry, but SURROUNDS aren't supposed to have dialog on them, what else would you expect to hear in Home on the Range?!

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't get any Kill Bill complaints? I got plenty! I had to catch myself a couple times. The word, "moron," almost slipped out once or twice.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 12:34 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. I never heard a peep about KB2.
I did however get a "is it supposed to be this quiet?" durring the opening studio logos of Signs once though. (They're silent).

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 01:11 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I liked about Van Helsing was the opening black and white scene, wish they had done the entire flick like that.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-04-2005 02:35 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brother! Did any of these FLA patrons ever see Dorothy singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on the big screen in that glorious sepia toned B&W segment of "the Wizard of ID..er OZ?", or the opening segment of Butch and the Sundance of that 1969 FOX flik "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", or that feature that came out back in '98 called "Pleasantville" from New Line, with all of the B&W scenes that were in that feature?

That's pretty stupid to complain on B&W segments in a movie. Some people out there in FLA been doing too much METH!

Funniner than a skunk eating shit, Randy. Wonder of them FLA people will buy that, let alone will agree with it.

quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, but SURROUNDS aren't supposed to have dialog on them, what else would you expect to hear in Home on the Range?!

I get that crap some of the time as well, especially from the home theatre idiots who think that they know it all when they say "well, my system at home does this?" Don't you just want to bitch-slap them silly and tell them how the bear shits in the woods? Take your SONY POS matrix crap and sit and spin on it for a while.

-Monte

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 04:39 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, Monte

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 02:34 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Appelt
After a screening of THE GREAT DICTATOR (new restored version)
forget about color. Those patrons were lucky to even get sound! Wasn't The Great Dictator Chaplin's first talking picture? (Modern Times doesn't really count)

I got the same complaints back when I ran Three Kings. "its washed out"... [Roll Eyes] Working in a copy shop, I get customers all the time that think that photocopying a b/w photo on a color copier will magically make it a color photo. [Confused]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 03:09 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, you can't be serious...That's some sh*t.
Richard, I'll ask my buddy down in FL where he lives, I'll send him on over to your theater to terrorise you sometime [Wink]
And word to Monte.
It's true however, it's the home theater goons that drive me nuts. This is why I'm intent on building mine out of cinema equipment and have 86'd the complex Linux based PVR I was going to build.

Now, back on topic: The local paper in Los Banos where I work reviewed a movie playing at my theater. Ring 2. I'm considering calling him up to offer my input on the technical elements...
He mentioned something about the color not looking right towards the end...Friggin' doofus.
And he classified it as a bad horror flick...When it's clearly a bad suspence/sci-fi flick.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: