Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Screenvision going digital?

Author Topic: Screenvision going digital?
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard that Screenvision was going to begin rolling out digital pre-show systems in some theaters. Has anyone got details on this?

Gary

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2005 04:18 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they already started using some digital stuff?
I know the company that handles our preshow does partial and full digital installations.
We've got slides with digital sound attached to them...I hate them. But there are a few theaters with all digital projectors and sound.

Anybody else here using Unique Screen Media?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2005 01:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only nice thing about having slides be digital would be the ease of changing ads every week. The way our projectors are installed in many auditoriums makes it a pain to change out slides. In addition, I also have to make sure I put the projector itself is in the right position again, making sure it is centered. A digital system could have the ads centrally located I would think, and just reloaded on a computer disc somewhere. Also, when one slide has to be pulled for some reason midrun, it'd be a lot easier and less time consuming, giving me more time to check on film presentation.

AJG

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2005 10:13 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is true. Supposed to happen within the next year.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2005 10:24 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, have you heard anything on if screenvision will be installing these in all of the Cinemarks replacing the slide projectors?

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2005 01:17 AM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope so...i have to keep 2 spare projectors to keep all 10 on the screen everyday.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, the system is supposedly close to what other chains use.

One server has a video card(s) that can feed 4 projectors. At each station there is a keypad that can beep to indicate that the pre-show is done. The system integrates into the ticketing system to get showtimes. At a predetermined time before show start, the slide show starts, after another set time, slides with audio start, then after that, the rolling stock starts. Once it is complete, then the Exhibitor logo is displayed in a loop with the keypad beeping.

[ 04-01-2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Paul Konen ]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2005 12:04 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, the NCN setup for AMC (at least when I left in October) was pretty much the same as you described.

As far as screenings go, unless it is a sneak preview that the general public can buy tickets for, it is not in the ticketing system so the preshow content will not start until a certain period of time (about an hour if I remember right) before the next show that is in the ticketing system.

Now if there is a theatre rental and tickets are rung up for the renting party and the show is either sold out or locked out so no additional tickets can be sold, it would be in the ticketing system and the content would be "told" to start.
If we did not want it to show, the video projector is plugged into the outlet on the lamphouse for the slide projector, so we can simply turn the slide switch off to avoid having it show.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-23-2005 03:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak's new Digital Pre-Show system has 720P HD resolution and surround sound capability:

Kodak Digital Pre-Show in HD

quote:
LAS VEGAS, March 11 /PRNewswire/ — Kodak is offering a first look at new additions to the company's networked digital cinema system here at the annual ShoWest conference for motion picture distributors and exhibitors. The upgraded system incorporates high definition 720p image decoding, a new HD projector, and surround sound capability.

"Most pre-show systems today offer standard definition images with stereo audio," says Bill Doeren, general manager of Kodak Digital Cinema. "By enabling our system to deliver high definition images with surround sound, the pre-show can be a more engaging and entertaining experience for cinema audiences."

The Kodak Digital Cinema system includes a package consisting of proprietary software, as well as hardware and services to prepare, distribute, and display quality pre-show advertising through feature movie presentations on theatre screens.

The full system is being demonstrated on multiple cinema screens at ShoWest at a special event prior to feature presentations attended by hundreds of industry professionals. "It's important for us to demonstrate our system in a real world environment to some of the most demanding audiences," Doeren says.

For the pre-show demonstrations, Kodak is using the new three-chip DLP high definition ScreenPlay 333 projectors from InFocus.

"High definition projection is the next step for pre-show presentations," says Doeren. "On the InFocus projectors, the images are brighter and sharper with a greater range of contrast and more color saturation. Combined with surround sound, they make everything, including concerts and other events, a more enjoyable experience. HD images on our system have a crispness and depth that seem to jump off the screen."

Doeren emphasizes there is still a difference between high definition and motion picture-grade quality. For feature presentations, the company is demonstrating the new Kodak CineServer, which is compatible with a range of digital projectors up to 2K resolution. Kodak is using the Barco 2K DLP projector to show trailers and motion picture content at ShoWest.

[ 03-23-2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: John Pytlak ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: