Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Sin City - Best Viewing Experience (Ultrascreen, Super Screen, etc?)

Author Topic: Sin City - Best Viewing Experience (Ultrascreen, Super Screen, etc?)
Nick Catalano
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Nick Catalano   Email Nick Catalano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright. I haven't been to this forum for awhile, but I do need a bit of assistance. I want to see Frank Miller's "Sin City" next week, and being the movie buff that I am I want to experience it. I rarely go to any "commercial" or "mainstream" cinemas, but the local (Milwaukee, Oriental Theater) Landmark theater isn't showing the movie.

I have been to the Westtown (Milwaukee) Ultra Screen and have seen the quality of the picture there. I also see they have the new JBL "ScreenArray" technology up in Sheboygan. Which is best for "Sin City"? Should I go to a smaller screen since this movie was shot at a lower resolution and then transferred to film?

I hate "Chain" theaters.

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2005 03:56 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was getting it I'd say come all the way out here [Wink]
I recommend watching it on a smaller screen anyway, any sort of digital sound should be required, and watching it opening day will (hopefully) ensure an unscratched print.
Otherwise, make friends with some projectionists that screen regularly [Wink]

Jacob A. Velleman
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2005 09:20 PM      Profile for Jacob A. Velleman   Email Jacob A. Velleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a Marcus in Sheboygan?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 11:50 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looked Very good on the local Ultra Screen, but I can't comment on the sound, as the right channel sound was missing.

When you pay a premium price (OK, only $1, but that is still a premium) for a picture, you expect to hear ALL of the movie. On a 70' screen, the lack of a channel is very clear. I was not pleased.

(A manager from the local Marcus called me 3 days later. I had complained on the company web site. She told me that there was a loose wire in the sound rack causing the channel to drop out. Passes were offered and accepted.)
I did tell someone at the Box Office when I left. Managers are hard to find at this theatre. (I did not get up during the film, as my row was quite full and I did not wish to disturb the other members of the audience.)

[ 04-04-2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to get up and talk to somebody because the projectionist had left the light in the booth on. Maybe some movies wouldn't be a problem like that, but in a film that's so dark a big light rectangle is really noticable. I had to tell them TWICE, though. Arg.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 03:56 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Booth lights shouldn't shine into the auditorium. No matter what movie it is. They should either keep them off or use special sconces, fixtures, shades, or anything else to keep light splatter out of the window.

I havn't seen Sin City yet, but I assume the local Regal has scratched it already. They tend to do that. And I'll wait till it's out of their #1 theater. The #1 booth is raised so high (to accomodate the new stadium seating) with the projector raised on a custom pedastal that the projector rattles itself side to side.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 10:25 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any theater that has been open more than a few months should already have any lights that shine into the auditoriums identified and have signage placed near them to never turn them on while a movie is running.
I got the free preview DVD of Sin City at Best Buy, it looks like the sort of movie that would be ruined if you don't have absolutely PERFECT presentation, and I can't trust anyone around here to show it properly.

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sheboygan Marc Cinema is a Marcus Theatre. SIN CITY is showing through Thursday, April 6th on our SuperScreen with Dolby Digital, JBL ScreenArray Sound. Then it moves on to a smaller house. A second print of SIN CITY is showing in a Dolby Digital house.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: