Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » I wish all employee's parents could be like this... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I wish all employee's parents could be like this...
Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2005 12:31 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A conversation with an employee's parent tonight:

Parent: Hi, I'm (Employee)'s dad.
Me: Yeah, he's in the break room. He's not feeling well.
P: Yeah, he'll probably try to get you to send him home. He did some shit he shouldn't have done last night and now he's hung over. I told him to get his ass to work.
M: Oh, OK
P: Yeah, I said "well you shouldn't have done that shit last night." You don't have to send him home if you don't want to.

|  IP: Logged

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2005 02:35 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that is indeed forunate.

Unfortunately, the parents that I deal with seem to believe that because they took 5 minutes out of their day to talk to me, that should totally smooth over several days of skull fuckery.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-27-2005 02:54 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When is it that the theatre's employees became "babysitters?"

I thought employees "ran" the theatre and the parents "ran" their kids?

Kids screw up at home and that becomes the parent's responsibility. Employees screw up, that becomes the manager's responsibility.

If this becomes policy, we'd better get a better wage if that responsibility is an added necessity.

-Monte

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank the lord I don't employ a bunch of stupid kids. I think I have one floor staff who is under eighteen.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 02:58 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I am concerned, having a hangover so bad that they cannot function still constitutes being under the influence. They are unable to work because they did too much the night before. I believe most companies have policies in place about that. Fire the dumb ass and find somebody else that has has a real work ethic that will control themselves.

BTW, mad props to the parent.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 09:46 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, and especially with the people that I worked with that would come in still drunk and/or high. It was fun when I was there bright and early (being responsible and laying low the night before) and having them come in 30 mins late, and not able to walk about b/c they are about to throw up. It's great when you have to move 10+ prints with them. And of course, when I said something, I was just complaining and not showing signs of a 'good manager'.

That was cool of the parent though, but I wouldn't want someone who is severely hungover dealing with my guests, even if they aren't being paid well.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 11:31 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If one of my staff came in unable to work from a hang-over, I'd write them up and send them home. And if they gave me any lip, I'd send them packing.
We are in a public business. We cannot afford to have any staff member be in the public eye looking/acting hung-over.

As for the parent's reaction, I am of the opposite opinion.
If I had a parent tell me they purposely sent their hung-over kid to work, I send the kid home even faster.
What I would want to hear from a parent is something like, "Johnny got drunk last night and is hung-over. So I've grounded him. And if you have to fire him for missing work because of it, then go ahead - it'll be a lesson in what's more important to him, money or beer."

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 11:47 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Ratcliff
what's more important to him, money or beer."
What about beer money? [beer]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-29-2005 12:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Volpi
What about beer money?

(LOL)...typical response from a "kid!" -Monte

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my mind, its really a rather simple question of authority.

A Guardian (or qualified health professional), makes the decision as to whether or not their child is well enough to leave the house.

A Manager (or qualified health professional), makes the decision as to whether or not their employee is well enough to work.

If an employee is "under the weather" but still workable...there are several modified jobs that they can perform.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2005 09:19 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one employee's step mom come in here and ask for the employees schedual, I explained to her that I did not know who she was and could not give out her schedual to her, she then got mad at me and told me that my head manger had given her the schedual before, then told me the employee was out in the car.. [Mad] Now I just don't see why the employee could not just come in here and get her own dang schedual.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-30-2005 12:36 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was her I would have told you how to spell "schedule."
[Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2005 02:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True. It's a set rule that it's forbidden to give out any employee's information to the public-even to the employee's friends. No schedule should be given out in person, or on the phone. That is confindental information that no one needs to know.
-monte

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-30-2005 04:30 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's often a judgement call involved in this sort of thing. If the employee is normally hard-working and conscientious, and/or if there are other mitigating circumstances (e.g. he had covered several holiday or sickness shifts for others in the last few weeks), then I'd be inclined to cut him some slack - once. If, on the other hand, he'd gained a reputation for being a bit of a piss artist, I'd veer towards sacking him.

But I would certainly not, under any circumstances, discuss details of an employee's work with their parents or any other third party. As an employee in any workplace, I would not like the idea that if some psycho or serial killer came in saying (for example) 'Hi, I'm Leo's brother, when does he finish work?', intending to lie in wait for me to emerge, that any of my colleagues or managers would simply give out that sort of information.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2005 05:45 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry, I know I can't spell well, and yes I know there is a spell check button. It won't happen againe. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: