Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Parents not watching there kids

Author Topic: Parents not watching there kids
Lee Michael Breese
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 04:24 PM      Profile for Lee Michael Breese   Email Lee Michael Breese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I had a man come in to use the pay phone. He had his three children with him I am not going to turn him away because it is a public phone. Well as he was on the phone his two little boys were walking around looking at things. And his older daughter was telling them to behave and like any child in the world they are not going to do anything there older sibling says. Well one of the kids started firing off his toy cap gun. I asked them to please not shoot that off in here. Movies just got out and there was only two people inside the theatre but still so they were not disturbed. Well the point is why am I the one that has to tell these kids to stop. The father was not standing more then 9 feet away and he did not say anything he was to busy talking to whoeve was on the phone to notice his own children. I have had problems in the past at the other theatre I have worked at but the theatre I am at now most of the people who come in here are over the age of 55 and if they are not they are college age or mid thiries. But still working in a theatre I see why some species eat there young.

|  IP: Logged

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 06:14 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In situations like these, the best thing to do is to politely but firmly insist they take care of their children or leave, ESPECIALLY if they aren't customers.

Lee Michael Breese
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2005 12:53 AM      Profile for Lee Michael Breese   Email Lee Michael Breese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter to me if they are a paying customer or not everyone gets the same treatment. In the end who knows maybe someday when he decides to go see a movie he might end up coming here. If he doesn't what do I have to lose nothing now if the lobby was cramped full of people and it was a 7:00 set I would maybe say something to the father and ask him if he could ask his children to settle down or make them wait outside because they are disturbing the patrons. It was just odd to me because it has been about 7 months since I got sent to this theatre. What can you do???

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 03-26-2005 09:39 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, a pay phone on private property is not a public phone and the owner of the property has the right to deny use to anyone they want. The primary reason the phone is there is that the management had it installed as a benefit to their customers and to protect their own private phone from public use.

And, in an era when you hear people on the news telling reporters that a shooting that occurred sounded "like a cap gun," any child or abetting adult allowing the use of a cap gun in public should be given the "bum's rush" and threatened with being reported to the police.

How a parent, or especially the manager of a business, would allow one young brat to disturb the quiet enjoyment of those in a theatre or its lobby, a concession stand or even in the waiting area in front of a theatre, I just don't understand. Just because someone "someday when he decides to go see a movie he might end up coming here" is no reason to put up with unacceptable public behavior.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Bedford
is no reason to put up with unacceptable public behavior.
but...

quote:
a payphone on private property is not a public phone
ergo its private behavior.

Also, no cap guns, no squirt guns, no toy guns, no toy knives...No Exceptions.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2005 02:59 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with any anoying crap their kid does, most parents just tune it out after a while and don't really notice it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: