Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Revenue split with screen advertiser

Author Topic: Revenue split with screen advertiser
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 10:53 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my theater was to sign with a screen advertiser (Screenvision, for example) what kind of revenue split (or terms) can I look forward to, as a general rule?

Gary

|  IP: Logged

Ramin Hashemi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2005 05:37 PM      Profile for Ramin Hashemi   Email Ramin Hashemi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when I looked into it, our cut was so small (do not remember exactly what) that I decided to do it myself. You have to upkeep it anyways, they just do the initial selling with your help. I find that even if I sell about half or 40% of the slides they do, I am ahead.

We charge $40 per screen per week for 3 slides. What do you charge?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-02-2005 12:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before considering running ads, ask yourself the following question:

Q. If I don't run ads, will I go out of business?

If the answer is yes, then run the ads. If the answer is no, then don't run ads. Why do something that is guaranteed to piss off your customers?

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2005 04:33 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sell slide advertising ourselves, and do fairly well with it. I've made more money selling the ads myself then I could ever having a company do it for me. I don't think slide advertising pisses people off, if its mixed in with the fun facts, trivia, ect. If all of the slides were advertising, it would be annoying. Maybe 1/4 of our slides our ads. I went to a theatre a few weeks ago that didn't have any slides or music before the show. I was bored.

Ramin Hashemi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2005 05:48 PM      Profile for Ramin Hashemi   Email Ramin Hashemi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Include fun slides and it can be a plus.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 08-03-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mike for stating it so clearly. I'd go to your theatre anytime.

[QUOTE] [I don't think slide advertising pisses people off]

RONG! It pisses me off huge and contributes to the public's growing disrespect of our industry. Believe me, some people will not come to your theatre if you have on screen ads.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Bedford
RONG! It pisses me off huge and contributes to the public's growing disrespect of our industry. Believe me, some people will not come to your theatre if you have on screen ads.

I agree that it might lead to the public's disrespect of the industry, but I doubt very much that anyone will not come to a theater because of ads - and even if there are a few, it won't erode receipts enough to make it worth not showing ads.

Unfortunately, customers still patronize theaters that consistently have lousy projection, inferior sound, scratched prints and otherwise poor presentation. You think they're going to stay home because there's a few slides with ads before the show?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-03-2005 10:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Martin...they already are staying home. Only today's exhibitor would think that slides and advertising preshows are not cutting into attendance. Furthermore, the quality of these preshows are almost always horrible. The screens are not masked for the "presentation" like the film hopefully is.

Exhibitors complain about a fall off in attendence and they can only think about the poor movies....which certainly is a major cause, but don't think for a minute that you are not contibuting to the lack of attendence with such treatment of customers to subject a paying customer to continious advertisments.

Get some grand drape cutains and start putting on a show...then when Hollywood makes a movie worth showing people will enjoy coming to your theatre.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-04-2005 12:03 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know at least half a dozen people that go to the movies LESS because they're annoyed by the ads.

AMC refers to the ad line up as "Pre-show Entertainment". Huh? They actually believe that the commercials are "entertaining" to the audience.

[Roll Eyes]

I've suggested this before, but I think some one should try running "No Ad Tuesdays". And just see what happens to the attendance. Maybe then, they'll get a clue. But I doubt it.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2005 10:17 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do think that rolling stock ads are annoying and people do not like them. So I don't show them. I do think that the video projection stuff with the girl hosting the show is annoying. So I don't do that either.

I do not think that most people go to a movie to see a curtain open. In Columbus, there are two Marcus Theatres that had (or have, I haven't been to one for years) curtains that opened before the show. But their grosses are measly compared to the local AMC theatres that have bigger screens and are generally considered nicer. The AMC theatres have always had advertising before the show..

If someone stays home simply because of slide advertising, which in my opinion is rather non intrusive, they must not enjoy the movie theatre experience very much in the first place.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2005 11:23 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Marcus theatres in Columbus no longer use their curtains. I believe they were only in the larger (40' screen) rooms.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2005 12:13 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark-
I just went to the Pickerington theatre once and Crosswoods once. Both times they had curtains. Does Marcus have a pre-show?

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2005 12:20 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I hate ads myself, I do believe the younger audiences have grown accustom to them and they expect to see them. We had a couple projectors not working earlier this summer and we reverted to the curtains. I had many people ask why the ads weren't on. Nobody cheered as I expected them to. Rolling stock ads seem to get a lot more negative reactions. We don't run them, but many of our customers say they come here because we don't have commercials running with our previews. Several have told me they kind of like the lack of silence before the show, but hate commercials when they think it's show time.

Darren Solomon
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2005 11:13 PM      Profile for Darren Solomon   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Solomon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Screenvision Slide Ads and Technicolor rolling stock adds.
I'm the only one, for about a year, who was putting in the new slides in every two weeks. I hated it. I was also reporting in broken kodak II Slide Projectors and replacing bulbs. We are now getting the new LCD upgrade to Digital Screenvision Ads, which use some kind of a HDD/server device that is networked to Technicolor. We still will be running the rolling stock ads. One time I asked the Screenvision sales rep, how much it would cost for a slide ad to be put up. He didnt give me much of a discounted rate, but I think it was abit more than $200 bucks per week. Not to mention the production cost was about another $250 bucks in making the slide ads, depending on how many you wanted.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-11-2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Bedford
It pisses me off huge and contributes to the public's growing disrespect of our industry.
I've always thought the slide shows look amateurish and ruin the auditorium dress. Most of the units are dim, cockeyed, and look like crap on the screen. If they could ever make them bright enough, then yeah, maybe; but as long as they go with that incandescent junk, forget it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: