Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Would you hire Tarantino to manage YOUR theater? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Would you hire Tarantino to manage YOUR theater?
Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 07:41 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Story Posted Here (Netscape News)

Note to New Line: Don't take Jason Voorhees' hockey mask off the shelf just yet. Last week, according to the Hollywood Reporter, the studio was said to be in talks with Quentin Tarantino to write and direct The Ultimate Jason Voorhees Movie, which would mark the 12th installment of the Friday the 13th franchise, as well as the director's first job for a studio other than Miramax. But the report was premature, Tarantino said over the weekend. The Kill Bill filmmaker was in London to accept the Icon of the Decade award from Empire, the British movie magazine, and he told Empire that, while New Line had spoken to him about a Jason movie, he was not planning to make one.
''Whats happening with Friday The 13th? Nothing at all! Its a complete lie,'' he told Empire, whose awards were chosen by a poll of 12,000 readers. ''I like Jason and everything, but Ive no intention of directing a movie! New Line talked to me about it, but it was a complete fabrication, that article. I would love to do a horror film. Im just saying its not going to be Friday the 13th.''

Tarantino said his next project would probably be his long-gestating World War II drama Inglorious Bastards, though he said he had yet to compile the scenes he's written into a shooting script. ''I hope to give you at least 15 more years of movies,'' said the 41-year-old, who added that he would then quit filmmaking and Hollywood altogether. ''I'm not going to be this old guy that keeps cranking them out. My plan is to have a theater by that time in some small town and I will be the manager -- this crazy old movie guy,'' the former video store clerk said. ''I've made enough money that nobody even needs to show up at the theater. It's just having something to do.''

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 10:03 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 12:07 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell Yeah

Mark Lippert
Film Handler

From: Milwaukee, WI, the birthplace of people from Milwaukee, WI.

- posted 03-16-2005 01:08 PM      Profile for Mark Lippert   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Lippert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard his theater idea before in some other interview. He said the theater would only show his films, even if he only has a half dozen or so by that time. Crazy old movie guy, indeed.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 01:17 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tarantino may have some innovative ideas dealing with people who use cell phones and bother the rest of the audience... [Big Grin] Of course he would have to hire DeNiro and Al Pacino for the boxoffice!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-16-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard he was going to buy a small boarded-up theater in LA's Chinatown. It's the last screen in Chinatown and it used to run continuous Chinese programming. Hasn't run in years, killed off by cable TV and video rentals. I think it would make a great revival or art house. Wonder what happened to that plan?

Gotta have Pesci tear tickets and 'enforce' the house rules. Scorsese could run the booth when he gets tired of makin' stuff.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 02:34 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let the governator get wind of it...He'll want in on it too.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 10:20 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tarantino would be a cool ass manager, and he could get Travolta to be his 2nd in command....giving Travolta yet ANOTHER comeback...

Imagine the script for the movie times...

"Hey, welcome to Taratino 6, Chinatown. I know how good our popcorn is, because when I'm shopping I buy the good shit. I want to taste my popcorn, but you know what? It's not the popcorn, it's the dead n......" you get the point

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-17-2005 05:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet he would make the best policy trailer ever....

"Shut up, motherfucker!"

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-17-2005 09:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Appelt
Tarantino may have some innovative ideas dealing with people who use cell phones and bother the rest of the audience...
...hire Zed and Maynard as duty managers, perhaps?

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 12:49 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would, just having him there will bring in a crowd. If he does this he will be very successful. I know several huge fans that would go on vacation to see a movie in Terantino's theatre. I personally think he is a bit of an egotystical SOB, but I can't deny the movie magic he has created.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-17-2005 11:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would you hire Tarantino to manage YOUR theater?
Hell no! I'm not convinced he can even make movies.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tarantino bought that theater in Chinatown for all the prints stored in it... I heard there were lots of old kung fu flicks and an old article I read on the subject quoted a bystander saying they saw people taking out alot of film cans one day.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2005 06:02 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Quentin was hauling old films out of a closed theatre recently in LA he's probably looking for new projects to "steal" from. That seems to be what he's good at.
I'm sure if he had his own theatre and would greet customers, we would probably hear the same stupid old stories about his life working in some video store, watching movies all day and night and stealing other filmmakers ideas.
Go away Quentin, pleeeease.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-19-2005 04:56 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this is a tuff room!
[Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: