Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Drug Testing for Employees (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Drug Testing for Employees
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:38 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you or your company require drug tests for employees?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 09:08 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-13-2005 09:50 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the companies I've worked for in the last 13 years have required a drug test at time of hire. In fact, I got hired at PanAmSat when I did because my predecessor failed his test. Of course, when I was flying professionally pilots were (and still are) subject to random drug testing as well.

Most of the tests I took were pee-in-the-bottle; Caesars Palace Omnimax required a hair sample.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No drug testing required.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 02:28 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but there needs to be.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 03:00 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, none of the theaters i've ever worked out has.And there shouldn't ever be.

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 03:15 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theater that requires drug testing, is a theater that is losing most of it's employees(ground floor staff, of course, never a projectionist!), in my experience

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 05:09 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No drug testing here, we know the ones that use drugs anyway. I really don't care what the employees do, as long as they are sober and professional at work.

I think the most effective drug testing would be just to say "Everyone show up at 9 am tomorrow for a drug test" and see who shows up (or just watch the expressions on their faces)!

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 07:50 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be too cost prohibitive for what we pay employees. I would prefer to never have dopers work for me, but it's hard to justify if they are fine at work. Most of the time, the dopers will miss work with no call and give a good reason to can them.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 08:21 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at either place I've worked for, they haven't, and I honestly don't think that it would really matter. Mgmt is another animal though, I think once you are at that level, you should have random testing. I'm sure we all have experimented, but once you get to a certain point...what's more important? On the other hand, if it doesn't effect the workplace.....well, it's not affecting the workplace [Big Grin]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-14-2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the test costs as much as a week's pay for most floor/booth staff, and said staff is easily replaceable under today's standards, I can see where theaters wouldn't bother with it. In the transportation industry we have no choice. Even $7.00/hour ramp rats get tested.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 12:33 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The City of Orlando Utilities won't hire people who even Smoke Cigaretes now....

Matt Whitney
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 01:29 PM      Profile for Matt Whitney   Email Matt Whitney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here all employees get tested at time of hire or promotion. No further testing after that though.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 05:23 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think drug testing is stupid.
It's really none of your employer's business what you do with your own time.
If an employee's drug use is having a negative effect on his or her job performance, it will show and there will be reason to fire him or her anyway.
I've heard the argument that drugs are illegal, but that doesn't really work here.
It is also illegal for anyone under 21 to drink alcohol, but no one tests for that.
I've also never heard of anyone under 21 losing his or her job because because his or her employer found out the he or she drinks when he or she is off the clock.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No drug tests at my theater but..

At my other job we sell a 'detox' drink, which, if you do have a peepee test, you can drink it and it the test should come out negative for drugs.

So either way, if and when jobs and/or paroll officers test for drugs, then the person can come on down and get a drink to make them pass. I hate hate hate hate HATE selling that stuff, it's just a big pain in the ass. ugh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: