Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Staff Meetings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Staff Meetings
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How often do you hold staff meetings (weekly, monthly, bi-monthly)? In the mornings, or when your theatre closes?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First Saturday (at one location), Second Saturday (at the other location) every month - 9:30 am ...

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:59 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't had one at this theatre yet, and I have been here 7 months.. I hate meetings.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, the entire staff is done twice a year. Seeing as we're a multiplex, this is very costly.

On a Saturday, before opening, like around 7 am. Usually on a weekend that should have a big opening movie.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 10:04 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer not to hold meetings on a regular basis. WIth staffing such as mine, I'm able to talk face to face with the employees just prior to shifts daily if I need to. I also continually post memo's to the break room and schedule boards in the event something noteworthy comes about.

I dislike meetings myself...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Black
I dislike meetings myself...

Yea...! Hate them as well (unless I have to go to them...Haven't been to a staff meeting in over 3yrs) for nothing is ever followed soon afterwards.

Yet, the last one that I attended is when I was still with EDWS when REG took over the EDW's locations a month before. For it was a bad one for the manager slammed us guys who work upstairs about about being "assistant managers and not being worthy of the position." We walked out of the meeting and went home.. I quit soon afterwards.

Now, as this company's engineer, my presense is not needed..

-Monte

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 07:09 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HENDRICKSON"S LAW (no joke- you could look it up)

"If a problem causes many meetings, eventually the meetings become more important than the problem."

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 07:23 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at the 20 plex I worked at....it was like twice a year. At my gig now, we (the 3 of us projectionists) meet once a week for a half hour to schedule our shifts and to figure out who does what the coming weeks (film, video, presentation, lectures, etc.) We also bring up any problems at this time as well.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-15-2005 01:27 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dean Kollet
at the 20 plex I worked at....it was like twice a year
..I did the same at my 21 plex where I was "Presentation Manager" - all of us sat down and hashed out what was needed to talk about and bring up ideas..and we did this about every 3 months.

-Monte

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 07:56 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I typically hold a meeting twice a year, once right before big summer business and once in fall before dead time.

They can be productive, but often times I wonder. Once an employee ordered a pizza and had it delivered in the middle of a meeting. He was terminated soon after. Some kids just don't take them seriously enough to do any good.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 08:06 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the thought of "terminating " employees [Wink]

So much more fun than just firing them with the added advantage that they can't come back and sue for wrongful dismissal.

We tend to have two full museum away days each year where everyone from security to curators and of course projectionists get together. Our next one in April is here with added attraction of a trip down a mine shaft!

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 03:51 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does that mean you're getting "terminated"?

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an employee meeting at the beginning of every shift. We call it a line-up. It's a very quick affair where we go over things that have been happening lately, upcoming events, etc.

Jannette McQueen
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 07:17 PM      Profile for Jannette McQueen   Email Jannette McQueen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're meant to have a gerneral staff meeting every quarter, I beleive. But I'd think just having one for the sake of having one isn't a brilliant idea. Yeah there's usually always stuff that needs to mentioned. But going out of your way for nothing too important?

We tend to have them on sunday mornings. None of the kids have school, and we're not keeping them out late, or interfering with their evening social life (aside from their saturday nights, but it's not like we hold it *on* the saturday night). Only problem with that is that it's early, and they're not always entirely awake. The management have recently complained that the staff didn't respond too well to what was said in the last meeting we had, so maybe it's just the timing that does need to be reconsidered. But who knows what a better time would be considering the hours we run?

It was a good point too that the meetings need to be taken seriously to be effective. Staff does need to care [Wink]

Matt Whitney
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Matt Whitney   Email Matt Whitney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a staff meeting every month on the first Saturday of the month. I find it useful to go over current promotions and problems that need to be brought to everyone's attention. We also announce the winner of the previous month's concession selling contest and let them know what this month's contest will be.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: