Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Do you let the kiddies use the business phone to call for a ride? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you let the kiddies use the business phone to call for a ride?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 09:16 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or do you have pay phone (remember those) and make them use it?
I'm sure this mainly applies to smaller theatres.

What do the googleplex's do if a kid ask's to use the phone to call home for a ride?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-07-2005 09:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of my old theaters let people use the business line unless it was a dire emergency. (You just can't let anybody behind the counter unless they work for you, nowadays.)

Since my current place is a college, there are plenty of phones for people to use. We don't have to let anybody use the office phones. For customers who are NOT from the college community, we have a campus phone line on the wall in the lobby. It's programmed to dial out for local numbers but you need a 7 digit T.A.C. number to dial anything but local calls. If it was an emergency and a customer had to call Long Distance, I'd dial my TAC number and hand them the receiver to finish the call if I liked the person. If I didn't, I'd tell them, "Sorry.", unless it was a serious emergency.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 09:42 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our theater a small 5 plex...we will allow kids to use the phone only if its a local call. We are a smaller town about 10,000 people and its usually the same kids that are asking to use the phone. So its not a big deal...but however we do not allow them at our managers station. We simply pick up the phone and put it on the top so they may use it. Occasionaly we do get the person who needs to dial the bus. Thats always a fun one, cause then there loatering around the lobby for an hour waiting...which ends up with them bothering you with 50 questions about the upcoming films that they see on the tv in the lobby.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 10:36 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do for really young kids or when they get kicked out. Most of the brats have cell phones anyway now. Parents are getting a lot better at asking what time the show is out and just waiting for them.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 11:39 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still have a pay phone in the lobby, although it's not used much anymore. The kids that don't have cell phones use it. If they don't have any money I'll bring out the cordless phone from the office and let them use that. I always wait until they are finished to make sure I get the phone back. I therefore can hear that they are indeed talking to a parent or someone that will be picking them up. Anyone that would be picking them up would be within our local calling area, so I'm not concerned about long distance charges as we have an unlimited calling plan that covers all of the US at one set price anyway. We own the payphone, and it's connected to our business line so there is no extra cost in having that either.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-08-2005 01:31 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got tired of having kids lined up at the office after the movie, so we installed a phone in the lobby. We can keep an eye on it from the boxoffice window so no shenanigans happen. If a kid starts talking for more than a minute, I just pick up the office phone and start listening...they usually hang up in about 2 seconds.

-

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 10:37 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only once in the seven months I've been here has anyone asked to use the phone. I've never seen so many cell phones in my life! We have a pay phone just outside the main doors.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the reason I ask is because having a line at the ticket station after each movie indeed gets old.
We have the running time of each film on the answering machine, and on the web site, so I've been tempted to move the phone out of sight, and start telling them sorry, no phone to use.
But I've not have the guts to do it yet. [Smile]
The "lovely" parents, would probably be up in arms about it.

I've been tempted to put in my own pay phone as well.

I was just curious how everyone else handled it.

I'm guessing the megaplex's don't tolerate this nonsense.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Payphone in the lobby.
If we don't have 50 cents to give them for it and they don't have a cell they can use mine.
Office is off limits. Our manager can vito that any time but that's the policy I use.
As for parents...hah!
We've had more than a few kids sitting around out front for 2 hours after their movie gets out waiting for a ride.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 03:51 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No ... that's why we have a payphone ...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-08-2005 05:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does one get a pay phone installed? Does the phone company do it for free (in return for the money collected from it), or is there an installation cost? What about ongoing monthly charges? Does the theatre get some per centage of the money collected?

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 07:59 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can either buy the phone yourself ... or there are some third-parties that install payphones and pay a commission ... we use Knoxville Payphone ...

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 08:08 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best bet is to buy your own pay phone from Hellodirect.com, and keep all the proceeds yourself.

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Payphones these days are much like ATM machines. There are a number of vendors who will supply a phone, with deals varying on usage. If one were to expect a high volume of calls, it would be worth it to buy a phone and operate it yourself. My theatre has a low call volume, so our phone vendor operates the phone, pays line charges and fees, and keeps the money. I don't deal with it at all, and it seems like everyone wins.

As for the theatre phone, the idea of letting someone use the phone is completely foreign. But then, we don't allow kids at the theatre, so maybe that's it.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2005 12:26 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a lot of people buy their own payphone from G-Tel (www.payphone.com).

I've installed payphones here locally since they were legal to own in 1986 here in Washington state.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: