Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » My time has come.. resignation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: My time has come.. resignation
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 04:40 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After nearly 17 L-O-N-G years in this industry, the time has come for me to part ways and venture on to bigger and better things.

I tendered my official resignation today, effective March 24th, 2005.

While a bittersweet move, it is one that I feel compelled to make in order to continue to grow, both professionally and, of course, financially. This industry has taught me a great many things, not only about business, but about people. People can be the greatest, the most frustrating and everything inbetween but, without them, and all their individual intricacies, this business would not exist.

I plan to remain a part of the FT community for as long as everyone can tolerate my input, so fear not, I'm not going anywhere just yet. [Smile]

Brad, I'd like to thank you especially for providing this forum for those in the industry to come together and educate and entertain one another. I have learned many things during my years on FT and I can only hope that, in my numerous posts, I have, in some way, helped someone else out in some form.

With that, I bid you adiue.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 04:47 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised you lasted that long with 'that company.' I suppose it was the last few months that really did it for you. I'm beginning to wonder if I was a bit to hasty in accepting my current position with them.....

In any event, good luck. I know I haven't replied to your last email yet, will get to that soon.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, I wish you the very best young man.

I too have tendered my resignation after only seven months added to my 26 years in the business. I have a physical problem (damaged tendons in my feet) that causes me constant pain from all the walking required in my position and the doctor has not yet been able to eliminate that pain except by medication. I really don't want to live the rest of my life on that stuff.

I'm going into another field that requires little walking but will still continue to pursure my dream of a "film club" (a private screening room for members only).

Keep us informed.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 06:52 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

Goodluck in your new venture in life...I know I've enjoyed some of your sarcastic comments and quick wit. I for one can say that I've learned from some of your posts...for instance I know to never call you no matter where you are and pretend to be EDI and ask for your weekly grosses...A sure fire way to set Jason off. [Big Grin]

Once again, goodluck in the future and hope to see you around the boards.

We all need a good laugh in the business of ours.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 06:52 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally haven't been here long enough to really know much about Jason. During my short amount of timeon this message board I've noticed that Jasons contributions to be most valuable to other people on the board.

Before you leave the industry go ahead and get yourself cloned. The industry and the message board could use more people such as yourself.

Keep up the great work and efforts. Are you staying in the NC region??

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2005 01:28 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More brain drain. Sad to see a thinking manager leaving the theater business. Have good luck & happiness in your next pursuit!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-01-2005 01:39 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason: While I certainly understand why you made that decision, it especially saddens me because not only are we friends, but you have the philosophy of how to manage a theatre that I really like. I know you will be successful in your new endeavor and I sincerely wish you good luck.

I still look forward to continuing our personal telephone conversations on 976-PHIL and I hope you will continue to maintain your membership to Phil's SeXXX Den.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2005 08:07 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck, Jason.

You were in touch with me during my period of unemployment, and I won't forget that. I wish you well, and hope you find the dream job... somewhere close by.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2005 07:17 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason- I sent you an e-mail.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to see you leave the industry Jason. You are someone whom I could've worked very well with or for and I bet your theater staff will miss you greatly (well, not the ones who acted up [Wink] ). Don't be a stranger and be sure to let us know what you're up to.

(We will have to talk in the FT chat room, because that Martha gal on Phil SeXXX Den chat room scares me.)

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, Good Luck! Thanks for the advice you've given me, although I'm sure that won't stop coming. I hope you can actually use your straightforward attitude and approach to management in a more positive manner with future careers, instead of being restrained and forced into conformity by bunch of senile Georgians [Razz] .

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2005 01:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Jason - from Idaho.

Yes, I've been wondering about this as well, being in the film business 35 yrs if it's time to "pass the torch", but as long as I'm still healthy, lift film cans, carry prints on "pizza boards" and do all sort of the crazy things that keeps the film on the screen, I'll keep on plugging away at it.

Changes are always good. Don't feel bad for being a quitter, for quitting CAN be the happiest thing that can happen to a person when the right time come into place.

Good luck as always - Monte

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 02:34 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FIrst and foremost, I'd like to extend a 'Thank You' to all who have commented and to those who have emailed me. This is a trying time for me, as it isn't as easy to turn and walk away as I had myself convinced it would be. Leaving the company is one thing, leaving my lifelong passion is another. [Frown]

For example, my own district manager hasn't bothered to speak with me about this matter. He expressed 'sincere concern' to my city manager, but hasn't bothered to contact me. I consider that to not only be a real 'kick in the teeth' but also to be a real show of colors on his behalf. Good people, and there are some still out there, simply don't treat others this way. I sure couldn't and wouldn't for that fact. This really bothers me actually but I suppose it shouldn't.

On another note, the words of encouragement received here, and from friends and family, along with the support of my wife will go a long way. I look back at the things I've accomplished over the many years and know that I've given the best of me to the company, and it has, for the most part been a mutually rewarding relationship. I'll miss my regulars who always stopped by for my opinion, or simply to say "hello". These are, in my eyes, friends moreso than customers. I've grown to look forward to seeing them every so often, or, every weekend, in some cases. I'll miss most of my staff. I'll miss ALL of my managers. We are more like an extended family than co-workers. Two of them have been with me since the building was built in 1997.

Enough rambling, unless one has been in the same situation, it's doubtful you'd understand. This industry is either in your blood or it isn't. It's in mine.

Thanks again for all the suport. It's genuinely appreciated!

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

Sorry to hear your leaving. Seems like every time I turn around a good "theatre person" is leaving the business. Where have all the good theatre people gone to?

Thanks for your helpful emails, and I wish you the best of luck in your new venture!

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2005 10:20 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good luck Jason, sad to see you leave the business

quote: Timothy Ervin
Where have all the good theatre people gone to?

probably where there is more money/less stress and they are treated better

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: