Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Would you hire?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Would you hire??
Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you hire- Someone who walked off of a job without giving notice?

This person has an incredible resume; which has already checked out thoroughly. The same can be said for their level of education and their references.

They only have a few months of theater experience, and was hired on as a management trainee. They have impressive experience in most of the areas of theater operations such as: box office, concessions, stock & inventory control, etc. They were also partially trained for projection, but. It appears as though the history of their other management team members seems to have a bit of a problem effectively training.

This person also has a proven track record and history of properly managing other retain applications, and even their own self employed company. The person clearly stated that they regreted walking off the job without giving the proper amount of notice. Also that they had never done anything like this before or would never want to do it again.

My present standpoint on the issue is- I agree the theater that they walked away from is indeed improperly managed. I'd have to put most of the fault of the issue in the former theater- but still let some of it remain with the employee who walked.

Would it be too much of a gamble to hire this person, given the fact that there last position (in a theater) was a job they walked away from? I'd presently consider hiring this employee as being a good risk or gamble. Given the above issue would you support or disagree.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-25-2005 10:10 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, it's a judgement call. They are evidently being very upfront about the situation at the previous (poorly managed) theatre, so it could just have gotten to the point of "take this job and shove it". If it was a single incident, and the work record is otherwise really good, it could work out (assuming your theatre is well managed and employees enjoy working for you).

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 10:45 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the fact they walked out of (what you describe as) an improperly managed theater is a plus. Lesser folk would stay. Hire him, hire him quickly, he may have integrity.

Then note what Brad has said on the Uptown theatre thread about staff and how to treat them.

If he walks out on you, you'll know your theatre is bust too :-)

In my experience, bad management is far more prevalent than bad staff.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 11:11 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably would like to see his application before I made a decision but from what I had read, I would hire him. Yes it is bad he just walked off the job, but the point is, that he regretted it and probably will not do it again. But of course it is your decision.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 11:28 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which chain did he leave? Which theatre? Have you checked the referance at the theatre, or are you taking his word for how the events transpired?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2005 11:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Checking with the previous theater won't do much good. Most places won't permit from a legal standpoint to be able to speak negatively of any previous employee, and most managers have the attitude that they have done no wrong, even if they did treat the guy like shit to the point of him walking out.

Knowing only what I know, I would give the guy a shot. Ultimately you're going to have to trust your gut instinct.

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2005 12:20 AM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this person in presently employed the decision maker for me would be what they put for "when can you start employment with us".

If they put after two weeks notice I would hire this person.

If they put A.S.A.P and they are employed I would be hesitant of hiring them.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-26-2005 12:22 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Define "Walked off the job."

Did the guy walk out the door in the middle of a shift?
In that case I would NOT hire. That means the guy is likely to be a hothead. He'll make rash decisions. He'll do things that get himself (and you) into trouble without thinking of the consequences first.

Did the guy just not show up for work one day?
This means about the same as above but not as severe. Maybe he WAS justified in not showing up but shows a lack of judgement. I wouldn't rule him out in a situation like this but I'd be thinking about it.

Did the guy finish a sift, turn in his keys and uniform then say, "I quit."??
This shows that the guy has at least SOME sense of responsibility. Maybe not the best judgement in the world but at least he finished out the day before quitting. If the reasons are good I wouldn't rule him out.

Is your state an "Employment at Will" juristdiction or does his former employer have an "Employment at Will" clause in their application/employee policies? (And, YOU, for that matter.)
In this case I don't think you can hold it against him unless it was an egregious circumstance like leaving in the middle of a shift.

Finally, was there some tension between him and the former employer? If there was, I'd try to get to the bottom of it if I could. If the former employer was making life difficult for him he might have been justified in walking out. I know a woman who started working as an accountant at a firm that tried to force her to "cook the books". She didn't want any part of it so she finished out her shift and quit. She hadn't been working there for a week. What would YOU have don in her place?

If the guy has a good explanation and doesn't have any other black marks on his record I'd hire him on an explicit trial basis. (Most states have a trial period for new hires anyway, don't they?)

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I double checked and verified all of the statements that were made by the employee that walked out- in mid shift, after turning in his keys, and ever so quietly walking out the door in disappointment. It appears as though he has a very well documented case on his side. He made every effort to resolve and negotiate tactfully.

This person really puts some pride into his work. After some more checking I've discovered that he's never been late for work, and has only missed two days in his entire work history- one due to a root canal. He was obviously very saddened (is that a word?) by his inability to resolve this particular puzzle.

Besides this one single instance, he has every indication of always acting very responsibly. He's a married father, a homeowner, and likes not much more than to put in a hard days work. He's giving me every impression that he is interested in long term career goals.

From all of the information I've gathered so far: He definately doesn't appear to be a hothead. He clearly thinks through all of his decisions like an expert chess player. He always appears to be one step ahead and bases most of decision making upon whats refered to as multiple perspective thinking such as- I wonder what party b and c would think of this move.

From every indication he was actually dodging any further conflict. He may have actually been making a better judegement call by leaving. Theres a very good probability he may have been stuck in a no win type of situatation.

He tactfully appears to have wanted to make it a better place by occasionally offering a few suggestions here and there. The existing management at the place he left are all intent at keeping it their way or the...

Some more about his former theater chain: They've been through four managers within a years time at just one theater unit. Most of the employees openly complain that there isn't adequate training and even *from the employees perspective* no adequate supervision?!?

Ironically the present general manager has already basically lost two of his theaters, and is looking to get rid of a third. All of those losses due to incredibly poor customer service. The presentation at all of the chains theaters are literally the worst I've seen. They make a first run movie thats only had a handfull of showings look as though its a second run facility.

There are three different competing chains that are already taking advantage of this. If the present management and their ideas stay in place I'd elect to place my chips on the bet that they won't be around at this same time next year.

I personally don't like to see any type of business fail. But, based on what I've been observing lately (especially with this employee walking out the door) this small theater chain might be well beyond repair. Very sad...

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company I work for does not require notice. Given what you have posted I'd hire him.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-26-2005 03:09 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think generally, you have answered your own question since you have been politely defending him. In this day/age, he sounds like a 'gold mine.' I'd hire him.

Many years ago, I was in one of those 'chain' eyeglass centers. It had just opened, and I was in getting a new pair of glasses. A few feet away, the manager was training a new employee (a young girl.)

Manager: So, you should great the customer, smile and say ....
Girl: Sometimes I don't feel like smiling.
Manager: Well, um, yes, but you should be friendly and say...
Girl: I don't want to be his friend.
Manager: OK, but we want to make the customer feel good about comming here...
Girl: Well, somedays I'm just not in a good mood, you know? I mean, I do my job. If I'm in a bad mood I'm not gonna be rude, but I'm not gonna be all friendly-like. Sometimes I'm in a good mood, sometimes I'm not. That's just the way it is.
Manager: Yes, I understand, but....

I'm not making this up. I don't know why the manager put up with her, but he did, for the whole 1/2 hour or so I was there.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2005 04:36 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that I can't pretend to be a lawyer, and also don't even want to appear to be giving any type of legal advice, but...

Any contract is only valid if it is reasonable. It would have to be reasonable in the eyes of a mediator, a magistrate, a judge, or even a jury. If it is an unreasonable contract; it can be declared as invalid. There are also considerable differences between the types of contracts. Theres a difference between something such as falling behind on a loan, and falling behind in the money that one owes the internal revenue service.
Although technically the above mentioned items are both almost identical contractural violations.

Outside of any type of government position, a private employer cannot reuire you to give notice. This is America, and one is (basically) free to both come and go as they please, and also to switch jobs/careers at will.

Not to get off of the thread topic, but heres another law which is rather frequently broken by most employers. Some employers have the wrong impression that it may be alriht to withhold en amployees paycheck for failre to retun a uniform- or also if they may have been caught stealing.

If an employer wants to try to attempt this one then the employer is actually in violation of federal law- valid in all fifty (plus) states. This falls under an act similar to: judge, jury, and execution. More specifically- no one individual or entity may impose or withold anything of value against another without due and proper cause. So unless you also happen to be a judge or a magistrate- you may elect not to try that one.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Cross
Theres a difference between something such as falling behind on a loan, and falling behind in the money that one owes the internal revenue service.
Although technically the above mentioned items are both almost identical contractural violations.

except that, while the first one is a contractural violation, the second one is not.

carl

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2005 09:21 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carl Martin
except that, while the first one is a contractural violation, the second one is not.
Hume would disagree.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-26-2005 09:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, if you do not hire this guy, you will be BANNED.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: