Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal Theaters Quality Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Regal Theaters Quality Question
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 02:47 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just recently been exposed to a Regal Theater for the first time. Saw Aviator last week and Sideways this week. Both shows were poor presentations and I'm wondering if this is the norm for Regal. Aviator was out of focus on the right side of the picture for about half the feature and there was a constant 60HZ hum during the entire show including the pre-show video torture. The sound during Sideways glitched for just about the entire feature. I know it wasn't optical because the splices did not effect the sound so it was a digital format. Both pictures looked like bad (cheap) lenses with a slight haze effect. The picture jumped vertical for the entire showing of sideways, I assume a worn intermittant or someone threaded with too small a loop. At any rate, not what you'd expect for the $8.75 admission they charge, or is it the norm.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-14-2005 02:53 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "Sideways" was shot with lots of diffusion. Many scenes were desaturated and had "halation" (halos around light objects). I think this was the "look" they wanted.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward,

Are you talking about the KC-18?

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 02:59 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience is that every theatre, no matter which chain operates it, is different. It really depends on the management of the particular theatre. You could possibly go down the street to another Regal theatre and get a great show....or not.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-14-2005 03:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, well-managed circuits have a higher percentage of really good theatres. They invest in good presentation quality and in recruiting, training and keeping the best people, knowing that "Film Done Right" makes the audience want to come back to enjoy more movies. No one is perfect, but if presentation quality slips, you sink into mediocrity or worse.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 03:36 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Jurich
I know it wasn't optical because the splices did not effect the sound so it was a digital format.
At the theatre I work at, we have three out of six houses optical only. I've never heard so much as a pop when the splices go through in these houses, ever. However, I've been to the newest theatre in the State College area, sitting through previews is like hell. Every splice between trailers is quite audible. (I that find strange because they're all DTS. DTS doesn't cut out momentarily before every trailer, does it?) Anyway, my point goes back to what Eric said. I work for Carmike, which is probably one of the worst-run theatre companies of them all. However, we are one of the few Carmikes that has union projectionists in our booth five out of seven days a week, for all makeups/teardowns, and for any other booth related repair or modification. Maybe that's why I've never heard a splice. The Carmike 40 miles away doesn't have a contract; it shows in their presentation. While I'm not trying to make a plug for IATSE, I am trying to say that there will definitely be variation among theatres within a company.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 04:24 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have much experience with them. I saw a film at their 16 plex north of Wilmington DE the weekend it opened, and a new release had 2 thick emulsion scratches throughout. So I was underwhelmed since they should have been top notch across the board opening weekend.

The only other time I have attended anything else there was when the Phish concert was simulcast to theatres across the country last summer. their Digital preshow projector in those 2 houses were top notch, but other than that I couldn't judge

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 04:35 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever get out to the State of Washington stop by our Poulsbo 10, a Regal owned theatre and the most popular in the area.

Poor presentation is not a Regal policy but, frankly, is dependent on the GM. Ours is a stickler for quality presentation and we have auditorium checks three times during each performance. We have the brightest pics I have seen on any multiplex screen (we use 4500w xenons) and the focus and sound are always the best our equipment will give.

"Avaitor" had a pretty sharp image when it played here although the focus was not even from edge to edge. But I suspect that was a problem with the scope lens and not the print. "Sideways" was shot with "halation" as John said and I couldn't get a sharp focus on it to save my life. One of the sharpest films I have run recently was "Racing Stripes". I really never had to touch the focus knob after it was set and it seemed I could count the hairs on the zebra's back.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 04:36 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that from my experience Regal Cinemas and most Corporate Theatre companies, that they really don't care about the presentation of the theatre or the film. All they care about is the GreenBack that is lining the inside of their polyesther suit.

I've been to 1 Regal Cinema that I have attended, twice now, was their 20 screen theatre in Kent or Auburn Washington. Nice theatre, take after, and compliments Boeing. They have a nice Boeing 747 inside hanging above the lobby of concessions.

The first time that I went to this theatre, I think Randy, the tech that services all the theatre for Regal on the West Side of the Casscades had just been in there, and the presentation was AWESOME. The Sound was Perfect, and that was the first time I'd seen an SDDS Trailer, and loved it.

The Second time that I'd watched a movie there, I watched Shrek 2, and the Sound again was awesome, but the picture was horrible. Scratches through out the print, and the projector was off center. there was a 4-6" gap of screen before the masking, and it showed.

Those are my two experiences of the theatre managed by Regal. I've yet to try one here in FL, and I've applied for the Winter Park 20. I have to say that I don't know what the work ethic is of Regal Cinemas is like, but for the love of film, I'm willing to try it.

-=Thomas=-

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-14-2005 05:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Allen: Do you know if your theater was formerly owned by Act III? Do you know when it was built, or when the last major refurbishment was? Act III did a lot uprading and expansion around 1995 and they seemed to do a pretty good job selecting quality stuff. The Regal here in Eugene is a former Act III. When it was remodeled in 1995, it was all-THX, Simplex, CP-65, DTS/SRD and a couple SDDS, 4.5KW lamps, etc. and they're capable of putting on a pretty good show if the operators pay attention. Most of the time they do OK.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It is entirely dependent upon the particular theater.

First and most important is the caring of the management and projection team. (Actually I've known some theaters with management that couldn't have given a rat's ass about presentation, but the projection staff was a picky bunch that put on phenomenal presentations anyway.)

Second is the quality and laziness status of the tech servicing that theater. If the tech is a lazy waste of space, that theater doesn't stand a chance no matter how incredible the projection team is.

So if you find that a chain theater (Regal or otherwise) has a lousy presentation at all of their theaters in a certain area, odds are the tech is to blame. Otherwise if it is hit and miss in terms of quality, the management of the crappy locations are to blame.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 06:05 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
I think "Sideways" was shot with lots of diffusion. Many scenes were desaturated and had "halation" (halos around light objects). I think this was the "look" they wanted.

Aviator had the same look

quote: Jim Ziegler
Are you talking about the KC-18?
I'm in Indianapolis now, it was up in Carmel, In.

quote: Robert E. Allen
We have the brightest pics I have seen on any multiplex screen
Oh, I almost forgot, the lamp flickered the entire show during Sideways and picture brightness was not what you'd expect.

The scope lense for Aviator was not in straight, not bad enough to say it was bad but there was a slight twist to the picture.
The only other theater I've been to here is an old AMC. Kinda dingy but at least the picture and sound were good. I'll have to try some other theaters around Indy.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 06:42 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, Why would anyone who knows better sit through such a crappy presentation without trying to get it resolved? The Regal here in Manassas (originally Hoyt's) has a first rate presentation. Razor sharp focus, uniform screen illumination and good sound.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-14-2005 07:17 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal in the late 1990's bragged on their investors page that they spent less money per square foot on their multiplexes than any major exhibitor. I've been to one multiplex actually built by Regal, and it certainly reflected that. But at the same time, it all worked, and since the audio had a strikingly similar tone to a cheap home bookshelf system, their patrons probably think it's just awesome.

To Regal's credit, I'm impressed that they've basically kept up the old Act III houses. I used to drive three hours south to see EVERYTHING at Kansas City 18 when Act III opened it. I don't get down there much now, but when I do, everything still works. And the staff there is much nicer now than they used to be.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 12:35 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David:

The Poulsbo 10 and Lakewood 15 were the last of the ACT 3 theater designs before Regal took over. Both opened in 1997 IIRC. The new Regal Martin Village 16 under construction right now here in Olympia is being built very nicely indeed. Top of the line concrete block walls are mostly done now. I understand this will be an all Strong booth. Looks like this will be a very nice theater complex when it's finished.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: