Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » GKC up for sale?!? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: GKC up for sale?!?
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 06:50 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I've heard this rumor for 3 months or so but never really got any rock solid answers. I've got people from Corporate saying that its for sale...our Tech is saying its up for sale, Even our Concession Delivery guy says there selling. But anyone and everyone that works at GKC is mum.

But from what I've heard Marcus Cinemas out of Wisconsin are seriously looking in to buying them out...So much that they went around and looked at all of there locations including the locations of the competion in that area. Including some of our Theaters. Now I'm just woundering what any of you have heard about this? Any new News, I think this is a major deal in the theater industry...When a company with 500 screens already is looking at aquiring a possible 250 more(estimate not sure how many screens GKC has off the top of my head) Thats a pretty big move in the industry. What kind of effect do you guys think it will have on the industry as well?

Everyones comments welcome

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a current employee of GKC for almost 9 years I'll just tell you this..

I cannot confirm or deny the claims that the company is up for sale [Wink]

you can read into that however you want to but I think you already know the answer to your question of 'is it for sale'.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 11:10 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its strange that corporate is giving you one answer, and that gkc isn't giving one at all.

Another issue which wasn't factored in was that: Wonder what type of person is electing to keep all of the secrets reguarding a possible sale? Also curious as to why there hasn't been a letter (or even a memo) to either acknowledge or deny the rumors of a possible sale.

To think that some higher up wants to keep everyone in the dark. Sure hope that this person (or persons) responsible are able to sleep comfortably at night knowing that there are many families out there wanting to know about their job security and where the next paycheck is coming from.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2005 05:08 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Cross
To think that some higher up wants to keep everyone in the dark. Sure hope that this person (or persons) responsible are able to sleep comfortably at night knowing that there are many families out there wanting to know about their job security and where the next paycheck is coming from.
Isn't that standard modus operandi in the theatre biz? I always hear of some theatre closing in the dead of night, where maybe only the manager knows and he has the techs come in and remove the equipment, just chopping off all the wires/leads/cables wherever they may lie, and posting a note on the door for the unsuspecting employees to hit once they return to work the next day...and find the door locked and them out of a job! Sounds terrible but it seems to be commonplace! [Frown]

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point and observation Justin.

Also noted as being "standard modus operandi" would be to have every single one of the employees ride out on unemployment. If challanged about the unemployment- then simply appeal until "someone" gives in.

It makes one wonder what is being taught in schools (and by parents) nowadays. Very depressing.

[Roll Eyes]

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 11:54 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When GKC closed my 'home away from home' last May, all of us knew it was closing, just not exactly when. So, one Sunday, the big wigs of home office came in, and told us "the last show is tonight and all of you are fired...but you can re-apply if you want to."

I can see both points of view, when closing a business, from corporate and the employee's. Unfortunately it's a loose loose situation and I wish there were a 'right' way, but I don't think there is.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2005 12:56 AM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few states which have things on the books such as:

Employers must inform all employees that they are "planning" on going out of business or have an intent on selling it. The key word being- planned or intent.

It would also be convenient to have union representation or some other type of labor contract.

In conclusion: I always like it when on an employment application it usually states that an employee can be fired for misrepresenting themselves on the application- and can also be fired for representing themselves while on the job. Meanwhile of the other side of the scales- employers can go ahead an lie to each and every employee (even as a single group at a meeting) and then get away with it. Unfortunatly- only in America.

...End of Rant...

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that most of your employees (50-75% or better) at most locations are students (HS or College). Giving them notice that the location was closing, etc. would lead to many problems ... a drop in customer service (who cares, the place is closing anyways), and pilferage.

WHO CARES IF THE EMPLOYEES ARE KEPT IN THE DARK ABOUT A POTENTIAL MERGER OR THE COMPANY BEING SOLD? THAT'S NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS ... IT'S A CORPORATE DECISION THAT WILL MOST LIKELY RESULT IN THE EMPLOYEES RETAINING THEIR JOBS ... JUST UNDER A DIFFERENT BANNER.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 12:47 AM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes its a corporate decision, but in America there should also be a thing which is rarely lived up to; which is corporate responsibility.

Maybe thats why the United States is getting deep sixed by companies from outside of this country and also items imported here. Look what happened to all of the big American auto manufacturers:

Chrysler's now for all practical purposes a German company.
Most of GM's subdivisions are on their way to the same place that Oldsmobile went. The American automobile will soon be a minority due to things such as improper corporate responsibility and the lack of ability to compete.

Maybe if there were more corporate responsibility then a company could EARN the right to be refered to as one of the top 100 best places to work. If not quite that- then how about a place where employees actually respect their work and their employer? A companies bottom line and profits can be greatly assisted by having an employer that doesn't have a revolving door policy and is actually able to retain quality employees.

I've noticed too many theaters closing due to improper management and issues such as those noted above. Maybe that explains why the theater industry has seen much better days; all of them in the past. Thats also a major contributing facto to why the future of the theater industry will lie with the untra large chains such as Lowes.

Corporate responsibility is one of the key factors why businesses fail

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 01:06 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,

[beer] to what you said! If some theater companies listened to their managers on new ideas and feedback, and maybe if went out on a limb and TRIED one of those ideas (heaven forbid...), then things may be different. AND If home office wouldn't turn a blind eye to the crap that managers were pulling, things could and would be different as well.

Going back to Marcus theaters... has anyone worked for them? How do you like the company?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2005 08:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
Going back to Marcus theaters... has anyone worked for them? How do you like the company?

Having done technical work for GKC some years ago when I lived back in the Midwest area I can honestly say that Marcus(even back then) runs rings around GKC at least from a technical standpoint. GKC theatres were always run of the mill, many were plain run down, and generally ALOT lower quality then its better brother Kerasoates Theatres. Marcus would sure have to pour some dough into the GKC chain to get it to their level of quality. My best guess would be that you'd have a better life working for Marcus.... but expect to actually have to work!!

Mark

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason for the tight lippedness from GKC in this instance (and from any company considering a sellout/buyout/merger) has to do with the cut-throat nature of the corporate world and the theatre industry in particular? I will admit I don't know a lot about GKC, but if the companies stock isn't 'closely held' then another company could attempt to stop the sellout/merger via a hostile takeover or a variety of other nasty actions.

There isn't any reason that anyone at the theatre level-including the GM-needs to know the details of such plans.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 07:58 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Spaeth
Keep in mind that most of your employees (50-75% or better) at most locations are students (HS or College).
So, teens and college kids deserve no respect? Even by your ratio, you're saying that 25-50% are non-students...so it's OK to just say, "F*ck 'em!" to them and their families? I'm with Don on this, corporations need to act responsibly. With managers of such corporations lacking any humanity and corporations shirking their responsibilities to society, no wonder the kids (whom Michael worries about) hold such poor attitudes towards their OWN responsibilities to their employers (and others). Selfish actions by corporations and adults teach kids a lot (and a lot of it is BAD). No, the employees don't need to know all the intimate details and trade secrets behind a decision to close...just that they deserve at least some compassion and respect as employees of the company to be told when their facility is closing, i.e. when they are losing their jobs.

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 12:31 AM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reguardless of how much salary I'd make or the title; I would never refer to any worker as either a worker bee or someone who just should grab and ore and keep rowing.

A bit of advice (personal and professional) to those who (wrongly) believe that their employees might be expendable and/or replaceable: Try to remember the golden rule- treat others as you would want to be treated (because afterall) what comes around goes around.

I sleep quite content at night and never have to look back over my shoulder because I've treated any employee unfairly. Being almost forty years old I could use any of the people I've even had the pleasure of working with (or for) as a referance.

Out of those American companies which are left in the fortune 500 look at how many of them have made it to where they are today because of the teamwork between management and the remaining workers. An employee who is part of the team and not looked down upon is a valuable asset.

Sure theres always places like Enron, but luckily those are few and far between. The only way for a company to truely succeed and flourish is to work in a well respected team; and not a place where one has to question where their next paycheck might come from- due to a company secret decision.

Darn , I must really be reading too many of those darn fortune cookies.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 12:59 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Don, everyone in an organization should be expendable. If a manager builds an operation that cannot function without individual employees, including the manager himself, they are a poor manager.

The avenue any company will take really depends on its situation. In many cases, it is clearly not in the interests of a company to announce a closure to the staff.

If I were a CEO, I would most likely not annouce a closure. However, I would, depending on the reason for the closure, offer a couple of weeks severance pay.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: