Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New Zealand Calling! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Zealand Calling!
Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
after 25 years of living in the states, with 9 of those years dedicated to the theatre, i now find myself in the north shore of auckland, new zealand. top priority here was to find a job. lucky for me, an up-scale 4-plex nearby was looking for a manager and now i start there on friday.

it will be interesting to discover the differences in the patrons, not only for the part of town, but also the location in the world. any kiwis out there care to lend some helpful hints about operations down here? boss!

|  IP: Logged

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2005 07:13 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Victoria Devonport I guess ? I worked there many years ago when it was Kerridge Odeon. The Auckland market seems very compeditive - how's business ?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-05-2005 10:53 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'm looking to do the same thing myself, somewhere, anywhere outside of the U.S.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2005 07:57 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
things are going well so far but i think the one thing thats going to be the most difficult to accept is the lack of product compaired to the states. from what i understand, oz gets much of the us releases and then nz gets the leftovers of that. not that everything out of the states is gold, most of it sucks, but the variety was always there. its all good though, im excited to really get going in this new position. cheers!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic here. Brian, I worked with your old buddy Nate from Lennox down here in Mesquite. I just thought it was a weird coincidence.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2005 02:30 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian , now in the land of the Rings,

As your australian neighbour I should pass on some helpfull New Zealand language hnits which most aussies have been given.

How to Speak New Zealander

Milburn – capital of Victoria
Peck – to fill a suitcase
Pigs – for hanging out washing
Pissed aside – chemical which kills insects
Pug - large animal with curly tail
Min – male of the species
Mess Kara – eye makeup
Mc kennock – person who fixes cars
Lift – departed
Inner me- Enemy
Fush – a marine creature
Fear Hear – blonde
Ear – mixture of oxygen and nitrogen
Ear Roe bucks - exercise and the gym
Duffy Cult – not easy
Day old Chuck – young chicken
Bug Hut – very popular song
Beard – a place to sleep
Suck Peck – 6 cans of beer
Brudge – structure spanning a river
Earplane – large flying machine
Cuds – children
Pits – domestic animals
Cuttin – baby cat

Phil

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Brian!

Do you have any control over the booking? If so, just remember the U.S. is not the only country that makes films. In fact, it has been my experience than there are better films made in many countries.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2005 12:51 AM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Victoria Devonport was converted into a three screen complex in the late 80's by Charlie Gray cinemas. It later became in independant and I think it has closed again now for development, at least it was closed when I was in Auckland in July 2004.

P.S. Nice one Phil [Smile]

[ 02-08-2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Robert John Jeromson ]

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to NZ , Devonport 3 , I heard this was set for a Trust to restore the cinema , sounds like this is the old Tudor Takapuna now called the "Berkeley" Cinema , but they seem to have lots of product ???? as there are very few cinemas on the North Shore ,"Bridgeway" Northcote (twinn) "Hoyts" (6 or 8) Devonport (Triple) but there where plans for a Four Screen and the Updated "Berkeley" .

If it is the Devonport Cinema they did have problems getting product once the Berkeley opened other screens and become part of the Berkeley Chain of Cinemas , as Devonport used to get all the product as the then Tudor was only a Single screen showing mainly Art type films , best guy to contact is John Hart who runs the "Bridgeway" and "Academey" cinemas , he is also a Film Distributor .

Auusie Phil , cool Kiwi .... you got right on , git some more Shrimps on the Barbie mate .

PS Brian , we do seem to get all to refurbised prints long after the Aussies and the product range is very limited , when I was in the States "Napoleon Dynamite" was my kids favourite movie , but no where to be seem here .

James Falloon
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2005 12:09 AM      Profile for James Falloon   Email James Falloon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to say Hi and welcome to New Zealand.

The most important piece of advise I can give you: Remember to drive on the left hand side of the road over here. [Big Grin]

Christopher John Wilson
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2005 07:12 PM      Profile for Christopher John Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own and operate the Metro Cinema in Dunedin, you didn't say which multiplex (Hoyts, Village Rialto or Berkley)... I wish you all the best working for a corporate...
Don't know where you got the information from regarding product supply, but there is no shortage of film... day and date with world releases in the art house and cross over market.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 02:47 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian was talking about variety of films available here , as alot of movies released in the USA will never see the screens here in NZ and maybe go straight to Video or DVD or not bother to be released here in any form .
As for product we are getting films way behind other countries unless it is a Blockbuster to be released world wide , otherwise it will be on the Video Shelves in Walmart before we see it here .

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 08:11 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Phil - loved the vocab (my British girlfriend really likes the aquatic creature !). But do you really want to start on the Aussie / Kiwi thing ?

Q What do AUstralian women wear behind their ears to attract men ?
A Their feet !

I know that Charlie Gray had departed Charlie Grays before Devonport opened, then it ran as a local independant (I think under the Victoria name) until the mid 1990s. The North Shore has always been rich pickings - I opened the Brideway for Kelly Rogers and Matthew Stevens (ex Charlie Grays too) in 1987 and it did good business for a while..

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2005 03:45 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Peter .... the Bridgeway is doing real well now and has been rebuilt with Stadium Seating and they have taken over the building next door to make it into a Twinn , John Hart is running the cinema .The Big Screen is now a Curved screen wall to wall .

http://www.bridgeway.co.nz/

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul -

Good to hear that the place is running. Do you know how they stadiumed it ? There wasnt a lot of height to start with, although there was a void under the front of the cinema. Did they go down at the front or lose the ceiling ?

Curious about a couple of places I used to run - do you know what has become of the Capitol or Crystal Palace ? Do keep in touch

Cheers

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: