Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Possible Projection Offer (this thread has gone way off topic ... no guarantees) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Possible Projection Offer (this thread has gone way off topic ... no guarantees)
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2005 11:29 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, As you all know, I am an Assistant MAnager at my theatre. My manager left about 2 weeks ago and they have a new one. He is a really nice guy and can handle the place. I was told tonight by my DM that they are looking to to major rennovations to the theatre. In those rennovations, they will be hiring a projectionist or 2.He noticed my face when I found that out......I wasn't very pleased, I was concerned about the film.

My bosses know that I adore, and have a major fascination with running movies and everything about the booth and film. Upon being told that I might not project but VERY little, I was a little shocked. Their reasoning for hiring another projectionist is for that person to be concentrating on the movies, parking cars, directing traffic, lights, security in the field, etc. So it can leave management free to manage the theatre properly.

They also realize that I am new at this and are willing to help me in any way possible. However, the DM said to me that if I wanted to do only projection, and have them find another Assistant MGR, to tell him and the switch would be made. He said he wouldn't be mad, he just wants me to be honest with him. (He saw that I was upset after hearing about a seperate projectionist)

My dilemma is, I know they can't cut my pay, but I'm not sure if I would get the same amount of hours. I could also help in box, concession, and other places as needed.

The film and equipment are my baby, I really am considering the job. It is what I LOVE to do and if I can still get 40hrs doing it, I think it would be perfect.

I see his point of view about frreing up management to do other things, so it isn't a bad thing. I just am not sure yet. Any Opinions?

[ 02-19-2005, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2005 11:49 PM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, I would say that if there is a way for you to keep doing projection, then that is what you should try to do. Obviously your DM sees how much you enjoy it and is (hopefully) glad to have someone who is so willing to learn and improve. I can see how this would be a bit of a tough spot for you, but it sounds like you're in a good situation to work your way out of this jam. I'm actually surprised that your DM is being so facilitating in all this.

Anyways, like I said, if booth is what you really want, then whatever you can do to stay in the booth is what I think you should do.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 10:29 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel too bad, Richard. I've turned down many "promotions" to assistant manager just so I could stay in the booth. I even suggested "booth manager" to a few theaters that didn't have one, where I would work mainly in the booth but help out on the floor where/when I can. The corporate chains didn't like that, but you might have a better shot if it's an independent.

If your DM said he's ok with it, then I would assume he's being honest with you like you're being honest with him. I've been in situations where the GM was actually upset/offended that I didn't want the assistant manager position. They wanted to give me a gold nametag and $0.25 more and make me yell at kids all day. Sorry, but I'd rather yell at the projectors, they listen better. [Wink]

=TMP=

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-01-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
I know they can't cut my pay
Why not?

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 10:48 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, If you reach a certain pay rate, if your position changes, they can't legally cut your pay. I may be wrong though.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 10:49 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a "never ending story"?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 11:23 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I live, it's when they change your job description, then they can change your pay. It's when an employeer tries to reduce your pay for the same work that the state gets interested. Remember, though, there are many ways around these laws, and often employees don't have the legal resources to fight it. However, your company seems cool so probably there won't be a problem.

Can you do both? Be an assistant mgr during the week, then only work in the booth on Friday and Saturday when it's most important.

Generally, I think you have to think about it and decide what your long-term goals are. There is probably more money in management, but not quite as much fun.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would seem to me that it would be a mistake to leave management for a projection position. Projection, while a lot of fun, as a career is mostly dead end job. Management, on the other hand, gives you skills that you can use to get future jobs, both in and out of the industry. Whatever career you eventually end up with, the management experience will give you a head start in getting the job and getting ahead.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to agree with Mitchell. Besides, when digital projection finally arrives, the control of projection will move to the office.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 05:53 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
I'll have to agree with Mitchell. Besides, when digital projection finally arrives, the control of projection will move to the office.

It may not matter. We will probably be dead by the time it gets that spread out. If anything the Drive-in will probably shutdown before digital becomes an issue. But who knows. My advice is stick with management but see if there is a way to work some days in the booth and be responsable for making sure everything is maintained. All managers should run and know the booth just in case someone doesn't show up.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 06:18 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
depends on what you want to do with your life, Richard. Being a manager always looks better, plus if they are having you do more mgmt. related tasks, you could always move up. This will look a lot better on your resume. I know it sucks not working booth that much, but if you want to get ahead, stick with mgmt.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-01-2005 10:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

From previous experience, you know that politics in the movie theater can be downright Faustian at times.

You know the business is full of the kind of people who would stab you in the back sooner than look at you.

Don't worry about the projectors unless that's what you really want to do. Besides, if your boss knows you can take care of the machines really well, whether your're officially a manager or a projectionist, you will be working on the projectors at least part of the time.

Take care of YOURSELF!

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2005 11:34 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I think about it, I do agree that it would be better to say in management. I have talked with uppers and have told them that I still want to build and breakdown film and be a major part in the persons training since I know the machines best anyways.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2005 02:03 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dean Kollet
This will look a lot better on your resume.
Blah! Working management at a theater or working management at a grocery store equates to the same thing on a resume. However, a technical position such as projection may land you a better job in a more technical-oriented or mechanical field. Don't throw all the fun out of a job by moving to another position simply for stature.

But like everyone said, it really depends on what you want to do later in life, I guess. But never go for something just because "it will look good on the resume." There's a name for those kinds of people, aptly called "resume builders." They're the type that only seek out jobs or education and stay with it only long enough so that it "looks good on the resume." Then they move on, usually leaving a trail of shit behind them because they can't be bothered passing the torch since they've got the next best thing lined up. Very, very bad attitude to take towards your career.

To be completely honest, my projection and computer/technical experience has gotten me further than my management experience. Maybe it's because I put more passion into that kind of work, or maybe it's just because I don't like to be responsible for telling people what to do. I like to do it myself. [Smile]

But just because you think someone will be more impressed with you hearing "manager" than "projectionist" when inquiring about your previous employment is not a good enough reason to switch, IMHO.

=TMP=

P.S. And the digital projection crap needs to stop, really. We've had personal computers for nearly 30 years now but we still need to hire idiots to operate filing cabinets all day. Jobs aren't going anywhere, unless they're going overseas. And I haven't found a lens with a big enough throw yet. [Razz]

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2005 04:41 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

I woudl suggest keeping your mangerment position, but taking on the booth as your own area of oversight. Train your porjectionists to do things the way you want them done and keep an eye on them. You can still be very involved in the booth without threading shows all day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: