Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Fox Ships Hide and Seek Without Final Reel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Fox Ships Hide and Seek Without Final Reel
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 06:53 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Source: ComingSoon.net
Dateline: January 25, 2005

For the first time in its illustrious 70-year history, 20th Century Fox will be shipping prints of a motion picture to theaters across the nation without the picture's final reel. The unprecedented move is part of a major effort to protect the pay-off of the studio's terrifying suspense-thriller Hide and Seek, starring Robert De Niro and Dakota Fanning.

Fox has taken extraordinary measures to safeguard the critical final reel, which is shipping separately. In addition to shipping the reel separately, security guards will hand-deliver the reel to all playdate theaters across the U.S. As a final security measure, Fox has numbered all final reels.

Hide and Seek opens nationwide this Friday, January 28.

Commented Fox executive VP and general sales manager Richard Myerson: "'Hide and Seek' is a terrific picture with an ending that everyone will be talking about. To ensure everyone's enjoyment of the film and to prevent 'spoilers', we've instituted extraordinary measures. We think it's worth the effort."

Hide and Seek, rated "R" for frightening sequences and violence, is about a widowed father who desperately tries to break through to his nine year old daughter when she creates a creepy, maniacal "imaginary" friend with a terrifying vendetta. The film also stars Famke Janssen, Elisabeth Shue, Amy Irving and Dylan Baker. It is directed by John Polson, produced by Barry Josephson, and written by Ari Schlossberg.

Now is it just me or is this just moronic...What the hell have the film companys learned in the past month with all the late arival prints. Now we have to wait till Friday morning to get the last real to the Big Feature of the weekend. What happens when it dosn't arrive cause of a snow storm. What are we supposed to tell the customers...sorry sir you can watch the first 5 reels but your not going to find out the "GREAT" ending...you'll have to pay your $7.50 and come back next Monday Cause they don't ship over the weekend.

In closing this has got to be one of the dumbest things possible...From me to Fox executive VP and general sales manager Richard Myerson a Big [fu] [fu] [fu]

I forgot...FUCKING SECURITY GUARDS ARE TO DELIVER THE FINAL REEL!!!! How many people want to bet that its handed to you just like a replacement real would be...no one special just the delivery guy....WHAT A FUCKING JOKE!
Now that my rants over whats everyone else's opinons on this?

[ 01-25-2005, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Kurt Zupin ]

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-25-2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This story sounds kind of like a round a bout way to build hype for a movie. The tactic makes me even more suspicious the show will stink.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-25-2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Publicity stunt.

They should have opened the movie on Wednesday, that way if there were any problems, a theatre might only lose one day vs. a whole weekend.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-25-2005 07:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just ridiculous. God forbid this doesn't have any issues with the late delivery of the last reel, then fucking EVERY movie will start shipping like this for "security reasons".

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally ridiculous...as Mike said, sounds like a stupid publicity stunt to me!

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens to the theatres that do not open until late in the afternoon? Who's going to accept deliver for that final reel????

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 11:04 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would simply call the distributor and tell them, "We've changed our minds and found a better picture from a different distributor. We're canceling our booking".

This movie must be a real pile of shit---maybe they should leave out all the reels!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 11:10 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like some bonehead from my company made this decision...

"Let's make the situation worse by compounding the completixity of day to day operations. Fuck the managers-- they'll get over it.. or we'll replace them..."

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 11:48 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny ... they didn't leave the last reel out from the trade screening ... I could spoil it for Fox here in this forum ....

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 02:31 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are we supposed to video tape the whole movie now since it is not arriving complete. My masses of video pirates are going to be angry at me. What am "I" going to do about this? [evil] [evil] [evil] [evil] [evil]

AJG

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thats great!!

And in 3 weeks after this movie bombs horribly, ill return the print, with the last reel missing...ya know for "security" reasons.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-26-2005 03:58 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wont even get the print untill 2Am. Will the hand delivered final reel wind up showing up at 4?

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 01-26-2005 06:20 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Don Anderson
What happens to the theatres that do not open until late in the afternoon? Who's going to accept deliver for that final reel????
We open late afternoon on Friday's...I build all movies on Thursday nights and will be out of town Friday. My manager's gonna be pissed.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This also reminds me of the time we played Wild Wild West at the Skyline drivein. We ran double features and we were opening Wild Wild West first run. Normally our films show up an hour before showtime! Well I dragged the film cans upstairs and started sorting thru which was going onscreen first. Put the two cans of the second feature in the corner since I had to build the WWW first. Looked at the label on the cans it said "3 can shipment". Oh shit! There's only two cans here! Needless to say we ran only one movie that Friday night and the owner made several frantic calls to find the other can. Pony Express (our film delivery company at the time) had completely lost one entire can and could not account for it. The studio shipped us the replacement reels the next day and we were back to running two features again that Saturday night.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 02:26 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I questing the authenticity of this story.. My print of Hide and Seek showed up yesterday with all reels included.

I though the movie was decent, the ending was pretty good though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: