Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » small indie theater under threat (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: small indie theater under threat
Webster Colcord
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 01:36 AM      Profile for Webster Colcord   Author's Homepage   Email Webster Colcord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Series of Unfortunate Events

By Julia Park

The small but scrappy Central Cinema, which opened its doors to offer second-run movies for children and families in December, has unintentionally sparked a conflict between the operator and the city over zoning.

The one-screen cinema is housed in the former Alameda Multi-Cultural Community Center (AMCCC) at 842 Central Ave. and offers casual seating on couches and armchairs in one large screening room. The operator of the business, Alamedan Mark Haskett, said he has been harassed since opening in December by city inspectors over alleged building, code and zoning violations. Haskett said he checked the zoning for the neighborhood, which is C-1, zoned for a neighborhood business district, before opening and believed his planned use conformed to that definition. The AMCCC had shown films on occasion, and both the AMCCC and the previous tenant, a mortuary, used neighborhood street parking on a regular basis.

However, a city building inspector visited the day Haskett opened for business and gave him a letter citing zoning infractions; a later visit from the fire marshal brought a list of fire and safety hazards. Haskett received another letter from the fire marshal in early January with a $250 fine for lack of permits and other infractions.

Fire Marshal Mike Fisher explained, “They opened a theater for commercial use. It’s not zoned for that use. The use permit was not for a theater.” He detailed some of the city’s safety concerns: the projection room is not the required size for safe operation, wasn’t vented properly for the heat generated by projection equipment and there were clearance issues around the moving parts of the equipment. Fisher also cited issues around proper signage, fire extinguishers and storage of film, all of which Haskett said he has remedied.

“We had them create more aisles (around the sofas, which could have caused problems for exiting); they corrected that on the spot,” said Fisher.

“We did the initial inspection, noticed the violations, (then) gave a notice of order to discontinue use of the projector due to lack of permits,” said Fisher. But because Haskett continued to operate without being in compliance, “We issued a $250 administrative citation with a one-time fee.”

Haskett said he was granted a business license in the usual manner in October, as well as building permits for electrical and other upgrades, and, aside from clarification that he was indeed in a C-1 zone, no one questioned his planned use of the building at the time. But 30 minutes before his first screening, city inspectors asked him to shut down. He said inspectors refused to enter the building to check for violations and would not meet with Haskett and his attorney; Haskett also said someone called his film distributor to say the cinema was closing, and Haskett’s credit was revoked. He said of the city, “They’re claiming things that aren’t true.”

Assistant City Manager Paul Benoit explained that commercial theaters are allowed in some areas, but not in a C-1 zone. The nuances of zoning law are such that “If it’s not listed in one zone, then it’s not allowed.” A non-profit agency like the AMCCC running an occasional film is different from a privately operated commercial movie theater, which is also very different from a mortuary, Benoit said. The two issues at hand for the city are zoning and fire safety/building permits.

While Benoit said the Central Cinema is in violation on a number of counts, and is in fact operating illegally at the present time, all is not lost. Benoit said Haskett can apply to the city through the Planning Board to amend the C-1 zone to allow a commercial theater. The process could take up to six months, and Haskett will likely have to shut down during that process, said Benoit.

Neighbors call and e-mail Haskett daily to say how much they love the cinema, and Daysog said he liked the idea of the small “boutique, niche” cinema and felt that any outstanding issues could be resolved happily for all parties. The slippery slope at hand, however, is that the city cannot allow a noncompliant business to operate without regard for city ordinances, said Benoit. Other business owners have voiced their concern over a business operating outside the proper zoning or selective enforcement, and Benoit said if the theater were showing, for example, adult films instead of family fare, the uproar would be enormous. “We don’t have the luxury of saying ‘we like that (family movies) so let’s waive the rules,’” he said.

Because of the complaint and the violations, the city has to follow the letter of the law, said Benoit. “From the city’s perspective, our hearts go out to the guy, but…we really have no choice. It’s flat-out not allowed in the zone and he didn’t get the permits he needed.”

Haskett, the father and primary caretaker of a young son, said his projection room was constructed by a professional projection installer, and that he has met all the fire and safety regulations. His main concern is creating a much-needed space for families and kids to enjoy a movie in their own neighborhood. “That’s my 3-year-old in there – I want it to be safe,” he said. He still shares the space with the AMCCC office, as well as a jujitsu studio and Renewed Hope, a nonprofit housing agency. “Nobody’s going to make a million dollars here,” he said. “This is here for the kids; this is here for the people of Alameda.”

A flurry of e-mail circulating from supporters of the cinema claims that the citation and visits from city officials were politically motivated. But city officials, from Fisher to Benoit to City Councilman Tony Daysog, deny the claims.

“Not true at all,” said Fisher. The original inspection was based on a complaint from a neighbor, officials said, and upon inspection, numerous violations, use permit and city zoning infractions were discovered. “It’s about safety,” according to Fisher.

Daysog concurred. “Nothing can trump safety,” he said.

Benoit pointed to the city code, saying, “We’ve got to keep to the straight and narrow. There is an avenue for the operator to pursue. We’d be fully supportive to working with him to bring him through the process. (But) he would have to shut down until he rectifies the problem.”

Haskett intends to stand his ground. “I’m not afraid of these guys. I’m not going to shut down for six months while they get their heads together.” He said he hopes all parties can work out the issues. “I think (everyone) can be friends,” he said.

A hearing is scheduled for Jan. 25 at 1:30 p.m. at City Hall, City Council Chambers.

article from:
Alameda Sun
see also: Contra Costa Times
And:Oakland Tribune
For information about Central Cinema, go to www.centralcinema.net.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet that they find _NO_ problems at the large chain-owned gazillion-plex because the chain-owned theater is greasing some local politian's palm. Seems like somebody has it "in" for this little guy and what sounds like a nice cozy theater. However there is a fly in the ointment---maybe the couches/lougne chairs are not may with or treated with flame-proofing. Since this theater is a "place of assembly" the zoning regulations and fire codes are more rigorous. Places of assembly generally must have seats "permanently bolted" to the floor, there must be x amount of fire exits, aisles must be a certain width, handicap access, etc. So a whole host of things come into play with a "theater" being operated. From the description in that story it almost sounds like the city is trying to push the old "nitrate film" regulations on this theater and if that's the case then it should also apply to the large chain-owned gigaplexes there as well.

Webster: by the way I used to live in San Mateo at 1108 East 5th back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Even went to the Palm Theater, Manor Theater, and the now gone Fox Burlingame theater.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 02:14 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i hadn't heard about this place. if they ever show something i want to see, and if i can make time to get out there, i'll do so and report back.

carl

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 03:20 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Layton
I'll bet that they find _NO_ problems at the large chain-owned gazillion-plex because the chain-owned theater is greasing some local politian's palm.
I bet you are wrong.

If the local two screen goes up in flames...40 people die.

If my gazillion-plex goes up in flames...1000 people die.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 11:06 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an old expression which goes: "If there are two explanations for something and one is conspiracy and the other is incompetence, the public usually thinks there is a conspiracy when incompetence is usually the truth"

This Central Cinema sure sounds like someone tried to do it without investigating the zoning and safety requirements before hand. That qualifies as incompetence in my book.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-26-2005 07:24 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this not an issue of nitrate-era safety regulations still on the books, that nobody follows?

--jhawk

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
J Hawk -
The issues go way beyond admittedly outdated Nitrate film handling. It seems that many of the items discussed are building safety issues.

Building codes are designed for safety issues -in particular exit safety. For example you must have fixed seats - don't want the partrons tripping over folding chairs, couches etc.(or worse yet -having the exits blocked by these items) if the patrons have to make their way to the exits in darkness. Most codes provide a maximum distance that a patron must travel to reach an exit.

In Pennsylvania (where I am located) the state codes require that there be no more than 7 seats to an aisle (so that your ailes total may not have more than 14 seats) unless the depth between the aisles is more than 36" in which case you can add one additonal seat to the 14 total for each inch of additional space above the 36".

There are issues as to handicapped accessbility as required by the federal ADA law. The ADA applies to any change of use of a public commercial space after its enactment in 1994.

Generally most codes provide that when you change the use (e.g. mortuary to a theatre would be such a change of use)that you must meet current zoning - and this generally includes on-lot off street parking unless a variance is obtained. This is not picking on anyone, but rather common sense - the parking needs for a theatre are much greater than for a mortuary.

Sounds like these people did not do their homework. In my experience it is usually those who are trying to cheap it out - without spending money for professional advice - who end up in in these situations.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-27-2005 11:40 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every year, we are tragically reminded of why safety regulations are important. [Frown] :

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=775&id=203972003

quote:
POLICE and fire officials yesterday began an investigation into how a fight in a Chicago nightclub caused a stampede in which 21 people were crushed to death.

Witnesses claimed a fight between two women led to security guards using a pepper spray or mace to separate them early yesterday morning.

As the fumes caused a panic, the fleeing clubbers found the rear doors of the E2 club were chained shut, forcing an estimated 1,500 people inside to surge down a narrow stairwell as they attempted to flee.

http://www.eyewitnessnewstv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1557243&nav=F2DOFYEH

quote:
Club owners Jeffrey and Michael Derderian, and Great White tour manager Dan Biechele each plead innocent to 200 counts of involuntary manslaughter.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HEI/is_8_48/ai_n6146263

quote:
According to a recent report by the U.S. Fire Administration, there's reason to keep the pressure on. A USFA Topical Fire Research Report published in June reported that although nightclub fires are few in number compared to structure fires overall, maximum or overcapacity crowds make for high casualties.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2005 07:41 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the particulars of this theater, (Central Cinema) but my own experience is that building inspectors are actually easy going IF they feel the owner/GC is honestly trying to meet them half way on issues. The exception is if it's a truly serious violation.

I was once called to a theater to interface a CD player to a automation. On the phone, the owner told me how he wants things done 'right' because he runs a class operation, the people in town 'love' the theater, etc, etc.

The theater was at the end of a shopping center in New Jersey, just across the Tappen Zee bridge. It had been a single C/O house, but was twined by running a wall down the middle. The projection room was about as wide as the theater, so each projector was moved to the left/right, (to the new 'center') and platters put in.

Now the good part: About 20 feet of the booth front wall had been knocked out, from floor to ceiling. You could see the end stud of the wall separating the two auditoriums. A person could just step out on either side, and drop 15 feet down. There was a layer of dust on the jagged edges of the concrete block, so I knew it had been like this for a long time. They had heavy drapes hanging on each side, so customers couldn't actually see into the projection room. People in either auditorium could hear each projector running.

Call me cynical, but when an owner says; "This is here for the kids; this is here for the people of [insert town name]." I get very suspicions.

Pictures of the Central Cinemas would be interesting to have, if possible. The link is bad: it went someplace else (not Central Cimemas.)

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-28-2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The public safety inspectors here can shut you down on the spot and have your patrons vacate immediately if they deem the problem significant. The discussions will happen later. Usually on the next business day. If this guy thinks safety is a casual matter he's dead wrong. The officials should keep him closed until he gets the message. Bucking the system will result in more frequent and more critical inspections. The only threat is his stupidity.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 09:56 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater was at the end of a shopping center in New Jersey, just across the Tappen Zee bridge

Ok, I'm stumped. Aside from the fact that both sides of the Tappan Zee bridge are in New York, I can't figure out what theatre this was. The closest theatre to the west side of the bridge was the The Cinema East in Nyack, now a live playhouse, but I don't think this theatre was ever twinned (I may be wrong).

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our club did an outdoor movie screening on campus yesterday, and even the saftey forms/codes for that are phenomenal. There are a lot of things to consider that nobody ever thinks about. Like even though everyone is outside, if a fire happens, people will run and panic. As a result, anything such as screen towers, speakers, etc. must be sandbagged. Extension cords can't cross the seating area. And yes, even outside on the grass, there are seating capacity limitations. If the event is predicted to attract more than 50 people, the fire department must be called to inspect the area.

Theaters, concert halls, and night clubs are three of the most prominent places where a lot more people are in a single building or room as opposed to places like department stores or restaurants. All you need is a few people moving too slow while a few others move too fast and you've got people getting trampled.

I'm still scared to think about a fire in a stadium theater, where the only exits force everyone to walk to the front, with mobs of people cascading down the stairs trying to push each other out of the way. [Frown]

=TMP=

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2005 11:39 PM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

The link in the post has a "." at the end of it. Remove the "." and the page comes up. Not much to see though. Only one page and links to other sites for movie descriptions, and Yahoo for directions and a map to the place.....

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-29-2005 08:45 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Mitchell; I'm trying to remember other details, but it was 8-10 years ago... The theater was at the right end of a strip mall, on a fairly busy street. I remember getting off the throughway one or two exits after the bridge, but probably drove farther south than I thought. The automations were made by Raven (Omar Freeman). I'm fuzzy on other details, but the managers name may have "Joe" and it might have been a Distina(sp?) theater, and I thought the manager said the owner lived in Connecticut.

Joe: Thanks for the corrected link... but you're right; nothing to see. I thought if we could see the place, we could make up our own minds....

Fred Schoenfeld
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2005 10:34 PM      Profile for Fred Schoenfeld   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Schoenfeld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Below I have posted a note to me from Mark Haskett, owner of Central Cinema in Alameda, CA. The first visit he had was from the fire marshall a few weeks ago... he claimed that the theatre was "a danger to public safety" due to the use of nitrate film (the film: POLAR EXPRESS)! Mark did do all of his homework prior to opening... the land is zoned properly and the city officials have refused to work with him since they have a large developer who wants to build a mega-plex down the street (with some funding from public tax dollars).

As a single screen operator myself, I have experienced problems dealing with public officials who have no knowledge with the current state of technology in our industry.

This is Mark's note:

Jerry Harrah did my installation. I am under 50 seats so I do not qualify as a Class A assembly (which requires stricter safety requirements). I am complient with all egress and lighting requirements beyond Class A regardless of my seating capacity. Yes, I use sofas and such but all is newer stuff with flame retardency in the fabric (even though I don't need it). Everyone should read the 2001 California Unified Building code section-406.1.1 (Scope). Modern technology has surpassed the code, I do not even NEED a projection room!
The City's Redevelopment agency is negotiating an exclusive clause in the contract with a Multi-plex developer. All this smells fishy... Mark

Mark has recenty registered... he should be able to respond soon and I am sure he will keep us all posted on the current state of his ongoing battles with his government officials.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: