Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Average number of seats in a multiplex (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Average number of seats in a multiplex
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2005 04:48 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to figure out how many seats an average multiplex (13 screens) has. Does anyone have that number?

Thanks,

Gary

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-12-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably going to have supply more info to get any answers, especially "how big a town are you talking about?" Multiplexes in big cities might have 600-seat (or larger) auditoriums all the way down to 150 or so (or smaller), while the biggest theatre near me, the Carmike Wynnsong 10 in Billings MT, has houses ranging from 225 down to about 80.

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 09:38 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike....

I guess it is a lot more complicated than I thought.

Is it possible to break multiplex size down into 3 basic markets – major markets, mid-size markets, and small markets?

Bottom line I am trying to figure out a typical seat count for a 13-plex in each of those markets.

Gary

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 10:05 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see... From memory, I've worked at...

A 6-screen with 1550 seats
A 8-screen with 1825 seats
A 8-screen with 2150 seats
A 18-screen with 4800 seats

Dunno what "market" they would be in, but they were all near fairly large cities (West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach and Orlando)

Hope it helps give you an idea. Also if you want, you can walk in to your favorite theater and look around the lobby for a "Maximum Occupancy" sign. If there isn't one for the whole complex, there should at least be one by each auditorium (in most states).

=TMP=

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked at:

an 8-screen in Mankato, MN - 1,408 seats (131-256)
a 10-screein in Fayetteville, GA - 1,614 seats (116-278)
a 14-screen in Riverdale, GA - 2,248 seats (75-285)
an 8-screen in Lithonia, GA - 1,680 seats (101-316)

[ 01-14-2005, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spaeth ]

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 11:48 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new 14-plex that I work at has approx. 2,400 seats in auditoriums ranging from 275 seats to 118 seats. Our market has a population of around 150,000 people.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. It amazes me at the number of screens vs. seats!! A 14-plex with only 2400? Must be pretty roomy (or small) in there! Every plex I have worked at or been to had at least one auditorium with more than 300 seats. 275 just doesn't sound "big" enough for your biggest screen. [Frown]

I should have added that the 6-screen and larger 8-screen I noted had a lot of "booker seats." For example, the largest auditorium seated 420, but only about 375 were "acceptable" seats in my opinion. The smallest auditoriums held 175 but looked like they were designed for 50. You couldn't wiggle thru the aisles without bashing your knees on every darn cupholder in the row. If people are in the seats, forget it. There's no escape. [Smile]

=TMP=

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 05:31 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't find any new theaters being built in Iowa with an auditorium of 300 or more seats. The reason being you have to have an elevator installed in EACH auditorium that has 300 or more seats for ADA reasons. Our general office is very clever with scheduling showtimes so that we never have to turn down a customer because of a sold out house. We always have duplicate pints of the ones that will do good.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-13-2005 06:05 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Volpi
You won't find any new theaters being built in Iowa with an auditorium of 300 or more seats.
Not so!

Jordan Creek Mall 20, West Des Moines IA. Opened July, 2004:
 -

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 07:57 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... I hope no one ever has to go to the restroom during a show in that auditorium.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-13-2005 11:13 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never took the time to count, but I think the newspaper reported the biggest auditoriums at the Century (Adam's photo) to be 500 seats.

There's two of them in the building. I've seen one elevator that I assume is accessable from that exit in the upper right corner. I would also assume that hallway goes to the other big room, which is next door to the right (viewing the picture).

Not only is market size a determination in average seats per auditorium, but each exhibitor's design habits play a role as well. You have some exhibitors that will not build a room fewer than, say, 120-150 seats, but others that will build auditoriums with fewer than 60.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-14-2005 10:22 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SAM!!!! Welcome to Film-Tech, bro!

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, Sam...I see something OMINOUS in your photo!!! NO, not YOU, that marquee behind you completely devoid of any movies being posted!!! Another closed multiplex? Welcome aboard!

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't that auditorium have an excess of surround speakers (if there is such a thing)?? Good coverage I suppose, but are that many necessary to cover that room?? I guess too many is better than too few. [Big Grin] ??

Ron Yost

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2005 12:13 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed in Winnipeg that the average number of seats per auditorium in a multiplex is 250-285, with one being a 10-plex, one being an 8-plex and one being a 14-plex.

Winnipeg's population is about 650,000 people.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: