Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » An employee threatened me tonight.. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: An employee threatened me tonight..
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Let me set this up.

I have 1 concession person and 1 box person tonight. My concession guy gets there areound 5:15pm. He clocks in and starts working. This guy is a constant complainer. His duties are exactly the same as the other girls that work alone on the slow nights. Make popcorn, nachos, hot dogs, corn dogs, sausage dogs, etc. I usually have the nachos and popcorn started by the time the concessionist gets there because I arrive early.

We require a walkthrough at the end of the night for concession to make sure everything suring cleanup gets done. This particular employee has burned me and my boss before by leaving before I do the walkthrough and making myself do his work. So, tonight I show him how to clean the grill and during, he continues complaining about his workload. We have the other girls do this exact work and the get paid roughly .75/hr less than he does.

I showed him how to clean the grill and as I was finishing it up, he checked on the popcorn machine and finished cleaning it. I reminded him to make sure the kernel catcher was wiped out since it usually isn't done until the walkthrough. I added that if he got more finished when it was slow, then he would have less to do at close. He replied that my "continuous reminding was getting annoying and that if I kept it up somebody woud pop me."

So, I worte this down and told my boss about it. My boss said that this guy has a big mouth and that writing it down would cover my ass if he did anything in the future since it was documented.

Is there anything else that I can do to alleviate this? I'm not sure if I did anything wrong, I just wanted to make sure things were done. He also complained when I said that things should get replemnished when the concession was slow, sausage dogs and nachos particulairly. I just wanted to tell you all about this.

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2005 11:24 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did you approach him Richard? I always operate under the addage "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". Is it possible he was reacting to the manner in which you gave him the instructions?

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2005 11:28 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See that's the thing, I don't recall how I exactly approached him. He said that the popper was clean, I then asked, did you wipe the kernel catcher out?

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2005 11:38 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Provide a laminated checklist with opening and closing procedures. The worker should have to check off every task on the list before punching out (hopefully not you). Give 'em the three strikes and your out line. Nothing worse than your State Inspector doing a walkthru and writing you up!

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2005 11:40 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Myself and my boss do have a checklist in the works. Another problem is that he and a few other employees clock out before they are permitted to leave. We use an ancient punchcard system so there are loose timecards that they have access to.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 12:09 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't regard that as a threat so much as a warning. Maybe he does have a point. *IF* your continuous reminding (nagging) *WAS* getting annoying and *IF* you kept it up *SOMEBODY* would pop you. Sounds logical to me. [Wink]

=TMP=

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 12:10 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can always count on you Thomas [Roll Eyes]

I'm thinking that a possibility is that without meaning to, I've been getting too close to the action. Like looking over their shoulder kind of without actually doing it. It it possible that without realizing it, that could have annoyed him.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 01-06-2005 05:52 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless if it annoyed him, its still his job.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 08:41 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If any employee were to threaten any of my assistants (threaten, warn, whatever) ... I would terminate. I have no use for that complete lack of maturity in my theatres.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 09:44 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, you sure don't lead a boring life, heh. You seem to have encountered major conflict at your previous workplace too and I notice a trend. I wouldn't normally give advice, but since you put this out there, I am assuming you are looking for ideas.

Unless you are positive that you just have gotten unlucky again with being saddled with a problem employee, you would do well to examine the way you interact with your peers and see if something is getting lost in the translation.

Maybe you should ask a friend for an honest assessment of how you come across in public.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-06-2005 10:41 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, it could be that you are coming across as a complete Dick.

You know, instead of a Richard.. a Dick...

YEAH!!!! [evil]

Dave

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 12:48 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Fuentes
Regardless if it annoyed him, its still his job.

Damn Skippy it is. if he has a problem doing his job, he needs to find employment elsewhere.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it depends on how you approach him; I would get annoyed as well if someone was constantly "reminding" me of my job. I guess it's different if he doesn't do it. If this guy has the "big mouth" your boss was telling you and they aren't doing anything, it's one of two things.

1. Your boss doesn't care or knows him personally
2. This guy has something on your boss

Seems like you keep getting yourself in pickles...be careful, you don't want anyone to pop you in the mowf

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 02:03 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless though, no matter how a manager's style annoys you, you shouldn't tell them that if they don't stop annoying you, the will get popped. I have had MANY HORRIBLE managers in my time and I would never have dreamt of saying anything about them to their face.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, you are an asst. manager are you not? Tell your manager you feel threatened by it. Other than that, what can you do? Call the police. Call the Florida Dep't of Labor. Shit, Call OSHA if you want. Either get something done for you by that manager or see if the situation pans itself out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: