Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What Really Sells? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What Really Sells?
Kevin Stengel
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Stengel   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Stengel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the common concession items in the stand, what beyond the norm is selling well for some of you? In addition, what are items that should be in the stand that no one putting in.

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the quality of most movies out today, some of this might be needed for your customers to enjoy the movie.

-

Also, animate this and put it on screen before the show.

-

Kevin Stengel
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Kevin Stengel   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Stengel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the studios releases this year bite worse than a sour candy. Especially this christmas season. I mean really, Fat Albert on Christmas Day! I am just trying to see what employees are hearing from the public on products that are out there.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeaahhhhh

BUDdy.

LOL

EDITED CONTENT:

Coffee seems to be a good seller, especially during cold months. Get with the right vendor and the machines are free so long as you buy the product from them.

We have a lot of older folks who won't spend $$$ on regular priced stuff, but they will but our 'Sr. Combo' for $4.00 in a skinny minute. It's a small drink and small corn... same 16oz size cup as our regular small, but a different cup style. They used to be 12oz cups but for whatever reason, the supplier and our concession head went up to 16oz's.

I'm in the works of getting a coffee/pastry stand going. Pre-packaged pastries that will compliment the coffee sales... Might try and combo package with the two....

[ 12-30-2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Jason Black ]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only will that stuff make your movies more interesting, but your per cap will go THROUGH THE ROOF!! [Big Grin]

=TMP=

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-30-2004 06:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez guys, the man asked a question. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway: If you aren't selling "kiddie combo trays," you're missing out.

The kiddie trays are huge profit makers because:

- You can pretty much put whatever price you want on them and people will still buy them for their screaming kids

- And what's even better, since kids today don't want to share anything, the parents will buy one for EACH kid.

We sell these things 4 and 6 at a time during kid shows and they probably have less than 20¢ worth of stuff in them. We get $2.50 for them but I've heard of places selling them up to $4.00.

Also, not exactly unusual but still not offered everywhere: bottled water. Even a cheap kind will sell very well.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, Mike, I was just trying to add a little humor. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

I knew someone would come along with a real answer.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2004 02:21 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're at $4.50 for the kids trays.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2004 02:29 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're at a mere $3.50 for a kids tray, or $3.75 if you want icee with it.

We just started selling all sorts of junk in our stand. We used to just sell the normal things, but now we've added French Fries, Apple Crescent Bites, Motzerella sticks(sp?), Jalapeno Poppers, Popcorn Chicken, Kosher Pickles, and Spicy pickles.

Strange this is that they are all selling well!

Bottled water sells VERY well here, at $3.00 a pop for a 20 oz. aquafina.

What I've always wanted to try, at least for the winter months, is hot chocolate. If you aren't a coffee drinker, then it's pretty much your only choice for a drink to warm up to. I think it could do quite well, but I suppose there is some reason we don't sell it.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2004 03:01 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kid Combo trays are a great seller. $2.50 for the handful of popcorn, 16oz drink, and a 1.5oz gummibears(.25cent cost). We also sell a bunch of Cookie Dough Bites, h2o, and gourmet pretzels (pizza or jalapeno). Coffee never moved at all. 12oz cup $1. I usually end up drinking it, or the guy that runs the local record store. Elderly never buy it during our Senior Citizen Specials. They would rather sneak in their hard candies or chocolates!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2004 11:11 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] $4.50 for a kids tray?!? That's more than a large popcorn in some places. What's good about the kid's trays is exactly what Mike said: They probably have the highest profit margin out of any item in the stand, even though it's a combination of items. It's amazing how much better things sell when they're "Just for Kids." Makes the little ones feel all special.

French Fries sounds cool. I've been to Muvicos that sell the chicken strips or popcorn shrimp and it was pretty good. We got a basket of popcorn shrimp for $5.50 which lasted us the whole movie.

Milk Shakes were another cool (pun intended) idea I saw at one theater which seemed to do well for the time I was standing in line (they sold about 3 in the few minutes I was at the stand). I don't remember how much they were. A good product, but if anyone ever spills one, it's one hell of a mess. Or if someone throws a large chocolate one at the screen... [uhoh]

=TMP=

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-31-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it [hot chocolate] could do quite well, but I suppose there is some reason we don't sell it.
Ever seen what a cup of hot chocolate can do to a screen?

Now you know why you don't sell it.

-Aaron

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 02:34 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very very good point, but what about coffee or soda, wouldn't they be just as bad(or worse)?

Brent Neal Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Brent Neal Jones   Email Brent Neal Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot chocolate and bottle water a must. We sell Deja Blue for a dollar and hot chocolate for $.75. We have Yoo-hoo as well for $.75 but Id have to say the water does the best.

As far as out-of-the norm, Ive had it suggested to me several times to start selling frozen pickle juice on a stick. (Poured in little 2oz. cups and frozen) I've almost been willing to try it for $.25 , but we really need the freezer space right now. Our food is out selling the popcorn! [Big Grin]

As far as an indoor goes, I absolutely would not sell hot chocolate. Hot chocolate means kids, and kids mean screen damage. You can easily do just as well with something else like Yoo-Hoo. Coffee would be great though, as long as its good stuff. [Wink]

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 02:26 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if a kid throws the yoohoo? [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: