Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New Quad-Cities Multiplex

Author Topic: New Quad-Cities Multiplex
Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2004 10:29 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just announced, a new 14-plex is under construction in Moline, IL

Thursday, December 16th, 2004

Shovels turn dirt as work begins on Moline movie theater
By Tory Brecht-QC Times
Amid the rumbling of excavators and dump trucks, ground was broken Thursday on the first multi-screen, first-run movie theater in the Illinois Quad-Cities since January 2002.
Turning half-frozen dirt with the obligatory gold-painted shovels near the intersection of John Deere Road and 38th Street in Moline, city officials, the Illinois Quad-City Chamber of Commerce president, Alliance Entertainment and Russell Construction executives said the theater project was a harbinger of future development.
“This is something long-awaited in the Illinois Quad-Cities,” said Alderman Don Welvaert, at-large, pinch-hitting for an injured Mayor Stan Leach. “We’re hoping with this theater as an anchor, it will bring in more stores, restaurants and businesses to the area.”
Chamber president Rick Baker echoed those sentiments.
“This will give people more reasons to stay on the Illinois side of the river as well as bring in people from outside the area to eat, shop an be entertained.”
The Great Escape Theater — owned by New Albany, Ind.-based Alliance Entertainment — will be the company’s 16th overall and first in Illinois. Jim Marcus, Alliance’s vice president of construction and property management, said the company is thrilled to be in Moline. Alliance targets under-served markets in medium to small metropolitan areas and out of 100 or so potential sites, Moline rose to the top of the list, he said.
“Obviously, Moline had a need for a theater and we’re bringing you one that’s state-of-the art,” he said.
The theater complex will be 49,000 square-feet and will feature 14 screens, stadium-style seating and digital sound, Marcus said. It is expected to employ 70 to 80 people with an annual payroll of $500,000 and contribute more than $100,000 to the sales and property tax bases of Moline, according to Jim Bowman, Moline’s economic development director.
Russell Construction is the contractor and already is moving dirt to try and meet a targeted May 25 grand opening, said project manager Scott Ward.
Dennis Hipple, vice president of Russell, said moviegoers can expect a first-class building.
“I’ve had the opportunity to tour a Great Escape theater and they’re phenomenal,” he said. “It’s like sitting in your living room.”

|  IP: Logged

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2004 08:39 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that the quad cities were terribly underserved for theatres. My brother lived in Davenport for 3 years.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-18-2004 10:27 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, no kidding. There's 300,000 people in Rock Island and Scott Counties, and ONE first-run multiplex serving them since National Amusements closed the old Showcase Milan.

Adam Heath
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2004 10:54 PM      Profile for Adam Heath   Email Adam Heath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have talked to a lot of people in the industry about this area. Everyone knows it has been underserved and "abused" for years. Until Great Escape, no one seemed to have the guts to take on National Amusements. Living on the Illinois side of the qc, I know it will be a great addition. Funny though, before 1990, it was the opposite. Iowa lacked the theater. I've seen two multiplexes work before and it will again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: