Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Employees requesting off for Christmas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Employees requesting off for Christmas
Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone who manages a theater that's open on Christmas Day, how are you handling employees asking off for Christmas?

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can you do if they are going out of town?

If they aren't there, they aren't there. The flip side is that you remember who helped you when you needed it and when hours get cut, they are the last to get cut.

Hire replacements, I do. I have just learned over the weekend that I have a total of 6 employees either leaving or otherwise unavailable for Christmas. Just great... there's no feeling in the world like waiting until the last minute to learn that your staff pulls a fast one on you. I've never had this much of an issue with staffing... [Frown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-06-2004 04:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that has worked well for me over the years is the mandatory holiday shifts. For example "every employee must work a minimum of one primary holiday shift, and one secondary holiday shift (or two primary shifts)".

I define primary shifts as:
Thanksgiving day (open shift)
Christmas eve (closing shift)
Christmas day (opening shift)
New Year's eve (closing shift)
New Year's day (opening shift)

I define secondary shifts as:
Thanksgiving day (closing shift)
Christmas eve (opening shift)
Christmas day (closing shift)
New Year's eve (opening shift)
New Year's day (closing shift)

Obviously your mileage will vary depending on how many people you need on staff per your business as well as how many people are actually ON your staff. Sure there will always be that one employee who throw a temper tantrum over this, but I just remind them that this is part of the job (I actually would do this during the interview/hiring stage) and that it was expected of them or they would no longer be working there. In the end, most people were VERY happy with this solution, because each employee got to cherry pick which holidays they worked...and I've never got caught shorthanded on any particular day either. [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-06-2004 06:55 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Having worked in the TV newsreel biz for many years, those "holidays" are *just another day*...as it should be for a 24/7 job. One might luck out and get it off, but mostly it was always the regular schedule for everyone as a rule. NO "favors".

If ya don't like the conditions...find another line of work.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-06-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people are hired at Cinemark they are told that the theater is open 365 days a year. They are expected to work holidays, just like Brad said, or they wouldn't be working at all.

Just to make it official, some time around the end of October our managers would pass around a holiday sign-up sheet. The number of holiday shifts to cover in each department was divided by the number of people working in that department to come up with a number of holiday shifts each person was expected to work. The way it worked out in the booth I ran, each person had to take two shifts.

There was a cut-off date. Usually a couple days before Thanksgiving. If ALL of the shifts weren't covered, the manager assigned shifts. Once your name was on that sheet, your ass had better be there. As you may know, Cinemark has the "No Show - No Job" policy. If you don't show up for one scheduled shift, management gets to assume that you quit.

Nine times out of ten, there were no problems getting all the shifts covered because everybody knew that all the other people were putting in THEIR share of the work. Furthermore, there were people who perfered to work certain holidays.

We had one guy who would work any holiday except Thangksgiving. He liked to work all the Christmas shifts. There was another guy who liked to work all the Thanksgiving shifts. We even had one guy who would work any holiday, any time except Halloween because he claimed he was Wiccan. (Halloween was a religious holiday and Christmas was just another day to him.)

I think the key to the question is: "Get the saddle on the horse before you let him out of the barn." Lay down the law right from the start. That way, there's no call for whining later on.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2004 07:51 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You try to accommodate as best you can. My people are hired with the understanding that they will have to work some holidays.

I put out a request chart, but make no gurantees.

Then I spread the misery as fairly and equitably as possible. If someone has a problem after that, then I have to think of them as "not being a team player" and treat them accordingly.

Brad, I like your idea of "primary" and "secondary" designations.

Bottom line is that you have to be fair with employees, and also fair with the company.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-06-2004 08:50 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someday I'll open my own theater and we'll be closed on Christmas day.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2004 10:29 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah....mgmt at our place does this too. They won't hire you unless you can work weekends and holidays....but then they keep changing their "rules" saying that you have to work 2 holidays (kinda like brad's system) and whatnot....but people go smart and took off ALL days but those. I've yet to see a theatre that actually plans this out a month in advance, it would work SO MUCH better....instead of waiting two days before Christmas to see if you can go see your family....

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always did a signup sheet that worked quite well. Thanksgiving wasn't usually a problem because it's a lot of evening business and employees weren't hard to find. Christmas was also very slow, not many people come to the movies on these holidays at our theatre. It's usually the days around the actual holiday that are nuts. I'm not sure if it's corporate or district policy, but our theatre (a Carmike) always got permission to cancel the last shows of Christmas Eve and the first shows of Christmas Day. This allowed for some extra time off for employees. Also, all employees were warned of holidays at the time of hiring.

Jeff Akin
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2004 11:46 PM      Profile for Jeff Akin   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Akin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I write my holiday schedules at least 2 weeks ahead of time. Takes some stress off of me, and lets the staff know what's going to be going on for them as well.

As far as requests go, they are requests, and that is all. When I interview candidates, I ask, "Are you available for weekends and holidays? Those are our busiest times of the year."

If I need them, I schedule them. If they don't show, we suck it up, and write them up, and move to terminate them. It's no secret that Thanksgiving and Christmas fuel this business. Expecting to have the day off would be like McNabb asking for Superbowl Sunday off when his team is playing in it.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do two things to help with this. For one it's asked on your application if you can work weekends and holidays, if you say no then there are plenty others who will take the job. The second thing is that we hand out holiday sign-up sheets with paychecks in early october. They order from 1-6 the importance of each holiday. We include halloween, thanksgiving, christmas eve/day, new years eve/day. Pretty much every employee gets their number one choice, and most of the time they get their number 2 also. If it's lower than that you are probably working.

We do cancel our last shows of christmas eve too, but christmas is always incredibly busy so we have to show every showing.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2004 03:52 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ask on our applications...

We remind during interviews

During "paperwork session" you sign an agreement to work during the holidays.

Than we go to system similar to what David mentioned, with a memo where you order holiday (shift) periods by importance 1-8. If you dont turn it in by a certain date (November 15) they assume you are available to work all shifts. We also have a request off log book, if you request off more than 3 days between a certain period (I think Dec. 24-Jan. 1) than your employement is terminated. People who are terminated in this fashion are always elgible for rehire after the holiday season is over.

As for show cancelings, ive never heard of us canceling any shows so people can go home early or come in late, but Christmas is usually scheduled as a very short day, open at 11am-noon close by 10pm.

Paul Rosenberry
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Paul Rosenberry   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Rosenberry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's worked well for me is to let them know *before* Thanksgiving that A) we're open on holidays and B) holiday requests-off will be thrown out. Then I explain that they can let me know which holidays they *want* to work... the nastier the holiday (i.e. Xmas matinee as opposed to the evening of Jan 1), the more likely they'll get the remaining ones off... and they're encouraged to include the ones they'd really like off. Some people feel very strongly about one or two holidays... no problem if they offer to work the rest. They all end up working their fair share, regardless of the requests... and people that don't make any requests don't end up working more (or worse) holiday shifts. The important part is making sure they understand it because it's probably something they've never heard of before... also that you start the process before Thanksgiving because that counts as a holiday shift worked. You might end up with a couple of people that take the entire xmas/new-years week off because their family goes away, but they for-sure get scheduled for Thanksgiving.

It seems to make the staff happier too because they know nobody gets screwed. They don't feel like they have to make a big struggle out of it.

For the management/projectionists/supervisors, we do the same thing and I lay out the holiday schedules before Thanksgiving. No surprises.

I imagine this wouldn't work well if you run a small theater and only have 10 people on staff, just because some years you'll get everybody wanting the same holidays. Most theaters have enough staff that there's going to be *someone* who would rather have off New Year's Eve than Christmas, for example, and that's what makes it work.

If I get someone who just didn't listen and asks for all the holidays off, I just hand it back to him and explain he didn't give me anything to work with. He *is* working some holidays and he can help me pick which ones if he likes... or not.

Alan Dallas
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Alan Dallas   Email Alan Dallas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Yauch
We do cancel our last shows of christmas eve too, but christmas is always incredibly busy so we have to show every showing.
Pretty much the same for just about all Harkins in AZ David. Even us at the Prescott Valley 14.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2004 08:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least up here you can't compel someone to work on a day that is violation of there religious beliefs and since you can't discriminate employment hiring on grounds of religion if someone wants a specific holiday off they usually get it

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: