Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 2004 Holiday Releases

Author Topic: 2004 Holiday Releases
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2004 08:06 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Looks like we are up against it this year. There are three release dates the week before Christmas (12/22, 12/24. and 12/25).

There are going to be builds and breakdowns all over the place, not to mention print moves on three different nights. I can understand Wednesday and Friday releases, but what were the folks at Disney and Paramount smokin' when they decided to release Life Acquatic and Fat Albert on the 25th?? To what purpose? You could reply that they would not do well on Christmas Eve, but if that were the general thinking, then everyone would release on Wednesday to get a head start on the holiday season.

Once again, too many releases in a short period of time, and, as usual, somebody will get hurt with the grosses.

Just one more example of the fact that the distribs don't understand the logistics of exhibition, nor do they care.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-04-2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about every year, there are films released on Christmas Day, no matter what day of the week it is.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2004 07:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless, I think we all understand John's point. This year (2004), Christmas falls on a Saturday. There is no excuss whatsoever for films to debut on Saturday - period. Christmas day releases are pathetic as well. When Kate & Leopold opened in 2001, our carrier did not arrive at our theatre until 9:30 PM on Christmas Eve. While I do believe this was, indeed, a Wednesday opener, I still curse Miramax every year at Christmas for their abject hatred for the projectionist on what most consider the most sacred holiday of the year.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-04-2004 08:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever. If you're looking for time off during weekends and holidays, you're in the wrong business.

But don't fear ... the imminent conversion to digital projection will lighten your workload soon. [Razz]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2004 09:45 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is being released on 12/24? Everything I've seen (mainstream, at least) is on either the 22nd or the 25th. Plus, the prints generally arrive on the 23rd anyways. Very rarely do I see a Christmas Eve delivery ...

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2004 10:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody said anything about time off on the weekends or holidays. I only suggested that in the future studios should re-examine their Christmas release policy (particularly the Weinstein brothers) as business does not always warrent such actions.

Don't patronize me for shurking my duties or not being available when the rest of America isn't. We've all sacrificed our time and family lives with dignity and silence in order to be productive members of society.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-04-2004 11:41 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas day releases would be better if they sent the prints EARLIER than normal... say like three days ahead of time. Studios need to have some common courtesy for the theaters and their staff, but unfortunately they don't.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-05-2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
but what were the folks at Disney and Paramount smokin'
Paramount wasn't smoking anything....However Fox was since they are releasing Fat Albert. I'm used to the Christmas day thing. It's pretty much the norm now. Just think next year it falls on a Sunday.

Stephanie M. Brosche
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2004 01:05 AM      Profile for Stephanie M. Brosche   Email Stephanie M. Brosche   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam Martin says:
quote: Adam Martin
Whatever. If you're looking for time off during weekends and holidays, you're in the wrong business.

Amen. And just think, many of us aren't even making much more than minimum wage. Of course, some of you will get time and a half, but other's of us will get screwed there too.

If you can't handle working long hours on holidays, and missing all the family events, and getting yelled at by all those morons and their families that come to the movies on Christmas day even though you can't be with your family, then quite your bitching and find a new field of employment. It isn't going to change any time soon. Nobody likes it, but that's just how it is. [Mad]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike: Scheduled for release on 12/24 is Meet the Fockers and An Unfinished Life.

Darryl: I stand corrected. Fox has the Fat Albert release, not Paramount.

Stephanie: No, I don't bitch, because I don't miss family events, but my staff does. I think that all anyone is asking is for a little consideration. If studios weren't so paranoid about the piracy thing, at least they could get the prints out a day early so that it would make it easier on the exhibitors.

Saying "that's just how it is" seems to be a signal that you are resigned to mistreatment. Some of us have a different opinion, and we are most certainly entitled to express it, whether it makes a difference or not.

So, no, I don't intend to " quit my bitching and find a new field of employment". And it will not change anytime soon until the folks at NATO get a little backbone and say "enough."

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2004 06:53 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Meet The Fockers dated on 12/22.

An Unfinished Life is dated for TBA 2005 per Miramax.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2004 07:41 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike-

I just reviewed the new release chart and Fockers is now listed for 12/22.

The Darkness is now listed as 12/25 as well, so it looks like everyone has now fallen into the Wednesday-Saturday (Christmas) catagory.

You have to wonder what additional changes we will have to deal with before Christmas.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-05-2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like THe Aviator is going limited on the 17th and wide on the 25th.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2004 10:54 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Aviator is opening NY/LA/SF on the 17th, nationwide on the 25th (just changed Thursday)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: