Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Manager Titles (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Manager Titles
Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 09:56 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, are there any managers who work in a theatre where the floor staff has to refer to you as Mr. or Ms. Last Name instead of being on a first name basis? We have this at my theatre and it's kind of awkward when someone who's twice my age has to call me Mr. Willis.

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 10:05 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is all personal preference from what I've experienced.. I have always been Jason to my staff. I'm no better than they are.. All I require is that I am treated with the same respect that I give to my staff.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-01-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark requires this as company policy.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the old GMs at my theatre started the Mr. and Ms. thing a few years ago for the entire management staff. The GMs since then have kept it up. In casual conversation I don't care what my employees call me, I even encourage them to call me by my first name. It's Mr. Willis in front of customers or over the walkie talkie, though. It's not chain-wide (Regal) policy, in fact we're the only theatre in the Richmond area, that I know of, that does it.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 11:16 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be a cold day in hell when they call me Mr. Espinosa at work...

We're all on a first name basis and that's how it's been at every place I've worked including Wallace Theaters, Borders Books & Music, and Best Buy.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Mr. or Ms. here. But again, because of our size, it has to be. When you have over 130 floorstaff and they are constantly changing, it's much easier this way. It's not like a theatre with just a handful of staff where everyone knows everyone and you can get away with being casual about it. With this many people, it helps to keep a formal relationship between floorstaff and managers.

Stephanie M. Brosche
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 01:00 AM      Profile for Stephanie M. Brosche   Email Stephanie M. Brosche   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Informal here too. We go so far as to say Yes/No Sir/Ma'am when answering questions, especially over the walkie, but otherwise, it's first names and appropriate nicknames for us.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 01:14 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 99.9% sure that Rave theatres do that. A good friend of mine is the head manager at the Peoria theater and whenever I go talk to him I have to the cashier for him by Mr.hislastname.

Miss Parsons just sounds too much like a librarian so I dont think I could take that.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 02:48 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much everyone is on a first name basis on the floor, from staff to GM/MD. I dont know how it goes with Regional and Corporate Officers.

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone at my theatre is first name basis too...although my GM made an issue last year when one of the staff called my by last name only over the walkie. I understand his concern, but I didnt think it was that big a deal. See (long story short here), my best friend used to be a manager there with me, and we're both named Chris...so for as long as we've both worked there, people just called us by last names. This was never a big deal until the walkie thing. After that, for about a week, my GM insisted on the Mr/Miss title thing. It was kinda ridiculous. Like Brandon said, it is really strange being 19 and having people twice your age calling you Mr. Brown. So I think first name basis is fine...long as the respect is there.

[ 12-10-2004, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Chris Brown ]

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I require Mr./Mrs. over the radios and on the floor for appearance sake only. Everywhere else is informal. The reaction from the customers when I started that was VERY positive even though I hate being called Mr. Duvall. However, this has been more beneficial for my younger assistant managers and they have gotten more respect from the customers.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr., Mrs., or Ms. is a title of respect just as Chief, Reverend or "Your Honor". I work in a facility where the GM allows everyone to call everyone by their first names. I believe it somewhat deminishes respect and authority (especially when a 17 year old calls a 72 year old "Bob") and would prefer to call and be called by title rather than by first name. It has been my observation that we have a generation of parents who have failed to instill common courtesy in their children. What ever happened to the "magic words" in our society. My staff seems genuinely surprized and pleased when I thank them for doing well at their job.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 02:14 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked hearing "projection" over the walkie... it made me sound mysterious.

I still react to it when I hear it on a radio at the theatres I am servicing.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on the respect thing, although things are changing. The only person I address with a Mr. or Mrs. is a lady who works usher. She is in her late 60s, and is the nicest lady....Mrs. D

Other than that...I give the same respect shown to me, first name basis everywhere at work.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 03:55 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're all on a first name basis here, floor staff call projection over the walkie but we only instituted this recently because my bosses name is Ross and Rob and Ross sound too similar over the walkie to distinguish.

I do agree with the respect arguement but do feel that is it to be earnt not automatically givien, just because they refer to me as Rob instead of Mr. Jeromson dosen't mean that they have any less reverence of my skills or the guidance I can offer.

I respect all of my staff equally and have consideration for them as individauls I only ask this in return.

[ 12-02-2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Robert John Jeromson ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: