Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Nightly or Weekly inventory? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nightly or Weekly inventory?
Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 09:54 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whose theatre does which?

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 09:59 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weekly. If inventory problems were to start occuring again (we've had them in the past) I would switch to nightly but at the moment its not necessary.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 10:02 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno what you all think, but the only SAFE way to control inventory is to track and count nightly... I've done this for years now... even doing so nightly, I could not pinpoint a theif who wound up walking away with a LOT of money... [Frown]

Keep one thing in mind when it comes to people and cash... the only person you can TRULY trust is yourself...

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-01-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Nightly inventory is the only way to go in this day and age. [Frown] I've even worked in places where we needed such strict controls that inventory was done at shift change.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At shift change? How did you manage that and get the cash-outs done and not have to be there until all hours, especially on a Saturday?

We do nightly inventory not so much to detect theft, but to detect stupid mistakes that the cashiers make, even after we've trained them and in some cases written them up about it.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 10:18 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nightly! Weekly inventories are like rolling the dice at the craps table ... wonder how it'll come up this week.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 11:20 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep my inventory overage/shortage under .5% doing it weekly. At the moment I have 0 problems. If it were to get out of control again I would immediatly switch to nightly.

Of course I only have one full time assistant at the moment and I'm running a 12 plex, so time constraints might just have something to do with my opinion on inventory.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 11:23 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do it nightly, but we sort of have to with the amount of employees we have. If something turns up missing, we can watch cameras and get someone in trouble and we're only watching a day of footage. Inventory usually stays within .15% which is pretty good considering its a 25-plex with a few different managers working inventory shifts.

Stephanie M. Brosche
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Stephanie M. Brosche   Email Stephanie M. Brosche   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're a small 10 plex and we never have inventory problems, but we are forced to do inventory nightly. The odd thing is, our chain has just under 20 theatres, and only 2 or 3 of the locations have to do nightly inventory. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's why I'm not making the 'big bucks'. Doing inventory nightly has help us catch the one or two theives we've had pretty quickly though, so I guess there's something to be said for it. Just think it should uniform throughout the company is all. [Confused]

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 03:41 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we do ours weekly.

I dont actually participate, but im usually closing with the Inventory Team and they generally get their stuff reconciled pretty fast, which indicates that the numbers are reasonable.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 07:43 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always did weekly until taking a 9plex and now I would never go back. It is so much faster and easier to catch problems and you can pinpoint at least the day a problem occurred which can help narrow down employees possible.

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2004 11:44 AM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I really dont think it's warranted, we do an inventory twice a day, once at midshift, once at the end of the night. The midshift one is not a full buliding inventory, however. We just inventory the stock behind one of the concession stands. Still a pain though, especially if you have shows up until 5:30 or later, and everyone is out at 6.

Like I said, I really dont think it's necessary. I mean even if midshift is way off, its the end of the night that matters. I've had midshift inventories that were hundreds of bucks off, only to have the nightly turn out almost perfect.

If it were me running the place, I'd go with nightly. Not my call though.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 12-14-2004 10:42 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At all the theatres I ever worked at, we did inventory nightly. I can't fathom how a weekly inventory could ever be accurate when sometimes employee mistakes from one night add up to so much money. The total of operator errors over a week would cause such a wild swing you'd never know where the problems were.

I have spoken with a few managers at other companies who said that even when their home office required them to take a weekly inventory, they still maintained counts on a nightly basis to be able to pinpoint the problems and explain shortages.

Dan Costello
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 02:12 PM      Profile for Dan Costello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have always done nightly inventory with cash at the local 8-plex, but in the recent months we have also started doing a daily inventory on candy, water, juice, etc. This common anywhere else?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't count cups and bags?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: