Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » building keys (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: building keys
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-30-2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiousity, how common is it for projectionists to have keys to the theatre building? Does everyone have keys, are they only given to a full-time head operator, or are they only provided to managers? What about other non-manager/non-projectionist employees? Do you change the keys on a regular basis, or only after employees quit/get fired?

I've seen this done several different ways in different places and am interested in knowing if there is any sort of consensus as to what works best.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-30-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only the managers have one at my theater. I do most of the projection work so I'm head projectionist too. None of us have quit or been fired, so we havent had to change locks yet.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 01:06 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
only mgrs at my theater are given keys, of course after a background and credit check. my friend who works at a smaller art house got keys on the first day of the job, no questions or checks...

Tony Hall
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 01:18 PM      Profile for Tony Hall   Email Tony Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my Theatre all projectionist have front door and booth keys Managers are the only ones with keys to the office. If the time comes to change keys we only need to change the front door keys. [Cool]

Nicholas Roznovsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Nicholas Roznovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Nicholas Roznovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, head projectionists/booth managers should be able to access the building and the booth. If nothing else, it prevents a manager from having to be present for early-morning maintenance just to open the door.

I would not however advise giving keys to other projectionists/non-managers. It's always been my goal to keep as few keys in circulation as possible. Other than the aforementioned early-morning maintenance (and janitorial crews), there shouldn't be any one in the building without a supervisor present.

We have never changed out locks just for fun, only when employee changes necessitated it. Also, I would advise changing out locks and safe combinations everytime you have a management change. Even if you trust the person who is leaving implicitly, changing locks and combos can help eliminate them as suspects if something unfortunate happens later on.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-30-2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was working the theatre chains as a regular projectionist, you got a front door key and a booth key. But if you were a relief projectionist, management had to open the booth for you and stay till you were finish at the end of the night.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manager/operator - only the management has keys.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a supervisor/projectionist at Loews we only got keys that were for concession/back stock room use and those were turned in each shift. The projection booth had combination door locks which were changed every now and then with no clear reason necessitating it. In my current position as manager/projectionist at a small twin I of course have all the keys to the building. When I first came on our concessionists had a front door key as well but that was left over from the old owner and we asked for them back. We did that mostly for the reason Nicholas stated, if something goes missing (which has) then they cannot be blamed. Especially since the owners had to give one of the concessionists the safe combination at one point because nobody was there to open up. Fewer keys in circulation the fewer people to suspect if something comes up.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 03:54 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're the same as Mike S., manager/operator (though not both at once). If we did have a dedicated projection staff I would give the 'head projectionist' a building key. If they janitors can be trusted then the head projectionist could be.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2004 04:17 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Owner, Assistant Mgr, Manager, and Concession Company have Door key. Only the Owner and Manager have keys to Roof. Assistant Mgr., Manager, and Owner have key to stockroom, and office area. We change out the locks every now and then, but it gets kinda expensive.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-30-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides those people having front door keys. The film transport company had front door keys too.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-01-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone ever think of installing a card swipe access system? One time installation, never have to change the locks.

Ciao baby

Dave

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 12:57 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we are a bit different here, being a 25 screen megaplex. Every manager and projectionist in the building has keys, because on any given day if the floor manager got stuck in traffic then no one gets in the building until someone can drive out, since you only have a manager and 2 projectionists on most mornings. Of course all of the keys are numbered individually and signed out, and all managers and projectionists must pass a full backround check before being hired/promoted. And when an employee quits without giving back the keys(which of course are engraved w/do not copy) they are prosecuted for the return of stolen items. This is just how we run things, and I can't see them working any other way. Not to mention the key to the door is also the key to the booth, so we'd be stuck out of the booth without them. I think the building has been rekeyed 4 times in 7 years though, but thats mainly been from managers carelessly losing their keys, which are usually found after the fact.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 04:29 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole "do not copy" etched into the key is a joke. I have never had a problem getting those keys copied.

What's the point?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2004 04:31 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The local Wal-Mart won't copy DNC keys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: