Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Dealing with slow customers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dealing with slow customers
James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2004 11:37 PM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for first posts.

Lately I've been getting really frustrated with customers who stand at the concession stand, right in front of the register, putting straws in all their drinks, getting napkins, and taking their sorry time after they have already been given their change and our economic goals have been accomplished. Now, I'm not complaining about seniors, I give them a break, however I hate having to look at the customer behind those who are perfectly mobile and give them a look like, "Well, sorry, it's not my fault this guy won't move." Any suggestions?

I normally work in the booth, but occasionally have to work downstairs, and this is something that has always got on my nerves.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-08-2004 12:17 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put the straws, napkins, & ect. AWAY from the front of the concesion stand. Build a little condiment shelf or table near where the loby and theatre hallway connect.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite pet peve is when you have a huge line and they want you to layer the butter on the popcorn AND make them put salt in the middle of it while they sit there for 20 seconds and shake the bag to make sure all their precious pieces of popcorn are coverd evenly with butter and salt. THEN they ask for a small DIET COKE. oh nothing like extra butter and a DIET FREGGIN DRINK to balance each other out... years of aggression to that has finally come out, i apollogize. [Smile]

James Faber
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 12:25 AM      Profile for James Faber   Author's Homepage   Email James Faber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

That would most definately solve the problem, but I can forsee every customer we have asking where the straws and napkins are, since we already have a bar off to the side with salt and creamers(I work at a cinemacafe). I usually have to say, "It's over the on that bar underneath the red sign," about 800 times.

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 01:26 AM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
My favorite pet peve is when you have a huge line and they want you to layer the butter on the popcorn AND make them put salt in the middle of it while they sit there for 20 seconds and shake the bag to make sure all their precious pieces of popcorn are coverd evenly with butter and salt. THEN they ask for a small DIET COKE. oh nothing like extra butter and a DIET FREGGIN DRINK to balance each other out
Wow Allison...like you were reading my mind! This one always pisses me off too, especially on busy nights like you said. The popcorn shaking bugs me to no end...especially when afterwords they ask you to "top it off" with more popcorn. But we do have a consistent bunch of customers who always ask for the large layered corn with extra butter, then the small diet. Kills me, absolutely kills me. Course you try to upsell them to a medium drink, but THAT would be crazy. Ahhh you're right, I feel better now too. [Smile]

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 02:10 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We make our backbar person do all of the layering around here, so they are the ones who get pissed when customers keep asking. What I always hated as backbar was when the register person would ask everyone if they wanted their butter layered, and they would say yes every time. I can't tell you the number of times I had to chew someone out for that same reason. We'll give it if they ask, but for pete's sake don't go offering it to everyone.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 08:26 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now when I go to the concession stand, I get layering. I usually get a medium popcorn (Can't eat a large...I've tried) Half full, then butter, then filled up, then butter on top. Then I get myself the largest sized Root Beer there because it usually has free refills (AMC YOU NEED TO START DOING THIS!!!!!) and I go and find the salt and such myself. I don't get napkins because they are necessary. Customers only take then because they are there. Then I haul my big ass into my seat and watch my film.

As far as people getting a small soda wih a large popcorn. Don't worry, you end up making more money because you'll end up selling them another soda before they are halfway done with their corn. You get thirsty eating that stuff!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-08-2004 09:10 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our customers like their popcorn layered, too. So do I.

Too often, concession workers try to compensate by saturating the top with buttergoo, which makes the top part just about as unappealing as the dry stuff from the middle down.

The best part of being in business is finding that your customers like things the way you do. We've always layered everything larger than our smallest size. It's automatic... we don't waste time, waiting for the customer to ask for it that way.

As for straws, napkins & etc around the cash register... that's just a problem by it's design. Everybody needs the stuff, and they're not likely to think about picking up what they need while you're off getting their puchases. We also keep that stuff in a separate area, far enough away that it doesn't interfere with the customer line.

Don't get frustrated with your customers. They're not likely to change much, unless you change your prices. Find a way to work around the challenges & have fun at what you do....

... or do something else [Big Grin]

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 09:16 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...we put a stop to the whole "Can I layer for you?" It played hell on our yields. My suggestion would be to look beyond the customer who is finsihing up and say "Can I start the next order" that way you can start on the next order and you don't embarrass the person getting there stuff. Some people take their time so they don't make a huge mess. People that rush usually spill popcorn, tear huge amounts of napkins out, and break straw dispensers because they hit them so hard. Just be patient, if you stress all you will do is hurt your job performance

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 09:42 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About twice a week I like to work in the candy bar , just to keep in touch with the patrons. It never ceases to amaze me how vague members of the public can be and how annoying some requests become [Mad] .
Always when busy they will ask " I will have a drink a popcorn and a bag of lollies"

great !! , we have 3 sizes of popcorn , 3 sizes of drinks with 5 flavours and about 20 different types of lolly bags , the poor frustrated candy bar person has to ask , how big, what flavour and what type , this then sends the patron into a tail spin! , they really don't know how to decided when faced with this life treatening question!!!.

I think we under estimate the value of our concession staff , they really do deserve a big pat on the back from time to time with the frustrating people they deal with while under pressure with impatient cues . [thumbsup]

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 10:26 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Texas we have a similar problem, only different..

Customer walks up: "I'll take a large coke "
Staff member completes the transaction and hands the customer the coke
Customer: "ohh and can you make that coke a Mr. Pibb"

In texas every soft drink, it seems, is a coke. So we ar forced to ask every time "What flavor"

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 11:19 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, ok. I will admit that I too do like my popcorn layered, if and when i get butter. And I do agree that the 3-5 squirts of butter on the top of the popcorn is just a bit gross and soggy. 90% of the time when I would deal with a layered popcorn person, it did only take a few extra seconds, but it always seems like when a rush of people would hit, thats when the layering/salt shaking/tasting-to-see-if-it's-just-right would began.

actually...another pet peve.. people dont look at the menu board untill it's there turn to order. They have 3 min. to look at it when they're in line but they only do so when it's time to order, which then can take 10 hours to decide what they want..

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 12:03 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate concessions, I hate serving food. Most if not every supervisor and assistant manager loves when I work at the concession stand (oddly enough).

/tangent

Anywho, my simple yet easy methodology is to, prior to making that "eye contact" with the guest behind them, announce "I can help the next Guest in line". This is your "subtle" hint to hurry up or slide on over to make room at the counter. If they dont catch on to that nuance, (baring spacing restriction on counter space) I will physically move myself over a foot to inbetween registers and take the next order from there. Usually by the time you have taken, verified and punched up a total for the next order the previous Guests have departed and you have space to complete your transaction.

If you happen to by chance run into that 3 in 10 persons who cant possibly be bothered to even begin to contimplate their concession order in the 3-10 minutes they've been waiting in line, I find that most will comply if you ask them if you can help the next guest while they make their decision.

quote:
Then I get myself the largest sized Root Beer there because it usually has free refills (AMC YOU NEED TO START DOING THIS!!!!!)
Honestly, I would LOVE a million times over to give people refills. In fact, if you never leave my sight, and somehow manage to eat or drink a significant amount of your popcorn or soda I will offer to "top you off". However I can not stress enough that THE LARGE CUP YOU JUST PULLED OUT OF THE TRASH CAN IS NOT SANITARY and a significant enough number of people chose to repeat this behavior to the point were it became a significant enough financial liability to warrent no longer giving refills. Not only from the aspect of lost concession sales, but wacked out settlements on food poisoning allegations.

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's worse is the really cheap bastards that will pull the old nasty bag and cup out of their purse from their previous visits.. [puke] butter and all...the bag is about to fall apart and the bottom of the cup is so detriorated from the sugar that it would usurely give way when filled with soda...HOW CHEAP CAN YOU BE!!

Chris Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 01:05 PM      Profile for Chris Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
great !! , we have 3 sizes of popcorn , 3 sizes of drinks with 5 flavours and about 20 different types of lolly bags , the poor frustrated candy bar person has to ask , how big, what flavour and what type , this then sends the patron into a tail spin! , they really don't know how to decided when faced with this life treatening question!!!.
I encounter this one all the time. I dont understand how people can, A) not even look at the menu board to see we have 3 sizes of popcorn/drink, or B) assume that we can read minds. And if you're busy, you obviously are trying to get through as many people as possible, so you usually throw back the necessary questions pretty fast. And it does overwhelm them, but its their own fault usually. Saying "I want a popcorn and a soda" doesnt tell me jack. Just from them saying that, I automatically have 5 questions to ask them, which wastes time. I find myself almost saying an extra thank you to the ones who come up knowing exactly what they want...makes my life a lot easier.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: