Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Seniors and Kids (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Seniors and Kids
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 01:48 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are in our second week of "Shall we Dance" and the audience is about 70% seniors. I'm finding that seniors and kids have something in common, they leave a big mess. Soda spilled on the floor, leaving soda cups still full upside down in the seat next to them so it runs down the seat onto the floor, partly chewed candy on the floor. There has been more goo on the floor this past week than I've ever seen. Is this common or do we just have sloppy seniors here. [puke]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-30-2004 02:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of our seniors never buy any concessions.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 11:35 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Our seniors rarely purchase anything more than popcorn and water with the occasional fountain drink.
The kids on the other hand are well known for throwing, barfing, dropping, leaving stuff all over the place, etc.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2004 04:18 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Most of our elderly patrons breeze right on by our stand(s). They rarely buy but when they do, there's nothing wasted. It's like they scraped together their last available funds to come to the show. Actually, you have to appreciate the fact that they, at least, realize the value of a buck. Kids, OTOH, haven't a clue!

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-30-2004 04:33 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when the Notebook was out which was a "senior" attraction and the cleaning for that showing was always a breeze. They either don't buy anything or they are considerate and clean after themselves. I like to believe the second part of that.

As for kids, when that Yu gi yo movie whatever its called... I couldn't care less but they literally trashed the theatre. The wrappers of the collectible cards were everywhere. And I will shiver at the sight of "Kids Packs"(Kid meals) in every seat. Not to mention those "things" that the kids sit on to help them see the screen. It was in one of our smallest auditoriums and it took as long as cleaning a 400 seated auditorium(on a busy day).

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-30-2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back at the theater the only time seniors would buy concessions is when we had our senior discount friday matinees. They would buy a fair amount of concessions (all small items) but always brought them out and threw them away.

The kids on the otherhand... yeah, no fun to clean up after them.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 10-30-2004 11:36 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT'S YU-GI-OH JENNIFER! GET IT RIGHT!!!

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 12:03 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never come across sloppy seniors like you mention Ed, and I run a senior theatre... or so it seems. I start my senior price at 65, and the 65 and older crowd makes up 40% of my business. If you drop to, and include 50 and older... they make up 60% of my audience. If you go down to 40 and older, that's 70% of my patrons. Families with kids make up 20%, ages 30 to 40 is 7% and the final 3% are 13 through 30.

Like the others have already said, the seniors seldom buy anything. That's why my per capita averages only $1.42. They are very clean for the most part. Often after a show with 100 to 150 of them there is not more them one or two items to pick up, and nothing spilled to sweep up. However, they do bring in their little individualy wrapped hard candies and leave those wrappers on the floor. Not too many though, thank goodness.

From my experience, I'd say that your situation is quite unusal... you indeed must have sloppy seniors.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 01:15 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only sloppyness i notice is when the concessionists fill their popcorn too much and they make a habit of spilling a few kernels in the lobby. The theatres are usually pretty clean, however.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 04:08 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our seniors pretty much only buy popcorn...and they apparently all need to have their bifocals checked. They seem to have a hard time with hand mouth coordination. That and they rarely if ever actually finish their popcorn, which is annoying enough as is.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out it's mostly when we have seniors that are really up in age. The seniors here do buy some concession, usually a small popcorn or small soda. Bottled water is a big with seniors. We always pop fresh popcorn before each show so the lobby smell really temps patrons. Perhaps if we had little trash bins at each seat [Big Grin]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 11:41 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. A little pocket on the seat in front of you that has a bright yellow sticker "Put your shit in here or else..."

Realistically though...What is the logic if buying a large popcorn and not eating it?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 11:53 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic,

SO they can complain about the prices!
I often wonder why we heer compolaints over pricing yet find som many drinks and bags still 1/2 full of product.

I think a major part of it is the pyschological addiction for all things BIG in modern society. Or at least it modern Amercian society. Look at the way people buy cars (SUV's), homes, etc...

BIGGER is BETTER, or so they claim. A bigger paycheck would definitely be better! [thumbsup]

A bigger ego would not... [Big Grin]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 10-31-2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, those goddamned seniors...... Wait, I'm a senior too!

I know what I like and I don't like paying inflated prices for super-sized products. I don't eat popcorn at all that hasn't been popped in the last 15 minutes. I don't need a semi-tanker load of soda. I'd also much rather have a specialized candy, like Lindt or Tobler, and other than my theatre and a few specialized venues like Landmark has, such products are hard to find. Ah yes, and a good cappuccino too.....

I'm also often going to a film after dinner, not in place of dinner like many kids do. Guess what, I'm not hungry for food, I'm hungry for a good film and a good time.

What about marketing patron cleanup better? Do you have a cleanup trailer and signage asking for help with this? Do you have many, visible and easily accessable trash containers or just a few hidden away where they can't be seen or found? What about a smaller popcorn and soda container size that you can only buy if you show a senior ticket? What about rewarding a kid or a senior with a coupon for a free popcorn or drink when one is spied carrying trash out of a theatre?

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2004 02:45 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim may be a senior but I'm far more picky than he is. Ever since I had been working at the theater for about 9 months I stopped being able to eat any popcorn that wasn't fresh. By fresh I mean I wait until a batch pops and catch it from the popper before it hits the other popcorn. I only fill my bag 2/3rds of the way, then i salt it, shake it up so it's nice and even, and eat it with jalapenos(don't ask). I would be a shitty customer. Yes, yes I would.

As for clean-up trailers we don't use them, but we don't really expect patrons to clean up after themselves after paying 5.00 to 8.50 for a ticket. It's nice when they do, and usually they will fill a garbage can or two with trash after the big shows, but that's what we pay ushers for...

And as for seniors tending to not upsell, I've noticed they aren't even the biggest group that refuse. I used to think so, until I started opening at the theater and started noticing the group of middle-aged men who all want a medium size of everything and will get mad when you try to upsell or suggestive sell. My guess is that this is the unemployed group with no one to take on a date, but do we really need to feel the aftereffects of your failures in life? Perhaps less time at the moviews and a little more time in school/job hunting would do a little good. Or even pick up an application at guest services and we'll put you to work. At least the majority of seniors are nice about it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: