Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Dealing with kiddies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dealing with kiddies
David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 03:48 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last friday was quite an interesting day for us, as PG-13 horror releases usually are. We had theatre upon theatre full of pre-teens who just happened to feel the need to be as obnoxious as possible. In one theatre we had several complaints before the show even started it had gotten so bad. Several kids were removed from that show, which shut the rest of them up for the most part. This friday we'll have more of the same, with a large amount trying to sneak into "Saw" as well. I'll be downstairs on the floor again working with this, so I was wondering what kind of methods others have used to subdue the kiddies aside from warnings followed by removal with no refund which tend to be messy and loud(although sometimes the cheers from the crowd completely offset the inconvenience).

|  IP: Logged

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 07:02 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It got really bad at my old theater...we had fights and I have had a couple of punks take swings at me. I would suggest getting off-duty police secuirty for your high traffic nights. This can cost you some money on the front end ($25 an hr here)..but your older patrons will tend to go somewhere else and take their money with them if things are not under control and if they do not feel safe. I've had patrons go both ways on the armed police...some love the security some are worried that we need it.

If forking over that kind of cash is not an option I would post one or two people outside the door of SAW(preferably at least one manager)to check tickets and another inside to "seat" and too watch for kids opening exit doors.

I did theater annouments in problem shows...Just started by welcoming them to the show and telling them that we appreciate their patronage. Then just let them know that to ensure that everyone enjoys the show, your theater has a zero tolerance polciy in regards to theater disturbances and while it is not your wish to remove anyone from the show, if they are distrurbing other customers they will be asked to leave.

Saying something like that cut my problems in half and got a great reaction from the patrons. Also, one thing that would always piss me off when I would go to another theater...a kid is making a lot of noise...someone complains...enter the manager..instead of asking the kid to step outside the manager/employee will carryon an even louder conversation with the kid before taking them outside. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK THEM TO STEP OUTSIDE..IF THEY REFUSE THEN WALK AWAY AND CALL THE POLICE...It does seem that adults are worse about wanting to not step outside, but if you stand firm and simply inform them that if they do not wish to step outside then you will have to call the police and have them removed..they will usually get the picture.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 10-27-2004 07:09 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mag-lite to the back of the head usually works with loud kids. But seriously, off-duty police for security seems to work well. Like Chris said, dont stand there and argue with them and disrupt the movie. Let security handle it. As far as us, we give them 3 warnings. The first 2 is the usher or manager asking them to quiet down, and the 3rd is asking them to leave. If they refuse, its in the officers hands from that point on.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 08:50 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 warnings! If I were a patron I would be very upset watching the guilty party get two warnings before getting the boot.

I like to warn problem shows ahead of the show & on the first offense they are gone. It's good to set an example early so the rest of them know their place.

As for the security, I just ask the police department to make a courtesy patrols through all the auditoriums when they are in the area. They come in on their own schedule and just walk around the place. They are more than willing to walk through the shows, they get to see some parts of movies and of course they get free bag of popcorn

[Big Grin]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 09:02 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have off duty police every weekend, Friday and Sat nights when it's busy we have two during the night. As for kids...I give them a warning, leave the theatre and come right back in...if they are being loud or another customer comes out....bye, get a refund.

Our cops make GOOD money though, and the free popcorn and drinks lures other cops to come in and waste my tax dollars too. Some nights, we've had 6 cops just talking for an hour.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2004 11:43 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Refund?!

If they disrupt the show, they deserve nothing but the door. If you make a scene at a sports game & get removed, you don't get a refund. If you make a scene at a symphony & get removed, you get nothing; why should the little snot get rewarded with their money back if they ruin a show for others?

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2004 01:29 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice from all.

Fortunately our general manager read through our log books and listened to our concerns about last friday. We have 3 managers(including myself) and 2 security guards(one indoor, one outdoor) to keep kids out of saw and to keep them from causing problems in other shows for this friday. Our goal is to keep the hallways clear and the shows quiet.

About having off-duty police officers I am not sure why we don't. I know we had a police officer come in and ask if we needed some help with security on weekends but nothing came of it, i would've jumped on the opportunity personally. We do have police officers patrol the parking lot frequently and when we do have problems they are more than happy to fill out our documentation as well as their own.

I think I'll try announcements before shows, should cut down on incidents where the patrons insist they didn't receive a warning. I could always make an announcement and give one more warning before booting them w/out a refund. Not sure what I'll do yet.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-28-2004 02:24 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Yauch
I think I'll try announcements before shows
Don't stand near the screen, unless you want to clean.

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2004 06:23 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.. If they get booted they get no refund. We also give them about twenty minutes to get off the property because we have had issues with vandalism and car breakins. Do any of you have no loitering ordinances? Have a few friendly citations helped with keeping the crowds of kids from hanging out after the show?The family restaurant that shares a lot with us wanted to get one but Corporate said no dice.

Kevin Markwick
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2004 07:48 AM      Profile for Kevin Markwick   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Markwick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chris Medley : I've had patrons go both ways on the armed police...some love the security some are worried that we need it.
Armed? In a cinema? That is one of the most shocking things I've ever heard. Is this normal?

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2004 12:14 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck I'm sure in some cinemas, riot gear is probably in order. [Eek!]

One warning and they are gone. NO refunds.
Just remember, you can't make money off of roudy kids, they tear up more than they spend, and they run off the good paying customers in short order. If you don't control them, you'll not be in business very long.

I've been known to clear out whole rows at a time, and send them packing.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2004 01:24 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kevin Markwick
Armed? In a cinema? That is one of the most shocking things I've ever heard. Is this normal?
Yes... Anyone talking during the movie is shot on site, with much applause from the audience. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2004 03:02 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric..your making assumptions...we don't shoot them on site, that would get blood all over the seats..not to mention other customers. We stop the movie, bring them down to the front of the theater and shoot them execution style..In the words of Ron White "That'll shut um up" [Big Grin]

When I said armed I meant they carried a side-arm...not a 12 gauge riot gun, but there have been times when I thought they would need it. We couldn't get wannabes with a club and mace...the punks would walk all over them

[ 10-29-2004, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Chris Medley ]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-28-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
I've been known to clear out whole rows at a time, and send them packing.
My favourite pastime which is usually followed by
quote: Eric Hooper
much applause from the audience.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 12:40 PM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a supervisor over here that has taken a fondness to kicking out little kids over the years. The other day he kicked out the lower section of an auditorium which was probably around 100 seats. As the kids got up and left the laughter in the auditorium was far louder than the movie.

Fortunately we scheduled him tonight too, a nightmare for twelve year olds theatre-wide...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: