Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Payroll percentage of gross sales

Author Topic: Payroll percentage of gross sales
Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 07:23 PM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first post. I was happy to learn of this forum for sharing information.

I am working on a payroll target % of gross sales for a 10 screen, first-run cinema. What I am working with so far is trying to hit an 11% of total gross sales for payroll, including all salaried personnel, but not counting any incentive bonuses. Does the 11% number sound low, high, or just about right?
Any feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 08:04 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

I think that you will find 11% a number that you can work with. Our total p/r % was at 13%, however, mine also included my contracted janitorial service.

I now operate closer to 9% with an attendance nearly 40% less than that of last year. (Competition)

Payroll is a definite budget killer. Don't fall into the false sense that more employees equals better service. WRONG. I can take three GOOD employees and outwork 6 warm bodies any day. Reward those who make money for you. They will appreciate it and you'll find that their dedication rewards you in so many more ways than I can explain here.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-25-2004 08:10 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want to hear a sick and twisted number??

Try 30 %!!!

Century operates thier labor at up to that level.

They own thier own buildings so they don't have rent, the extra money goes to labor if necessary.

However, I usually could get all labor including incentive bonuses to under 12 percent on a routine basis. It takes creative show timing, and hard work on the entire staffs part, but it is doable and well, unless you own the building with no mortgage, kind of optionless.

Ciao

Dave

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-25-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not sick and twisted, that's comfortable!

Sick and twisted is running a theatre at under 2% and catching hell if there were problems to deal with and you went over even slightly.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hover around 10-12%. You should really pay close attention to dollars paid out as well. During very slow times you may get to 18% but still cut $1000-$1500 off the total payroll.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: