Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Carmike's Newest Complex Manager (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Carmike's Newest Complex Manager
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2004 01:06 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, my boss has been promoted and so I have been given the theatre to manage. Its a big step for me, I've been here for seven years though and feel I know the place and the company fairly well.

I was going to put this in yak, but I'm not just posting this as an announcement but also as a solicitation for advice/words of wisdom. Any thoughts are appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-18-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [thumbsup] [beer] Maybe condolences too... [Big Grin]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2004 12:03 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin,

I extend to you both Congrats and Condolences.

You know why.

My advice? Watch who you trust and always CYA.

Good luck... you're a level headed individual who seems quite knowledgable and well rounded. I'm sure you'll do well in your newfound posistion!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-18-2004 12:13 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [thumbsup]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 12:14 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 01:46 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats [thumbsup]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 02:29 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, I know what you mean. I'll have to shoot you off an email sometime soon.

Everyone else, thank you for the kind words.

A question though, I'm going to be hiring a full time assitant soon. Due to lack of qualified personel I can't hire from within. Any advice on picking a suitable candidate/training methods?

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 03:13 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I just joined up, congrats anyways!

As for the hiring I really can't say much, since I haven't been in that situation. I will say that I would check every reference you can find. We had a horrible employee leave our theater only to be hired by another theater in the same chain. They called after the fact to find out what kind of worker he was. Big mistake. He screwed up and was fired a few weeks later.

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2004 09:30 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the wonderful world of theatre management! As for an assistant you may want to look at the people you know and trust and see if there is someone you know thats looking for a change. Ive always been fortunate enough to get people from within because I think there is no better way to learn any business than from the ground up. You also get a lot of respect from the staff when they know youve done the same things as their doing. And continuing to work along side them when needed is a good idea. Leading by example works really well. Treating you staff with respect and kindness will go a long way. Good luck and remember that has hard as you try, not everything will go smooth, and how you handle the rough spots is the true test.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-19-2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] Congrats!!!! [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-19-2004 10:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
A question though, I'm going to be hiring a full time assitant soon. Due to lack of qualified personel I can't hire from within. Any advice on picking a suitable candidate/training methods?
Yup, hire Rachel! She will chew bubble gum and kick ass.

BTW, congratulations! (Don't forget to divide your actual hours worked by your salaried paycheck. It's an eye opener!)

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 01:57 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if Rachel didn't live a good 4-5 hours away I'd probably consider hiring her. Want to relocate Rachel? [Smile]

Anyhow, my current plan for training in the new assistant will be to rotate them through concessions, box, usher, and projectionist, probably a week at each (or however long it takes). I would of course prefer to hire from within, no only for reasons of employee moral but because I wouldn't need to do a lot of the training I will have to do when hiring from outside. Unfortunately there is no floor staff member currently I would consider qualified for the second assistant position I have open.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 11:14 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin,

My advice? Look closely at your staff. You best bet could very well be in front of your eyes and you just don't know it.

I always try and hire within. Nine times outta ten going outside, for management anyway, doesn't seem to work. You have so many variables in this business and it's difficult to find well rounded, capable individuals willing to go the extra mile for the low pay.

My bottom line..... I don't want someone to work with me just becuase it's a job. I want them to work with me because they love what they do...

Hard to find that in folks these days... [Frown]

Anyway, good luck and shoot me that email...

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 05:43 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me when I say I know that some of the best managerial candidates can come from within. I of all people should know this, since I started shoveling popcorn at the very theatre I am now running 7 years ago.

As it breaks down my 3 part time assistants aren't interested in the posistion for vairous reasons. I have 24 floor staff currently, 11 of which are over 18. Of those 11 only a couple have shown any interest in the position. One is a complete slacker/pot head who never does anything without being told and the other I strongly suspect of theft.

So yeah, unfortunately I have to hire from outside.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 09:38 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin,

I'd edit those comments if I were you.. God forbid someone read it that you know...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: