Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Training Guides?

Author Topic: Training Guides?
Tim Lockridge
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Tim Lockridge   Email Tim Lockridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to train a large number of new concession, door, and box-office workers next week at a new theater. I'm currently compiling a training guide and checklist, but does anyone else have something of that nature they'd be willing to share? I'm looking for some additional perspectives and priorities. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2004 09:01 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing I can no stress enough to you and to all your cash handlers is having inventories of every candy drawer every shift to detect theft, and bank facing to stop shortages. Also, since you are opening a new theater you more than likely have a good amount of experience, but the most important thing I could say for you would be your presence on the floor. I have worked with too many managers that are office dwellers..this does you and your staff no good. Also, with the new theater there will be a learning curve, so be sure to give praise as well as criticism to ensure a well trained, highly motivated staff.

By the way, I will see if I can pull up my training standard and email it too you. Good Luck

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2004 03:16 PM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the staff have been trained, i have seen the management team make a checklist, and the new staff have to make a good grade on that (i.e. did they clean all theaters, did they sweep under seats, did they stay at the door at all times, etc.) or they get suspended hours. On a good note, if they perform well they get better shifts, or get to be trained as concessionists and box (who get better benefits usually).

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-15-2004 04:03 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I always thought was intimidating was during the training days the managers who helped train would say that people from corporate would drop by and ask the staff the exact procedures of this or that. Or that we had to know the training book by heart. Like some kind of pop quiz whenever they visit the theatre. Which is a lie because that has never happened to me or anyone that I have worked with.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-15-2004 04:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jen... I didn't read your post cuz AGAIN your ID pic caught my eye!

Please email me a full size/full resolution pic of your ID pic.

I really don't know what's come over me, but I want to paste it on my ceiling over my bed.

Your pic just makes me feel "happy!" [beer]

>>> Phil

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-15-2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww [Big Grin] That's sweet Phil. I'm glad I make someone to feel happy. Is 1600x1200 pixels ok?

Hmmm, I think I need to send in a really ugly ID pic. Get people to read my posts instead of my pic. Or I should shave my head that sounds better.

Back on topic... I suggest posting up important sections of the training guide in the breakroom. Nice and huge so the staff will never forget.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-15-2004 10:14 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Phil is trying hypnopaedia (sleep learning). I commend you on your choice of subject matter but give it up already; you're beyond reformation! [Big Grin]

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2004 01:09 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once you get your training manual put together, it's a very good idea to have some kind of form that they sign off on after reading the manual, so that they are on record saying that they understand the policies and procedures of their job, and the consequences of breaking policy. Include this form in their personnel file indefinitely. That way, if any employee tries to pull the "nobody ever told me that" crap, you can pull out the form and explain to them how they signed off saying that they understand what it says in the training manual. Yep, I have a real hard on for documentation.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-22-2006 08:41 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 791 days since the last post.

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 08:41 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyonhe could email me what type of guides they use for training and etc. I am going to try to implement a training program and would rather not recreate the material if it's available.

Thank you much for your help,
Cody

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: