Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Adult, Child, Senior Ticket Prices (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Adult, Child, Senior Ticket Prices
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 09:20 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the longest time, the owner of this single screen theater had one admission price for everyone. I suggested having child and senior prices but he didn't want to lower any prices. This causes a lot of frowns on parents when showing something geared towards kids.
This weekend I decided to start charging 12 and under & seniors $1 less than the adult price. This is the second week of "Shark Tale" so I'm comparing last week to this week and guess what's happening, concession sales are way up. So far the owner is happy and patrons don't frown buying tickets now.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 12:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seniors and Children are only $5 all day, except the $4 early bird of course. I think it'd anger MANY people if we didn't have that price bracket. I mean, can you imagine paying $7 or more per child for Shrek 2? Hollywood would love it...the folks would hate it.

AJG

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in San Francisco, at AMC and Loews, the child price IS in fact $7.00. It's an expensive day to take the kids to the movies...

IMO, It's no wonder most families just wait 3 months for the DVD to be released....

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Admission Prices (Cash Only, No Credit Cards)
General Admission is $9.00.
Seniors (age 60 and over) and children (12 and under) are $6.00
Bargain matinees daily, all seats $6.00 for the first show of the day.
Tuesday is bargain day, all shows, all seats $6.00
Buy a Rialto Cinemas Passport card and receive 5 admissions for just $35.00, a savings of over 22% off the general admission price. Up to two admissions per card per movie. That's $7.00 per ticket!. (Checks are accepted for Passport sales.)
We now sell Rialto Gift Cards. They make a great gift for the film lover in your family.
(Checks are accepted for Gift Card sales.)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2004 08:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: double post, sorry.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2004 08:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are on the "Economy plan." [Smile]

12 and Over: $5.75
Age 6 - 11: $4.00
Age 3 - 5 and Seniors 65 and over: $3.00
Monday Discount Night: 12 and over: $4.50

5-admission cards: 12 and over: $25.95
Age 6 - 11: $18.95

We've experimented with matinees about 4 times over the years and they always just have the effect of drawing off the evening show crowd.

We're looking at a 50¢ across-the-board price increase after the first of the year.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 10:01 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adult matinee - $6.25
Adult evening - $8.25
Child (all shows) - $5.75
Senior (all shows) - $5.75

These prices are for the 2 Regal megaplexes in the Richmond area, the Virginia Center 20 and Short Pump 14.

[ 10-18-2004, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Brandon Willis ]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-11-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typical prices for the 'Vegas MSA:

Adult $9.00
Matinee (before 6:00pm) $6.00
Students $7.00
Seniors (55 and over) and Children (under 12): $5.50

Age definitions vary by chain, as do the prices, but these are typical. Not all chains offer a student discount. Brenden Palms IMAX is $9.75. Tropicana Cinemas (the only subrun house in town) is $4.00 all seats all day (including popcorn and a drink if you have a coupon).

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 11:51 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward, you didn't mention what the price of admission at your theatre is. If you are a first run that charges $6.00 or more for adults, then I agree that a lower price is in order for kids and seniors.

However, if you are subrun, or a first run that charges $4.00 or less, I see no reason for a reduced price for anyone. I am subrub, but not discount. I am in a small town that plays after a larger city near me. I play pictures on an intermediate run and presently charge adults at all evening shows $3.00, kids and seniors $2.00. Matinees are all seats $2.00. It is my intent to go to All Seats $3.00 in the evenings as of Dec. 24th this year. The matinee price will remain All Seats $2.00.

I was at one time Americas longest running dollar house, as I charged All Seats $1.00 at all times from Jan. 1971 until Aug. 1996, over twenty five years without changing my price. When I gave up the dollar policy, the first runs were charging adults $6.00 and kids and seniors $4.75.

It was not unusual when I was playing a family film, particularly a Disney film, for parents to ask why we had no kids price. How cheap can people be? They were saving over 83% for themslves and 79% for the kids, and they STILL wanted more! My answer was to tell them: "Yes, we do have a kids price, but we don't have an adult price... everyone gets in for kids price".

I can understand different prices for first run, but it makes no sense for subrun or discount run. Especially for senior citizens, as they don't buy anything at the refreshment stand, yet sneak in their individually wrapped candies, and then let the papers on the floor. Almost all of them buy their $2.00 ticket with a $20.00 bill after getting out of their big fancy cars. I really think they should pay more, not less, but I have to be realistic, as I know that would never work.

I can't wait to go to the All seats $3.00. It will make things so much easier, and faster.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adult Evening (after 6pm) - $7.50
Student/Military - $6.00
Adult Matinee (before 4pm) - $5.50
Child (2-11)/Senior (60+) - $5.00
Twilight (all seats 4p-6p) - $4.50

Sam Johnson II
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Sam Johnson II   Email Sam Johnson II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[For first-run 8-plex]

Evening: $6.00 adult, $5.00 child/senior

Matinee: $4.00 adult, $3.00 child/senior

2-year-olds and under free.

At the older theater it used to be Friday-Sunday: $3 adult, $1 child/senior...Monday-Thursday: $1 all seats. But since we opened about 5 months ago, they had to raise their prices to match ours. Personally, I liked the idea of having a Friday-Sunday price and a Monday-Thursday price, but you'll never have people stop complaining about matinees not being cheaper on Friday-Sunday (and that price system was in place for over a year).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-12-2004 01:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Senator Theatre in Baltimore has a one price fits all policy (and is 1st run). When asked about discounted tickets for kids and Seniors....their classic response is..."Of couse not, we do not discriminate based on age!"

Steve

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-12-2004 02:36 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar situation here. We get "how come the kids don't get a discount?" on Monday nights. My response is, "the kids ALWAYS get a discount."

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2004 10:33 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard C. Wolfe
Edward, you didn't mention what the price of admission at your theatre is
Matinee adult price is $6.00, evening adult price is $7.00. Usually first run but a few old ones now and then like "Annie Get Your Gun".

quote: Richard C. Wolfe
Especially for senior citizens, as they don't buy anything at the refreshment stand, yet sneak in their individually wrapped candies, and then let the papers on the floor. Almost all of them buy their $2.00 ticket with a $20.00 bill after getting out of their big fancy cars
Same here, always big bills and usually no concession.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2004 10:59 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Of couse not, we do not discriminate based on age!"
I LOVE IT!! LOL

IMO, All screaming babies and brats under six should have a $20 surcharge.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: