Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » UK Cinemas

Author Topic: UK Cinemas
Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 05:51 AM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
witch cinemas are the best to enjoy a good movie in the UK?

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 06:16 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours! [Big Grin] NMPFT Cinemas

Probably closely followed by Darren's Picturehouse

Kevin Markwick
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2004 07:34 AM      Profile for Kevin Markwick   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Markwick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine, of course!

The Picture House Uckfield

Nothing to do with afformentioned Picture Houses. In fact it's a real pain having one close by. Confuses the hell out of people.
But as we have been the Picture House since 1916, I'm not changing!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-11-2004 03:31 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're visiting London, the Odeon Leicester Square is a must, if only because it's about the only (I'm not sure if it's the only) 1930s 2,000 seat super cinema never to have been partitioned up into smaller theatres. Although the screen is quite small (the auditorium was built for Academy ratio, and the conversion to widescreen was accomplished by sacrificing height) and the acoustics not brilliant by today's standards, the experience of seeing a film in such a large physical space and in the company of so many other people is still special. The National Film Theatre on the south bank of the Thames should also be on the list. Although all its auditoria are, frankly, pretty unremarkable, its standard of technical presentation - especially for older and obsolete formats - is still world class. If you want to see a silent film shown at the right speed, with a flicker-free three blade shutter, perfect changeovers and a live pianist, that's the place to go.

Outside the capital there is a big range of places that are worth a look - but if you're visiting us from Puerto Rico I guess you may well have a limited itinerary. If you can let us know which towns and cities you'll be visiting, I'm sure that suggestions will be forthcoming.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2004 04:32 AM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leo, I will be in UK for a whole year. Im studying a master in photography in Rochester, Kent. I would like to know the most interesting cinemas because Im a cinema lover not only for the movies but most of all its arquitecture and tecnical specifications (sound, picture quality, etc). So if you can, tell me what cinemas I should visit. Thanks

is the Odeon Leicester Square that huge?

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2004 06:07 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcial.
The Odeon Leicester Square seats about 1900 people, and as Leo says, it is a special experience seeing a film with so many others, especially if it is a comedy film. All these people laughing at the same time. A wonderful atmosphere.
If you are lucky, you might even get an organ recital on the five manual Compton before the start of the film.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-12-2004 07:02 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcial, I hope you enjoy your stay in the UK.

While you are in Leicester Square, you should also visit the other large cinema, the Empire. It's a good example of a more modern cinema, dating from 1960 I think, the old theatre was divided, with some sort of night club/dance place downstairs, and a new cinema upstairs. It's one of the last works by the famous cinema architect, George Coles.

Most of our best cinemas have been either demolished, or altered drastically for other uses.

It would be worth your while to try to get a visit to some of those that still exist in other uses;

The Gaumont State, Kilburn, in North West London was the largest purpose built cinema in Britain, with 4004 seats. It's long been a Bingo Hall, but still retains its organ.

Also a bingo hall, the Granada, Tooting, in South London is one of the most ornate interiors still existing, it is by Theodore Komisarjevsky.

There were four Astoria cinemas in London in the so-called 'atmospheric' style. Streatham still exists as an Odeon cinema, but has been altered beyond all recognition. Old Kent Road was demolished after many years of dereliction. The other two still exist. The Brixton one, is now a rock music venue, the 'Academy', while the Finsbury park one is now used by a religious organisation.

The Picture House chain, mentiond earlier have several interesting buildings; The Harbour Lights in Southampton was purpose built as a cinema a few years ago; the design is by Burrell Foley Fischer, who have designed several of the better modern cinemas. The York Picture House, in the North of England, has been constructed in an old riverside building which was previously used by a newspaper. I don't know the architects of this one.

Sorry I can't recommend more that are still in use, but there really aren't many left. It's a pity you weren't coming over in the 1960s, there were a lot more of them then.

We have a number of early, c1910 cinemas still in use. Have a look at the "Movies featuring theatres" thread in the Film Handlers Forum. On page 10 there is a post from me about four of these. Sorry, I can't find a way to make a link to that page.

You might consider joining the Cinema Theatre Association, which publishes several newsletters and a magazine each year, organises visits, both here and abroad, and has an extensive archive of photographs etc.

They have a web site here

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: