Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Can you run a Coke pre-show and serve Pepsi?

Author Topic: Can you run a Coke pre-show and serve Pepsi?
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me the rule on this, or even if there is a rule:

If I'm serving Pepsi only in the lobby, how does Pepsi feel about the theater running Coke ads during the pre-show? And vise versa?

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2004 08:11 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would probably be bad. Like if a Carmike were running promotions to go see the T20we20nt20y at your local Regal.

=TMP=

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, um....

so you would advertise for Coke when you sell Pepsi....something tells me that wouldn't look good their chief

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-24-2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let your advertising people know that you are a Pepsi theatre and running ads for Coke supplied by them, and you should soon start getting Pepsi ad materials (slides, trailers) in place of the old Coke items.

-Aaron

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-24-2004 08:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean just because your chain chooses Pepsi to sell, it has to agree not to advertise a competing drink onscreen? That doesn't seem right.

We are a Pepsi theatre and we sell cans of Coke out of a fridge for people who want Coke. Pepsi knows about this and doesn't care. As long as we don't put Coke in the Pepsi dispenser.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-24-2004 09:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't (always, some contracts require you to) have to restrict advertising to the bottler that you sell, but if you make the same money from ads from either bottler, it doesn't make sense not to advertise the one you actually sell.

As for selling one bottlers product exclusively... you can (provided you buy enough) get a better contract with a bottler (product cost) if you agree to exclusively sell and/or advertise their product. Given high enough volumes a price reduction of nearly 50% isn't unheard of for huge volumes, although not as common as 15-20% reductions.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about the cusotmers point of view? I had many people come out of the theatre thirsty for some Pepsi Twist when we were running those slides. Unfortunantly we didn't sell Pepsi Twist, and they would be both confused and dissapointed.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2004 11:01 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 20wenty has ads for Coca Cola C2 on it and we don't even sell it. It pisses people off. Running Coke ads and selling Pepsi, though, is just plain silly.
Any Regal people out there recall the old Regalator cups from back in the Pepsi days? After the switch to Coke we continued to refill the cups covered with Pepsi logos and continued to stock the straws with Pepsi logos on the wrappers. This caused no end of complaints from die hard Pepsi drinkers who expected Pepsi and got Coke instead. We tried exchanging the cups for a large drink with a one time refill but enough people complained that they created a new Regalator cup with a Coke logo on it and a lifetime refill that we use now. That still draws complaints, though, because the new cup is flimsier than the old one. It holds the same amount, though. There's just no satisfying some people.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-16-2004 02:14 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching the pre-show slides at a couple of different theatres and they all sell Pepsi in the lobby. But their slides advertise Coke frequently. I think it does effect each company to a certain extent. But its like free market advertising. The theatre is getting paid to advertise both, money will always be coming in. As for policies, slides/trailers should be the one switched out. But then again from the slides I've seen they come from one company like some kind of monopoly.

If a customer became thirsty from watching a Coke ad and went to the lobby for Coke. Most likely they will give into the fact that the theatre only sells Pepsi and will purchase it anyway. Just like how people say they want Dr. Pepper but the theatre only has Mr. Pibb or Pibb Extra. Sometimes the concessionists just serves the guest without mentioning that they only have Pibb Extra. The guest would just assume its Dr. Pepper... And no, I don't want to get into "they totally taste different".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: