Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Typical multiplex schedule

Author Topic: Typical multiplex schedule
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 04:15 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long is a typical multiplex employee schedule on a typical weekday, and on a Weekend? Does it run about 12 hours?

|  IP: Logged

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 04:38 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
everyday:
manager arrives at 10:30 am, leaves around 12:45 am
floor staff arrives at 11:00 am, (shift change at 6) leaves around 11:00 pm

So yeah, typical floor schedule spans 12 hours and the managers is around 14.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2004 11:07 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday-Thursday:
Floor managers arrive at 11:30, Booth manager at 12:30
Shift Change at 6:00
All managers leave around 1:00
Box office, concession, and doorman arrive at 12:30, shift change at 6:00, employee staff usually gone by 11:30
Usher is one shift, 3:00-11:00
Friday-Sunday:
Floor managers arrive at 9:30, Booth manager at 10:30
Shift Change at 6:00
All managers leave around 2:00 (Fri./Sat.) or 1:00 (Sun.)
Employee staff arrives at 10:30, shift change at 6:00, employees gone by 12:45 (Fri./Sat.), or 11:30 (Sun.)
Also on Fri.-Sun. We will have Some mid-shift employees who work 3:00-11:00 or 12:00-10:00 or something similar.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First Show
Fri-Sun 11:30am
Mon-Thu 2:00pm

Last Show
Fri-Sat 12:45am
Sun-Thu 10:30pm

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Day shift runs from 12-6pm.
Night shift runs from 5:15-11:00ish, 11:30ish at the latest on Fri/Sat.

Doubles run from from, of course, 12:00-11:30ish

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our independent company banned doubles about a year ago and limited a few key managers to 40 hours a week respectively. This was done by the district manager in a move to cut payroll expenses, while claiming it was for the benefit of workers and customers alike. The worker no longer "needs" to worry about being called out on a double, and the customer "gets" better service by fresh-faced people. It was a load of BS from the start, but most on staff a apathetic to this one way or the other.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2004 05:29 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless they reduced the number of staff allowed per shift how is banning doubles reducing payroll expenses? If they work at the same rate paying one person for 10 hours is the same as two for 5 each (assuming no overtime).

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2004 07:05 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but you indirectly answered your own question. Not everyone was making the same wage rate. Moreover, any worker on the clock for more than eight hours is now required to take a half-hour unpaid break. Even though doubles are outlawed, this does sometimes come up in rare cases (mostly during the summer months).

I will admit that I don't think its saving a whole hell of a lot, but one dollar in their pocket looks better than in ours. There is no real need to argue this deeply, its just the policy they have chosen to initiate.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-11-2004 07:26 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to tell them you're working doubles. A pay schedule for them and a work schedule for you works well in many situations.

You don't think all of the companies I've setup one week on, one week off knew about it.

Most of the time it's easy to do anyway, since few companies even want to know who was working when (save for a manager schedule faxed to them that you may or may not follow anyway). Usually they just want the number of hours per day, and each person's hours per pay period.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish. Our company is micro-managed by the district officers in the smallest detail. Any paperwork concerning expenditures, including workers' schedules, are faxed weekly and cross-checked with timecard information.

I liked it years ago when this place was the wild west. Hell, you could come in, bribe a high school kid to go home, and finish his shift. I made more money back then as oppossed to the new scheduling techniques now.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-11-2004 08:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to tell them you're punching each others' cards either. [Big Grin]

Punch cards/clocks are the biggest false sense of fraud protection ever. In my experience, and I believe there are a few studies (at least some articles), payroll fraud is greater in places that use punch clocks than those who rely on supervisors/managers to actually pay attention to who's there.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2004 08:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point about time clocks. What I'm saying, however, is that for the majority of years that I've worked for this company I was responsible for policing myself . This was like the inmates running the asylum. Now I didn't have a problem with that so long as I was on the receiving end [Big Grin] .

Until 2002, we signed in for work simply by initialing a piece of paper with our names, time in, and time out. No time clock was used. Previous district managers (including children of the majority ownership partner) could care less about payroll. To them it was about promotions, coffee clatches, and "cool ideas". It is my opinion that more fraud occurred before the addition of the time clock. I'll plead my Fifth Amendment rights under the United States Constitution as to if I was actually a perpetrator of fraud or not [Wink] .

I think that in the end any business that does not have defined shifts or employs a fair share of part-time, minimum wage workers (regardless of age or ability), is bound to get ripped off on payroll. Most vulnerable are probably those places - like theatres - that niether offer benefits that matter. Free movies might be great, but stress tests and rectal exams are more important to me now than 14 years ago [uhoh] .

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 01:06 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the world of a sixplex in the boonies:

Manager shows up 1pm, or 9 AM on weekends. However the weekdays are what are interesting. There is one manager, one concessionist, and one projectionist at all times, and only this. the manager stays for 10 hours and gets OT, while the concessionist and projectionist work 1-9. Last show starts at 8:15. Average attendance floats somewhere just under 100. Its like high noon at the OK corral.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 10:18 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We usualy have one consentionist and one manager(which also serves at the projectionist) during the day and also during the night during the week. During the weekend we usually have four or five staff and one or two managers working during the evening hours.

All week:
Managers start at 10:00am the only exception to this is when we have our spring or fall free kid shows then everyone must be there at 9:00

During the fall:
First show starts at 1:00 so staff must be there around noon. Change over at 6:00pm last show gets out around midnight or so Sun-Thurs, last show gets out around 2am Fri-Sat

During the summer:
First show starts around 11:00 staff gets there at 10:00am, change over at 6

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: