Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How many assistants do you have? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How many assistants do you have?
R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2004 11:40 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm wondering, comparative to screen count, how many assistant managers is average? I have 9 screens and currently have 2 assistants. I have been told that I should have more as my sister theatre which is also 9 screens has 6 assistants. I don't really see the point. It seems to me that only a couple of them have any real power or decision making ability. The others just know how to close down. The new 20 screen that recently opened in my area stated that he had 24 assistants, which seems ridiculous. I suppose he's weeding out the bad though.

Do any of you have shift managers or anything of that nature? Thank you for your input.

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2004 12:26 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 3 full time assistants (40-45 hrs/wk), one relief mngr (15-20 hours week) and two shift leaders (30hrs wk).

16 screens and this works well. I did have 4 full time asst's but lost one a few weeks ago. I've also lost one staff leader and the remaining two have decreased hours due to school being in session.

24 assistants is ludicrous. Someone is simply abusing a title, period. What good woudl all those people do? The right hand wouldn't know what the left was doing and vice-versa.

I think that 2 asst's for your 9 screen woudl be fine. Use a couple of your long term, trustworthy hourly staff as your shift leaders.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-06-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who's at a 5-plex and there are 9 assistants. But there aren't that many floor staff because the theatre went from being nicely busy, to being mostly slow. So I guess they kept the assistants there and cut back on hiring floor staff.

Regarding the 20 plex with 24 assistants, I know that a lot of large theatres like to departmentalize. 1 assistant for floor, 1 for snack bar, 1 for box office, a 20-plex probably has 2 for booth and possibly extra people if there are satellite snack bars. Sounds to me that that's about six per shift, 2 shifts a day plus a possible midshift makes about 14 per day maybe??? 24 sounds about right. As far as people with decision making abilities, that's probably relegated to upper management.

When I ran a 4-plex I generally had 3 assistants. 1 to open, 1 to close every day. I'd have a 2nd manager on shift on Friday night and Saturday mid-shift and possibly sunday morning. And then of course we'd have days off to cover. Three made it perfect.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget - the 20 that just opened near you is manager-operator. That 24 assistant count includes those you might consider to be projectionists.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My five-plex normally has two assistant managers, but because our GM's wife is expecting a baby in a few weeks, we will have three until one of the other assistants leaves after the holiday season.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-07-2004 09:53 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were about 9 at the 24-plex I worked at. Most of them were regular shift assistants and some just worked weekends or holidays. And then alternated during the summer.

Also, another AMC 24 I know of only has 2 assistants. Meanly because it just opened a couple of months ago. They currently just have a lot of supervisors.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 assistants at a 6-plex.
All work under 20 hours each.

I think it works fine. I like having part timers as assistants so they don't burn out so fast.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 12:39 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I have three assistant managers. One full-time salaried, one 30+ hours a week, and a new one working about 20 a week, covering vacations and other oddball shifts. All three of them (in addition to myself) are projectionists.

I think it's a lot easier (and quicker) to teach a good projectionist to be a manager than the other way around.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 11:05 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I started out in the projection booth and then went on to management. Counting money and filling out paperwork is all common sense and clockwork, but projection takes years to master. I know I'll definitely still be learning for a long time.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 part time assistants for a 6 screen right now.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2004 11:14 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a GM and about a half dozen assistants at the 20 plex where I work. We have a couple of assistants who primarily work the booth (just barely enough to cover all the shifts), and the majority of us, myself included, spend most of our time on the floor. A typical weekday shift consists of a manager in the booth, and 2 on the floor: one in charge of box office and one in charge of concession. On the weekends we have a "floor" manager who assists the box and concession people. We have a First Assistant who is second in command to the GM. We used to have a Second Assistant but that position is vacant right now.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Along the same lines, when you choose an assistant, do people apply and interview for the position or do you just snag someone and ask if they want it? I am replacing an assistant now and we offered the chance to interview and explain their perceived qualifications. Of course the interview is not the only measure of worth. My goal is to make everyone take the promotion and the promoted individual more seriously.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2004 12:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We promote from within without a formal interview. However, you may want to do interviews - at least for the managment positions - incase somebody bitches later that they were more qualified than John Doe for the position he got and is now screwing up . . .

(Edited after re-reading Andrew's question more accurately)

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2004 02:14 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People from outside apply and go through a formal interview.
From within, it's kind of a mixed bag. If an employee expresses interest and the GM feels that they're qualified, he will have an informal discussion about the job with them and then they will apply. I was invited to apply for a management position after about a year as floor staff. I guess that's a good thing.

Ramin Hashemi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2004 12:01 AM      Profile for Ramin Hashemi   Email Ramin Hashemi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it also depends on what you call assistant manager. To me, assistant manager is like vice president. They should be ready to step in and take over if the manager is not there. Otherwise, I call them supervisors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: