Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Academy 6 in Pasadena SUCKS!!! (and how to manage customer complaints) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Academy 6 in Pasadena SUCKS!!! (and how to manage customer complaints)
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-04-2004 03:32 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Academy used to be a dollar house that charged something like $4 for a double-bill. The prints were scratched all to hell and the sound was mono. No frills.

My uncle had just told me a few days ago that he would never go to that theatre because he had a bad experience there. (The film broke in the middle of the show.)

Tonight he made an exception because his girlfriend wanted to see THE VILLAGE. I noticed that the cost of tickets had gone up and it now cost $6 for each feature. I asked what they had done to the place to justify the increase and the lady working the box office (turned out to be the manager) told me that she had shown the workers how to clean the butter pump.

She tears our tickets and we head off to our auditorium. By our watches we are 15 minutes early. The show was advertised as a 9:45 start on moviefone.com. My uncle then examines the ticket and realizes that it says 9:50 so we're even earlier than we thought. But when we get into the auditorium, the movie is already in progress.

So we head back to the box office and that's when I notice that the manager lady had punched up tickets for HAROLD AND SOMEBODY AND A CASTLE, which is clearly the wrong feature.

She tells me that's the movie we asked for and I told her that was impossible because we had never even heard of that movie so there is no way we could ever have asked for tickets to see it. Then we learn that the showtimes on moviefone were all wrong and there are no evening shows of THE VILLAGE.

Okay. Fine. No problem. We'll take a refund.

They don't give refunds at the Academy theatres on Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena. She runs off and comes back with passes WHICH CANNOT BE USED ON SATURDAY.

I told her she was full of shit. We just gave her cash. She punched up the wrong ticket by not paying attention and running off at the mouth about how good she can clean a butter warmer. If she's going to give us passes, they should at least be "good as cash" and hence valid for ANY day. Furthermore, these passes will expire in 30 days.

NOW GET THIS:

Some other dude comes back to the box office...It's 9:30pm and she had sold him a ticket for THE VILLAGE...for the12:30 matinee!

|  IP: Logged

Rich Granata
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 10:51 AM      Profile for Rich Granata   Email Rich Granata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with awful customer service like that, i don't know if that place could stay in business long.

I think its inappropriate for her to mention that they now clean the butter pumps. "Good, what do I care?". Either way, that raises a lot of questions in somebody's head. "What else DON't you clean?" there is always job related news/gossip. Employees should not burden customers with stuff like that. They just want to see a movie.

Sorry to hear about that.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-04-2004 12:00 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Academy has been in business for quite some time, and will probably continue to be, as many of their customers don't seem to care, or at least they don't care enough to mention problems to the management.

I think the $6 admission is a bit steep, but sadly in an area that charges $9-$9.75 for tickets, $6.00 is still a bargain. Perhaps they did raise their prices for one last hurrah before they close up shop.

But I went there back when Face Off was in theatres, and they were showing that movie and I think 2 others with the wrong lense, and it wasn't just in the preview like somebody forgot, it was the middle of the feature, as though they either couldn't play scope in some auditoriums, or they just didn't notice the difference.

Honestly I think the building itself is a wonderful testament to how multiplexing got out of hand at an old single screen. That place is hilariously funny and it might be worth the $6 for a good laugh.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow.....man I will remember not to goto that theater if I am ever around that area.....or maybe I will just so I can complain to the management during the show on everything the projectionist is doing wrong [evil]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-04-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The place is a dump. But they do get good use out of their prints. I've seen them play titles for months after they had been played out everywhere else.

Projectionist? Ahem, the lady bragging about her butter pump is what passes for a film-putter-inner at that place.

$6.00 for a single second-run now... That matches the new first-run matinee prices here.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-04-2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed that place is a dump. I had the misfortune of being called in to service the total [bs] that tries to pretend to be projectors. Old CFS consoles (junk even when new) with panels off and K-mart box fans to cool the rectifiers, [Eek!] horrendous CFS mono sound, etc. Century? maybe Cinecita? heads (been a long time since I was there..) that were abused heavily.

But the biggest joke of all was the alleged architect(?) who didn't understand the concepts of KEYSTONE (maybe he/she was thinking keystone cops [Big Grin] ), projection angles and sightlines over seated patrons.

That place has changed ownership several times and for good reason. The best thing that could happen to it would be a large earthquake and some insurance money. [evil]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its always been our policy to give cash refunds if the complaint/personal emergency/whatever happens less than halfway through the movie. Even then exceptions can be made for people who come out later in the feature.

Whatever policy your theatre has it should be common sense to give a cash refund in the situation Manny describes. Ridiculous.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-04-2004 02:19 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, when my uncle finally does get around to using those passes, the distributor won't see a dime because those tickets will be generated as "free passes" when, in effect, they were actually paid-for in advance.

I wonder...What are the odds that she gave us those awful passes and then later refunded our tickets, keeping the cash for herself?

Also, I'm not up on the points of the exhibition agreement so I'll ask here: Is it kosher for tickets to be torn by the same person who sold the ticket?

Oh. And about that popcorn. I bought a small bag -- waaaaay too much salt...and no less than three scorched pieces. [Eek!]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually its not a good idea to have the cashier act as ticket tearer also, only makes double selling that much easier. Unfortunately on many days-particularily during the school year-having a seperate ticket tearer can't really be justified cost wise.

However, it is a policy with the company I work (not the same one that owns this theatre) that the manager is to never sell tickets.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-04-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We generally have a "no refund" policy. However, it does have certain thresholds that I think are legally arguable.

If you've paid money to see a show and it either doesn't start or you change your mind before it does start... I think you'd have an argument for getting your money back. The only exception we apply to that is if you've grossly misbehaved to the point we've had to call in 'de law'... in which case you get nada.

If Manny had called the cops, they'd have probably seen a case for fraud, whether the company has a 'no refund' policy or not.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hell no...

If I pay cash for something and don't get what I paid for, I had better get a CASH REFUND or heads will roll and the sh*t's gonna hit the fan. Just wait to f*ck with me like that. Just wait.... Maybe it's an urban SF thing or something...but we don't put up with stuff like that.

I remember a recent screening where the movie had to be stopped 20 minutes into the film and the management of the theatre wanted to just give passes to everybody, and they almost had a riot on their hands. Needless to say, they went and 'opened the safe' (their excuse) and gave everybody cash refunds AND free passes.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our policy is passes first and refund second. The trick is, while offering passes treat the customer with the respect and dignity in which they are due. More often then not they will accept the pass if a staff member makes them feel like a human being. This has worked well over the years (especially among senior citizens who think they are getting something for nothing).

Getting belligerent and demanding one's money back is ignorant at best and, in my opinion, downright asinine.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-04-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
The trick is...
First -- there's no "trick" to this. [puke]

Business is business. You can't deliver the product? Give the money back. Why keep it?

I hereby challenge you to give me a defensible position as to why the theatre or distributor is entitled to hold onto that person's cash.

Getting belligerent and demanding one's money back is ignorant at best and, in my opinion, downright asinine.
So let me see if I have this correct..?

It's asinine for me to stand up for my rights as a consumer?

And...the correct thing for me to do is to play dumb and act as though the pass is like getting something for nothing? If your default assumption is that I'm some kind of idiot then are you really "treating the customer with the respect and dignity in which they are due" ?

That's lip-service and I have zero respect for anyone who speaks with a forked tongue.

Anyone who treats customers like that is an ass.

And anyone who could make such statements about the elderly is, in MY opinion, an insensitive asshole with fucked up ways.

Slimeball theatres like that are part of the reason why people are staying home to watch DVDs.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-04-2004 07:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Like hell it is. I recently picked up cable internet service from Cebridge Communications. These people are complete morons in every sense of the word. Not only is it IMPOSSIBLE to get through to their tech support lines, it is DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to get through to a supervisor at the order center. My cable connection never worked properly from day one, yet they are trying to bill me for services, despite my estimated 4 hours on hold trying to get through to a human being and my estimated 1 hour explaining to a dozen different employees that the service was not working, to send a tech out. These morons even told me over the phone "oh yeah we can see your connection is down"...but did they do anything about it? Of course not. In fact, even my letter telling them to cancel the service didn't work. After 3 months, they finally "turned off the service" (that never existed) and turned it over to a bill collector...which turned out to be an automated service! That's right, I can't even get through to a human there either explaining that I refuse to pay for a service of which I never received. It's not the amount of money owed. In fact it would be far easier to just pay it, but it's the principle of the matter.

Having a theater take money from a customer and then not provide the service purchased is the same thing. Now I am fine if passes are offered first and then cash refunds are CHEERFULLY given if a customer requests it. However for anyone who requests their money back, the theater OWES those customers a CASH refund. No ifs ands or butts...or it is the manager who is being assinine. Any manager who does that to his customers is STEALING from them. There is no reason to sugar coat it. That manager would be a criminal.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 07:42 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to take the middle ground here. If there is a minor interuption, a pass to another film typically will suffice to make the customers happy. Management should, IMHO, offer the passes first, before anyone has a chance to ask for them.

If someone wants a cash refund, however, give it to them, and free passes.. Better to keep the customer than to keep their $10.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: