Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New Cinemark Theatre in Denton, Texas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: New Cinemark Theatre in Denton, Texas
Gregory Brannon
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2004 11:22 PM      Profile for Gregory Brannon   Email Gregory Brannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
took at trip to Denton, Texas (college town north of Dallas)this weekend and noticed that Cinemark is building a new theatre along Interstate 35. The location is only 6 miles north of the RaveMotionPictures 16. I'm surprised that Cinemark would build a theatre so closed to a three year old established theatre that does things equally if not better than most new Cinemark Theatres.

The signage says opening fall 2004 but I'm not sure if that's possible because they've just erected the outer frame. Oddly, Cinemark website never made mention in their Press Release section of the construction of this new theatre as they did when the announced new theatres in Sherman, Texas and Cedar Hill, Texas over 2 years ago. Maybe they wanted quietly enter into RaveMotionPictures territory. Also, it was announced earlier this year that one of those new urban developments with apartments and restaurants was announced for Denton and it was to include a Premiere Cinemas 12 screen.

Denton is a growing town and has the University of North Texas but I don't know if it's big enough for that many theatres in such close proximity.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-01-2004 12:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denton, by itself, is not quite big enough to support all those screens (yet). However, Denton is hardly by itself in that neck of the woods. The Dallas-Fort Worth megapolis is growing north and northwest. Size of population in other established cities like Garland and Richardson is rivaling that of Fort Worth. What are they going to call the metroplex in a few years? Dallas-Garland-Carollton-Irving-Grand Prairie-Richardson-Fort Worth?

Lots of people are building houses and whole developments in unincorporated areas around the northern reaches of DFW. Communities like Sherman, McKinney, Decatur and more will quickly grow. If the development keeps going, I-35 from Dallas will be urban/suburbanized all the way to Lake Texoma.

So in short, I guess all those theaters are just trying to get in there in advance of the growth, before real estate prices get too expensive.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That theatre is slated to open in December 2004. Once they get the roof on the building things start happening pretty quickly. 6 miles from another competitor is not a bad distance. They will play the same movies and not be in direct competition with each other. Basically convenience will win out as to who goes where. Being near an interstate is a plus.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 05:48 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Denton and work at that Rave to the south. I am quite interested in seeing how the new Cinemark building turns out when it is finished.

quote: Bobby Henderson
What are they going to call the metroplex in a few years? Dallas-Garland-Carollton-Irving-Grand Prairie-Richardson-Fort Worth?
Well we sort of call it "The Golden Triangle" if you count Denton as the 3rd point. We even have a mall here called by that name, which is where I originally worked as manager/projectionist for a UA there.

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cant wait for the new cinemark. I'm hoping to arrange that I can work at the cinemark in denton while i'm in school here and then work at my home theatre back in mckinney during the summer. It couldnt be any more perfect [Cool]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-05-2004 12:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That shouldn't be too hard to do. Especially if you are in the same reagions. That way the same Reagion Leader would know what is going on. As far as setting up the payroll it is not very hard at all. Even better now since you either have Direct deposit or a pay card. No worry about what theater your pay check goes to.

Chad Lindsey
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2004 12:34 AM      Profile for Chad Lindsey   Email Chad Lindsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont suppose anyone loves me enough to snap some pictures of the new theatre and send them this way... although i expect it to look a lot like the 12 here in Sherman.

Gregory Brannon
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2004 10:51 AM      Profile for Gregory Brannon   Email Gregory Brannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They only thing constructed thus far is the outer stone walls. The roof hasn't even been put up yet. The parking lot is finished. I agree with you that it will probably be similar in design to the Sherman Cinemark that opened last December.

The new Cinemark in Cedar Hill, Texas is scheduled to open Oct. 22nd. Kinda a odd date, I figured they would have opened Nov. 5th to cash in on The Incredibles opening up.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-06-2004 11:00 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Cinemark doing double-walls or something now to help reduce sound leakage in their new builds? That's the one thing they didn't do here that really detracts from the show sometimes.

Chad Lindsey
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2004 10:36 PM      Profile for Chad Lindsey   Email Chad Lindsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Denton is going to be 14 screens, anyone know if it will be a Cedar Hill clone?

Ben Holley
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Ben Holley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Lindsey
Dont suppose anyone loves me enough to snap some pictures of the new theatre and send them this way
Chad, I would love to take some pictures of it for you but we both know if I took pictures of a cinemark theatre that Leroy Mitchell and Mrs. Baty would come and kill me in my sleep [thumbsup]

Chad Lindsey
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 07:39 PM      Profile for Chad Lindsey   Email Chad Lindsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont think they'd mind some exterior shots... but then again I could be wrong. I'd really like to transfer over there when they get a mngmt staff on site, guess it just depends on who the GM will be.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nahhh, She won't get you. I have my theatre photos and a video on this site, courtesy of Brad. Go Ahead, take some shots !

Gregory Brannon
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Gregory Brannon   Email Gregory Brannon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the following story in the Fort Worth Startelegram regarding a new Cinemark in Mansfield. The article mentions future Cinemark locations including Allen, Texas. The Cinemark Legacy 24 is at the outskirts of Plano/Allen boarder. Where else in Allen can Cinemark build a 12 screen theatre without eating into Cinemark Legacy's revenue?

Posted on Wed, Oct. 06, 2004

I M A G E S

STAR-TELEGRAM/DARRELL BYERS
Developer Marc Kossman speaks at the groundbreaking ceremony for a 12-screen movie theater in Mansfield, which is expected to open on Memorial Day next year.
More photos...

Officials break ground on theater

By Robert Cadwallader

Special to the Star-Telegram

MANSFIELD - City and business leaders on Tuesday celebrated Mansfield's long-awaited movie theater, which could be another economic catalyst in this fast-growing area.

Officials ceremonially broke ground Tuesday on the 12-screen Cinemark theater, which is expected to open on Memorial Day next year and will be the centerpiece of a planned 200,000-square-foot commercial-retail complex at U.S. 287 and Farm Road 157.

Officials hope residents in Mansfield and surrounding communities will spend more entertainment dollars in Mansfield, which hasn't had a movie house since Farr Best Theater closed in 1975.

"With everything that has come in the last couple of years, this says Mansfield is a city now, a quality city," Mayor Mel Neuman said. "It's not just a suburb."

The city is in the midst of a construction frenzy along U.S. 287 that has brought several restaurants and major retailers -- Home Depot, Lowe's, Target and Tom Thumb among them -- since 2000. A deal has also been finalized for a 40-acre Big League Dreams baseball complex at U.S. 287 and East Broad Street, and construction on a $100 million hospital is set to begin in June, just east of the baseball complex site.

Site work actually began two months ago for the $4 million theater, which will have 2,100 stadium seats and is the first phase of the retail complex.

Although no lease agreements with major tenants have been announced, deals have been finalized for an On The Border restaurant and a Cold Stone Creamery ice cream parlor at the 35-acre site. Officials said they are nearing an agreement with Applebee's restaurant.

City officials credit much of the recent commercial development to a population growth spurt over the past four years, from 30,000 residents to about 50,000.

Kossman Development Co. of Pittsburgh, which is building the theater and shopping center, said its venture would be too risky without the $1 million tax incentive that the city granted. The tax breaks will lower the construction costs, which will allow Kossman to offer lower-cost leases.

"Without this incentive that we have, a lot of retailers were passing us by," said Marc Kossman, director of company operations.

Cinemark, which specializes in mid-size theater markets, also plans to open theaters in Cedar Hill, Denton, Rockwall and Allen, said Frank Gonzales, a marketing manager at Cinemark's corporate headquarters in Plano.

City Councilman Jeff Newberry, who has fond memories of watching movies as a youngster at Farr Best, said he will be a regular customer of the Cinemark.

"I'm excited, because I don't like driving to Arlington," Newberry said. "Honestly, I can't tell you the last time I saw a movie."

Chad Lindsey
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2004 08:41 AM      Profile for Chad Lindsey   Email Chad Lindsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALLEN?? Thats a surprise to me! The only way I can see that working out well is if McKinney Movies 14 becomes a discount and Allen gets one of the new 12's or 14's, but still.. Legacy would we awfully close. Is Allen really that big yet? Hmmmm...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: