Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Showing Movies in a Cemetery!

Author Topic: Showing Movies in a Cemetery!
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 01:14 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Ultimate LA': Showing Movies in a Cemetery; by Jessica Gresko (AP) Wednesday August 25, 2004:

LOS ANGELES-Amid the mausoleums and headstones at Hollywood Forever Cemetery, about 1700 living guests have unfurled picnic blankets and set up beach chairs, erected makeshift coffee tables with flowers, candles, and unpacked dinners of sushi, fried chicken or pasta salad.

They're here for cinema cemetery-style, an experience shared with the graveyards 88,000 long-term residence. Later, the nights film will start, projected on a mausoleum wall.

"It's the ultimate LA experience," film fan Mark Koberg said between mouthfuls of smoked turkey and arugula sandwiches, washed down with wine.

Six years ago, the cemetery, which adjoins Paramount Studios' back lot, wouldn't have been inviting.

Though at least a hundred Hollywood icons are laid to rest there-including actor Rudolph Valentino, 'Ten Commandments' producer Cecil B. Demille and Bugs Bunny voice Mel Blank-the cemetery's own fame had faded. Its previous owners had run it into bankruptcy, and a 1994 earthquake left tombstones tilted and cracked, while El nino rains flooded its lake.

Then in 1988, Tyler Cassity, a cemetery entrepreneur, bought the century-old graveyard for $375,000. He operates seven cemeteries in California, Illinois and Missouri. His first charge in Hollywood, however, was revitalizing the cemetery-repaving roads, replacing broken stained glass inside mausoleums and righting monuments.

he also began showing movies. And he believes he's the only person in the country to combine classic movies and mausoleums.

"it makes sense when your neighbor is Paramount Studios," Cassity said. "To me it's dependant on the community around you and who is buried there. It is memorializing them in some way? Showing movies in a cemetery where there wern't film stars-it wouldn't make sense."

Cassity began by showing a Valentino film on the anniversary of the romantic hero's death, when 200 to 300 fans would come by to pay their respects. Then he was approached by John Wyatt, the founder of Cinespia, a Los ANgeles film society dedicated to screening and preserving classic films. The society was frowing too large to go to screenings as a group and was looking for a new home, one with history, Wyatt said.

Cassity said the partnership felt righ: historic movies in a historic setting. Since then, Cinespia has made the 620-acre park its movie theatre on summer weekends, and next years season is already being planned.

Growing mainly via e-mail and word of mouth, the event (billed as an evening "below and above the stars") has been suprisingly successful, and even as it has grown it has retained a small-group feel-visitors making friends and sharing food with their neighbors.

Wyatt, who chooses the films, says he likes bringing his favorite films to a wider audience, and Cassity attributes part of the series' success to a growing interest in death, pointing to the popularity of the TV show 'Six Feet Under' and a recent reality series about a family-run mortuary.

Visitors do keep some distance during the evening events. They dont actually sit on graves, though a few gfamily mausoleums ring the perimeter of the lawn where movies are shown, including those of actor Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and his father, who helped co-found United Artist Studios.

The crowd of mostly 20-30-somethings, some in the movie and public relations industry themselves, seem to recognize they're in a special place. They pick up after themselves, and that's helped keep complaints to a minimum-only two so far.

Some guests acknowledged being a little "creeped out" by the cemetery. But, the time and location didn't bother Russell Rabichev, who watched a movie one recent weekend.

"After two minutes you forget it's a cemetery," he said.

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2004 02:21 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I foresee insurmountable ghosting problems.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2004 10:16 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projectionists at GCC AVCO Cinemas in Westwood, CA., parked in the cemetery behind the theatre. There was many odd things you would see getting out after a late show in theatre and going back to your car behind those gates. [Eek!] [thumbsup]

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that unusual, to me at least. Among other things I'm into when I'm not showing movies, I'm president of an historic old cemetery, a 33-acre place with a little over 15,000 interments. Most cemeteries, especially the newer memorial parks, are meant to be parks in the first place. You see people having picnics (from what I've seen, not on any graves), religious groups hold events such as Easter Sunrise services, etc. I can especially see it being done at the place mentioned above, considering who is buried there.

Cemeteries are history books. They are places of love, honor, and respect. Maintaining our cemetery I never saw a grave marker that said "Boo!" And if they are also considered parks, why not hold public events there?

Not a problem.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-31-2004 02:28 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Line-Up:

To Live and Die in LA
Die Hard
Ghost Dad
Evil Dead
Afterlife
Better off Dead
Far from Heaven
Die Another Day
Ghost
Dawn of the Dead
Never Die Alone
Judgement Day

Oh, and From Justin to Kelly, because everyone dies a little bit inside everytime they're forced to watch it.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-31-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about "Return of the Living Dead". [Eek!]

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2004 02:49 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to pass, as I wanted to see Night Of The Living Dead, Dead Pool, and Dead Ringer. Oh well.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A "Casper The Friendly Ghost" cartoon to preceed the feature is an absolute MUST!!! [Smile]

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2004 09:09 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw a fine DVD documentary about Hollywood Forever cemetery and its new young owners, titled "The Young and the Dead." Almost makes you look forward to the experience!

These guys put the "FUN" back in "FUNERAL"!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-02-2004 10:54 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cinespia.org/

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-03-2004 01:01 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's interesting. Now I actually might consider going to one of those. Creepy, but exciting.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-03-2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once it's dark and most folks are horizontal how can you not have a good time? [Cool]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-03-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? Like this? [Big Grin]

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: