Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The Sickest thing ever encountered in the theater (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: The Sickest thing ever encountered in the theater
Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 08:17 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the sickest thing you have had to deal with at a theater?

Here is mine

The other day a retarded (yes he was really retarded) guy went into the bathroom and then started to puke, we could here it in the lobby for what seemed like 5 min or so. He came out, wiped his face with his shirt and then told us that he puked in the restroom. The lady working the concession stand at the time asked the man if he got it in the toilet and he said most of it, the went back and watched the rest of his movie. Well I went to take a look to see the damage (bad idea) he did not get most of it in the toilet and I think there was blood in it, I about puked my self just from the smell. [puke] I could not clean it up because the smell was that bad, some one else that could actually stand it had to do it.

[Edit]
It was the assistant manager that volunteered to clean it up

[ 09-02-2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Jason M Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 11:15 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's nasty ya'all have to deal with that. I would have hired a janitorial service...

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-24-2004 11:43 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there is at least one other thread with the title subject here, I just can't get it to come up in a search...

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason M Miller
toilet and I think there was blood in it
I would not have cleaned it up or gone anywhere near it if there was blood. You never know what these weirdos are walking around with now adays. Spend the money and have someone come in that can clean it professionally. Sure your customers need the restroom but it isn't worth your health for.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 02:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was given the message that there was a "mess" in the men's room, so I went to go check it out. I opened our first stall, and there was just an unflushed toilet full of fecal matter and toilet paper. No biggie...so I flush and continue to check the rest of the stalls. Second one was fine, as was the third. Then, when I got to the fourth, I saw something I'll never forget. There, in the toilet bowl, floated a piece of [bs] the size of a loaf of bread. No, I am not kidding, the log was a more or less a REAL log of poopie. My first reaction was laughter because I cannot imagine any human dispensing such a monstrosity. Obviously, it was so big that it wouldn't fit down the hole in the toilet, so I grabbed a plunger to break it. I finally broke it up, the smell filled the room (icky) and got rid of the loaf of poop. It was a day long remembered...

AJG

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 05:18 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a guy take a [bs] in ALL the stand up urinals We had 8 of them i belive. Lucky for us it was during the last set of shows so the cleaning compnay had to take care of it. [evil]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-24-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now then would you say it was pretty evenly divided? That would take some predictive skills and, um, intestinal fortitude. [Mad]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-24-2004 08:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The World's Worst Job?

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago at the Music Box in Chicago we would occasionally have a certain Female patron give us an Ebert review and aim Her Ass directly at the wall behind the Bowl and let fly with explosive diarrhea. The Janitor lived about a block away and would charge an extra $20.00 to come in & do the clean up. He would then,immediately take the $20 & get stoned. Can't say I blame Him. It was N-A-S-T-Y!!! [bs] [Eek!] [puke]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 09:29 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fred,

We've had the very same thing happen at my location, numerous times, always in the womens restroom. I just dont' get it... I've never shit myself before but somehow I've always made it to the toilet.

Puking all over the place is one thing... and again, I've been lucky enough to make it to either a toilet, sink, trash can or outside on the ground...

Last night there were [puke] piles in TWO different theatres during the same show set! The Notebook and Princess Diaries II.

Speaking of [puke] , what do you guys use to 'soak' it up? Kitty litter? Absorb All? Spill Magic?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 08-24-2004 10:16 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one of my theaters in the men's room (which is actually a big surprise) a man wiped his feces all over the bathroom (it was a small 2 stall, 3 urinal) including the walls, the mirror, the sinks, and the urinals. I paid one of the boys that worked for me $25 bucks from petty cash to clean it up. He deserved it! [puke]

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 10:58 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few gross things...

1. A man stopped me in the lobby and told me there was a problem in the men's room. The problem was that "someone smeared it all over the floor." I asked him what "it" was and he just went "you know...it." So I went in there and there were [bs] footprints all over the floor. That's not the worst I've seen, though. #2 is.
2. Someone puked in one of the sinks in the women's restroom. I was still working as floor staff when this happened. There were no female employees on duty, so me and another guy had to go clean it up. The puke had plugged up the drain and there was no way to get it out. So we put about a dozen gloves on each hand and proceeded to scoop the vomit out of the sink with our hands and throw it into a mop bucket, which we then threw in the dumpster.
3. Our booth tech told us that at one of the theatres he used to work at, a woman gave birth to a stillborn baby in a bathroom stall and left it there, bloody mess and all. They had to call the cops and the coroner and try to track her down.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2004 11:30 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As teenagers (long ago) my friends and I worked in a variety of service stations .. when they were service stations.

Anyway, the women's 'rest room' was always the most disgusting .. always. I've never understood why, but it doesn't sound like much has changed.

Ron Yost

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2004 02:02 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the last several years, almost all the custodial workers who clean restrooms, pickup trash in assembly areas, etc. I've seen have been wearing latex or vinyl gloves. I don't know if it's local health regulations or specified by employers (whether the business or a temp agency), but it seems pretty much essential.

There are a lot of diseases transferred not just from fluids like blood & vomit, but especially from feces, airborne or oral. Oral contact is usually through some intermediate agency: some very small (even just a part of a virus) material is transferred to some object, that object is touched, then when eating it's ingested. Viruses, worms, etc., enjoy the gross-out.

I really wish that those folks whose obligations inculde some restroom cleanup would wear some kind of gloves. Just call the local health department, tell them what you do, ask if the job requires gloves by law, & then tell your employer who will have to provide them. Or be even lower-key, & ask the health department to send a general notice of the specifics of the law's requirements to the management of the theater. Otherwise, please get the glovesyourself. Latex & vinyl gloves are CHEAP from medical supply stores, online is probably uselessly inconvenient, but there's likely a local medical supply or home healthcare store where you can quickly run by & get them. If not, check for a local janitorial supply store, it seems likely they'd have them, & who knows, maybe Wal-Mart will.

Latex & vinyl gloves artfully photograped & sold online

They turn inside out when you take them off, isolating the surface which contacted any nastiness. Throw them away, put on a new pair next time, because you will touch the exterior when putting them on.

Be aware of latex allergy. Many people are allergic to latex, & it gets worse the more they're in contact with it. It's got a broad range of symptoms, from skin reaction to respiratory difficulty to cardiac failure. Some people react just when latex is nearby. If you notice something, switch to vinyl immediately. The powder used on latex gloves makes it worse, since particles of latex attach to the powder & become airborne.

I had noticed when talking to folks who have to clean restrooms at theaters that they always DREAD the ladies' room. It seemed strange, since statistically women seem to be more concerned with being tidy than men. I finally asked a guy why that is, & he said: it's because they won't sit down on the seats. They just stand straddling over the toilet, not even touching the lid to lift it with a shoe, & let go. Stuff goes everywhere, all over, it's horrible.

Today, we have considered comparative pooping mechanics. Somebody bright needs to analyze the process & come up with a practical system to get rid of the problem. I really doubt those paper seat covers dispensed in some restrooms would be used much at all because of all the manual intervention required.

If you've got to function in an environment with a nasty smell which we've developed a strong repellent reaction to for self-preservation reasons (poop, vomitus, decaying tissue, etc.) & must battle nausea, faintness, dangerous distraction, etc., an old trick is to overwhelm your nose with a strong, non-revolting smell - like putting a dab of Vick's Vap-O-Rub under each nostril.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-25-2004 02:02 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brandon Willis
a woman gave birth to a stillborn baby in a bathroom stall and left it there, bloody mess and all.
DING DING DING!!! I think we have a winner! [puke]

In other news, about 8 years ago, someone unloaded a huge [bs] in the ELEVATOR at the Sebastopol Cinemas... [bs]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: