Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How locked-out are you with a pre-show contract?

Author Topic: How locked-out are you with a pre-show contract?
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 12:54 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a theater has signed a long term contract with a screen advertiser, is that theater allowed to use its pre-show digital projector to screen other content. For example, if a theater wanted to run a one minute cartoon right before the trailers that it self-produced, would that be okay with most screen advertisers? It is technically not an ad, so the pre-show advertiser shouldn't freak out about it, right?

|  IP: Logged

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 02:28 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Key words - Signed and Contract.

What does the contract say? If it says you can or cant use the digipro, then there is your answer. If it says nothing, then you are not contractually prevented from using the digipro...

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 09:35 AM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I don't happen to have a screen advertising contract in my possession (someone wanna send me one to look at?) so I wanted to throw it out to the group to sort of see what the general consensus was.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-20-2004 09:39 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember it is a contract between the theatre chain and the ad company that provides those projectors and service. So you are talking about money and ad screen time. Someone paid money to place or run their ads in that screen time before the show. If you are working for a chain , the theatre manager might not have the right to say you can do it. You would have to check with your District Manager or Home Office for the answer. With you being in the Southern California ad market, you might not know who's in the auditorium watching. It could be someone from the home office or someone who paid for the ad or the ad service.
Running those slide or digi-projector pre-shows is money paid to the theatre. I would watch out and get the right answer from the District Manager.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, the theatre is given a certain amount of time that they can use for their own promos. If they would prefer to use this to run a cartoon, instead of a gift certificate promo, etc., I'm sure there would not be a problem with this.

Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 03:34 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that answer, Mike. Is this theater "free time" an industry wide trend as far as you know?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-20-2004 06:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, as others have already said, you REALLY do need to find out what your theatre is contractually required to do. Industry trends are nothing to bank on, and if you do something to violate your theatre's contract, no trend will help you. A contract can literally be individualized to the location... it's probable that it's not, but the point is that it CAN be. Therefore, no discussion about trends or actual requirements at other locations can substitute for actually knowing what is expected at your specific place.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-21-2004 01:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the theatres that have them in my service area also rent out the theatres for DVD screenings for private partys and Birthdays. The customer rents the house and brings his own DVD and friends.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: