Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Dealing with co-workers that hate you (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dealing with co-workers that hate you
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 04:04 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

I have a short post to make. Currently, I have a real awesome job, but a few of my friends from work have told me stories about what other co-workers say behind my back. These friends are people I've been working with only since May. They say real rude remarks that I don't want to get into and comment about my entire overall performance. When I get into work and they're scheduled, they fake being kind to me or are rude and really don't answer my questions.

Is there anything I can personnally do to make the rest of my summer enjoyable? How did you deal with issues like this when you were younger?

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 05:00 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
first off....where do they work/where do you work? If they work on the floor, and you work in the booth...then it's not too hard to just stay away.

As for them saying shit behind your back you can either kill them with kindness or just keep from them. I had a problem with a co-worker and I just confronted him. How high are you on the "food chain" at the theatre? That helps sometimes too

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew--

It's obvious you are a fairly new employe there that would put
you somewhere near the bottom of the "peckng order", so, grit
your teeth and bare with it. Always try to be on the offensive
rather than the defensive and I feel people will have a hard
time cracking down that steel wall. In other words, "Keep The
Mouth Zipped" It worked for me for 60 years! [Smile]
fjn
Local 294 Ret.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-15-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without reopening any old wounds from the past here at F-T, are you doing anything similar to what you had done to people here on F-T to people there at your theatre? Sure way to make everyone not wanna like you anymore.

-Aaron

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 08-15-2004 09:30 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron!

Anyway,

Andrew I'd just grin and bear it, you're young, it happens. Try not to talk to those people unless it involves work, it sucks but it happens to everyone - REALLY!

If it gets to the point where it is interfering with your work why don't you try talking to a supervisor or your manager? Then again, that can make things better but it can also make things worse depending on your work environment.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 01:55 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew:

Having read your many posts, it certainly is apparent that you love this business and would like to make a career in it if possible. Usually when someone likes what he/she does, and especially when you want to advance in that field, you will work harder then those who do it just for a paycheck. Sometimes in doing that you will alienate yourself from those who don't really give a crap about their job. They look at you as an ass kisser and suckup to your superiors. If you truly want to advance in this business, don't allow those people to stand in your way. Just do the very best job you are capable of doing. You only have to impress your boss, not your co-workers. If you do indeed do an excellent job, you will leave them behind shortly anyway. You may even become their boss. I doubt that they would stick around.

I experienced the same thing once when I was young. I was working as an usher at a large downtown movie palace. I loved my job and that theatre. The manager of another movie palace up the street would often stop in to see the manager of the theatre where I worked, and obviously noticed my performance. He approached me and convinced me to come and work at his theatre.

The only reason I switched theatres was because I saw it as an opportunity to possibly advance to a higher position. I performed my duties at the new theatre the same as at the old one. I knew what to do, and I did it. No one had to tell me what to do as I had already been trained at the first theatre. One day during a matinee one of the other ushers (about 6 inches taller then me)cornered me in the rear of the auditorium, and told me that I was making the rest of the staff look bad, and that I should back off or hit the road. I know that I was trembling on the inside, but I didn't let him see that on the outside. I told him that it wasn't me that was making them look bad, but rather they... themselves, and that they could easily solve that problem by doing what was expected of them. About a week or so later when he saw that I wasn't about to change... he quit. I never had a problem with the rest of the staff after that. The manager later told me that after "Gary" left, that the rest of the staff really seemed to shape up.

Within five years of that incident, I owned the first theatre, and the manager there who had given me my first job in a theatre worked for me. By that time, the manager of the 2nd theatre, who hired me away from the first, was managing one of my theatres in another town. About ten years later I aquired the 2nd theatre as well.

Well Andrew, as you can see, you never know what the future will hold, but you can have a lot do do with the outcome of your future. As far as your co-workers... be friendly to them, be helpful, but don't belittle them or boss them around if they aren't doing their job. Remember, if they don't do their job well, all they are doing is making you look even better if you're doing yours well, and that will be noticed... by those that count.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-16-2004 06:16 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dean said it best

quote: Dean Kollet
As for them saying shit behind your back you can either kill them
Just kidding Andrew!! Really, all you can do is ignore them or be really nice to them. It usually pisses people off the most when they dont like you, and you are extremely nice to them. I wouldnt let it bother me too much if I were you. Its happened to everybody, you just happen to find out about it.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 07:54 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We fired a kid last week. We all thought that we were all getting along really well. The kid had picked up the way we work really fast, and was doing a good job. Suddenly he started laying out of work and when he was there, he was a turd. After the firing, we found that he was telling customers, whoever would listen, that we were all a bunch of bastards, jerks, etc. This started the first day he was not being trained. Wow.

PS: this is NOT a theatre-related job.

What an asshole. He's 24, and has a long way to go before retirement, and he is not cute enough to be kept by someone.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice.

This is a seasonal job from May-September. I just realized that we're only gonna be open 3.5 more weeks, but I do want to try to make my life a little less miserable, especially if I'm back next year.

I've actually been pretty quiet. I'm going to try the "extremely nice" thing, as well as something else I've kind of noticed: When you ask people a lot of questions about them, and you don't really talk abotu yourself, people just seem to think "Hey they're nice", so I'm gonna try that too.

Hopefully I can grow up the corporate ladder too... I'm the only one who up-sells, or suggests cheese on fries and hot dogs!! [thumbsup]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-16-2004 05:05 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You see there is your problem. You are THE ONLY ONE who upsells. Most people hate upselling, most people hate bieng upsold. It's your job and you do it well, so people don't hold it against you, but when you do your job well, and others are there just for the job, and especially since you are the new guy, you are going to get ragged upon by coworkers. Just part of the game. Just play your cards right and do your job well. If the theater has any value at all the management will see it.

As for upselling, the title of my first book is called "DON'T TELL ME WHAT I WANT! 10 reasons that suggestive selling doesn't work and other business myths debunked"

It isn't finished yet, but plan to have the first copy to my editors for review by next february. Did you know that it takes like FOREVER to write a book? DAMN.

Ok I am off subject. Keep up the hard work, you will make it if you do that.

Ciao

Dave

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-16-2004 05:56 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Editors? As in you already have a publisher? If you don't, by the time you get one it'll seem like it took no time at all to write the book itself! [Smile]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 09:09 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, May I suggest glancing at my threads in the Ground Level regarding something very similar. I also was made fun of and abused because I cared about my work and it wasn't just a job for me, It was my living...meaning my only job. I cared about what I did and actually took the time to learn about how everything worked. I was called "obsessive", and that the booth and projectors were my "girlfriend". Check out a few answers there. I don't remember what they are called, but they should be on the 2nd or 3rd page of the Ground Level.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 05:47 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew:

Do yourself a favor. Listen to Richard Wolfe. Just read his post over and over again.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-17-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce McGee
...and he is not cute enough to be kept by someone.

Oh my...

quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Do yourself a favor. Listen to Richard Wolfe. Just read his post over and over again.

Way tooooo long to read. [sleep]

I think Floyd and Aaron said it best.

Keep in mind (from my personal experience), the higher up you are in the food-chain "pecking order", the more likely you're going to have those that are jealous and want to take you down. It's just part of human nature.

No matter how frustrating and depressing, don't let it get to you... Be you're own person! ALWAYS do your best!

>>> Phil

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 08:02 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, you may not believe it, but A LOT of people don't like me. In fact most of the people that I work with hate me. But you know , I am not there to make friends. I am there to make money and do a good job. My best advice is to just get used to it, everywhere you go people will not like you for whatever reason.

Other than that you really have two choices, if you dont want them to like you then just dont say anything about it and just brush it off like you don't care.

If you want them to like you then jsut start saying hi in the halls and try to make small talk. Just remember that some people do tend to act one way in front of you and another behind your back, this is just the way they are.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: