Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Florida area theatres/Hurricane Charley (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Florida area theatres/Hurricane Charley
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys and gals..

Batton down the hatches and hang on. Here's hoping that no-one suffers any loss of life or incurs any bodily injuries. buildings can be replaced, you can't.

Bunker down and good luck. I, and I'm sure others, will follow Charley closely.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-13-2004 04:39 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to all out there, be safe and I wish the best for you and your loved ones.
[Smile]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 06:00 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OTOH, Carmike Lake Walden Cinema 8, please blow down...with nobody in it of course

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in VA, we're not expecting it to be too bad, just some heavy rain. But everyone knows what rain does to your attendance. Not only that, but a good 40% of our staff requested off this weekend, and several people have left to go back to school. I'm thinking that tomorrow may be the first day in my entire career when I will call in sick to work.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 08:12 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, what theatres closed for Charley? Here in Gainesville, all of the theatres eventually closed today.

For those of you farther along... have fun - be careful!!

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 09:17 PM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the warning has moved up here to the South Carolina coast, my theatre is closed for Saturday. Luckily, we're most likely to get the west side of the storm. Hope all down in Florida are okay, we'll get our share Saturday morning.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were given offical notice of a mandatory evac. at 6pm. We ran the 7:00 sets for those who had prepurchased tickets and wanted to see the shows. We will determine at what point we re-open based on the evac being lifted.

Hope you all are out of harms way. As much as severe weather awes me, I get to where I hate it more and more due to the additional workload it creates.... [Mad]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2004 07:13 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope all our fellow theatre managers and employees in Port Charlotte, Florida braved the storm and are OK.

I read an article that there are 'significant deaths' in the Punta Gorda area of Florida. Being a former resident of the area - I do wish all those people the best.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2004 12:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, I'm here and ok. Well, so far, until I find out if my place is ok. I came down to Royal Palm Beach from Orlando for a planned weekend with the folks which ended up becoming a hurricane evacuation after all. I haven't been back up there since it hit, but here's what i've heard so far from the news and from friends:

-16 dead in the state so far, 2 in Orange County

-Large trees reported to be uprooted around my area. the Orlando Executive Airport which borders the theater I work at had significant damage, hangars destroyed and planes flipped over. A friend told me the theater's marquee is gone. Signs along the highway are bent over touching the ground.

-Don't know much about the Carmike Lake Walden 8, but the Carmike University 8 is reported to also be missing its marquee and sustaining some damage.

-Many areas, including my house up there apparently, are still without power. A vast majority of people are also without cell phone service.

-Charley was a Category 4 hurricane when it hit the coast, Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. By the time it reached Orlando, it was a Category 3. Still very powerful with winds gusting over 100mph.

-Here at my parents' house, we didn't even get any rain from this storm. The city is far south-east of where it made landfall.

I can't get back up to Orlando until Tuesday, hopefully power will be restored by then and I can go check on my place. There are (were?) two large trees in front and one in back of my house, so hopefully none of those have made it into the living room. I guess I picked a good weekend to leave town!

Now let's hope Earl or Danielle don't decide to pay us a visit. [Frown]

=TMP=

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 08-16-2004 10:03 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Thom,
Glad to hear from ya, I was starting to become concerned.
I just hope you didn't sustain too much damage.
Get back with us when you can!

Erick

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2004 06:33 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's probably driving around filling up the trunk of his car with all the blown-down traffic lights so he can hang them all up in his bedroom & look "cool".

PUNKS!

They're not hard to re-wire.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-17-2004 06:46 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you back Thomas! [thumbsup]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 11:31 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

Bad news. Things are very bad here. I got back to my apartment on Tuesday to find no broken windows or outside damage, but came inside to find that the entire cieling had collapsed. [Frown]

Plaster and insulation are everywhere and I tried to salvage what I could. The damage is concentrated to the back of the house, which is my bedroom and the kitchen area. No serious damage to the screening room, but *everything* is damp. The walls, the rugs, the cieling, and all my electrical equipment. I haven't plugged in the LCD projector yet. I'm trying to dry things out as much as I can so I can test them out. There's an overwhelming smell of wet plaster, rotting wood and mildew so I limit my visits to about an hour at a time, trying to clean up. Insurance adjuster is supposed to come within the week.

Not too many irreplaceable things got destroyed. A few "lesser" films, furniture, clothing, and the such. My record collection survived as did my computer, but I haven't plugged that in yet. It was safe under the desk.

I'm staying with friends right now, taking it one day at a time and trying to find another place to live. Yep, I'm homeless. It's hard to find anything with vacancy that hasn't sustained damage around here, but we're getting lots of aid in the area and things like power and traffic lights are getting repaired quickly. I will post pictures once all the important stuff is taken care of. I'll also post updates as they happen, but as of now, it's one day at a time...

Classes start Monday. [Frown]

=TMP=

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2004 11:46 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hope you had Renter's Insurance .......

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2004 01:12 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad none of your irreplacacable stuff is gone! I know it's grinding just trying to get from hour to hour in that world of ruination, but don't let it affect you past just getting you tired.

Usually, the people who come out of these best actually found something engaging in it. This may be the only time in your life that you'll have such a shift to a completely novel world. Get on the outside of it frequently to exploit it for your own enjoyment: you're living in one of those sorta cool post-apocalyptic worlds like in Mad Max or A Boy & His Dog!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: