Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Chain Theater Hiring Practices (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Chain Theater Hiring Practices
Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 04:17 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In two weeks I am moving to Milwaukee for college. About a month and a half ago, I applied at the AMC about two miles away from my school. I said I would prefer to be a projectionist, but I would basically take anything that was available.

One week later I called to follow up on the application. I was told that if they were interested, they would call withing two to three weeks.

I waited until after three weeks, then I called back. This time I was put through to a manager who told me the same thing: they would call if they were interested.

Today I called again. When I asked about it, they said that they don't take calls about job applications, they only call the people they are interested in.

What the hell. Whenever I have applied for a job in the past, I have filled out an application, usually with a resume, and I always call. I have been told by former and current employers that they only consider people who follow up their application with a phone call. It shows that they want the job, and often times shows how persistent they are.

Is this just and AMC thing, or do other theaters do the same thing. It really pisses me off that with a couple of years of experience, I can't even get a job in concessions. When I asked if they were hiring, she said she didn't think so, they had just hired a bunch of people. I find it hard to believe that those people were all more qualified for the job than I am. They're probably a bunch of high school kids with no experience that will start at a higher wage than I'm currently making at the independent theater here in Fond du Lac.

What does it take to get hired?

Rant off.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-11-2004 04:35 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like AMC just isn't hiring for that location at the moment. Lots of companies, especially those that get lots of job applications, do not want people following up with phone calls. If they're interested they'll call. "Don't call us, we'll call you." If you ignore that adage with them, don't be surprised if they just "lose" your paperwork.

A non-theatrical example: the airlines are like that. They even charge an application fee nowadays to stem the flood of pilot applications. Some companies go so far as to throwing out application packages if those applicants try to follow up with telephone calls. As it is, carriers like any of the big six get on the average 10,000 pilot applications a month, even when they announce they're not hiring.

So, like I said, AMC is probably just not hiring at that location right now. I'd keep updating with them just the same unless they tell you to stop. Probably better to do the updating by sending resumes rather than phoning. And it never hurts to network and develop a direct hiring-authority contact at your desired location. Such a contact can help neutralize the roadblocks thrown up by the HR drones. Just my USD 0.02.

Tony Hall
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 04:39 PM      Profile for Tony Hall   Email Tony Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of places like that don't care how experienced you are, i doubt they even looked at your application when it comes time to hire they probably grab a handful from there newest stack then select a few of them to actually work.

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably would have stopped calling, but when I saw a movie there a few weeks ago, I talked to a few of the girls working concessions-- they told me that they knew they were hiring and that it would probably help if I called. They must not know their theater's policy.

It couldn't have hurt that I called because they didn't even bother asking my name.

It's just a little annoying to me-- I just want them to know that I'm interested and maybe get them to dig my application from the bottom of the pile.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 05:05 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't speak for AMC, when I was in charge of hiring at my chain theatre, we would get way too many applications for the occasional position or two. When that is the case, you really have to be picky. I highly doubt that they just pull from the top of the pile, Tony. Some got thrown out because they were sloppy, or crinkled, or stained. Others got thrown out because their number was always busy after two or three tries. Still others got pitched because of unrealistic expectations, such as limited schedules, or way-to-high wage requests.

Shane, a couple of things to keep in mind: Being a student, your schedule (availability) is likely to be more limited than others who have no ambition in life, and is also likely to change several times a year. Thats a negative. Your previous experience can also be seen as a negative. I've heard people say that they don't want to hire people with bad habits from another location when they can train fresh people. (That can easily be reversed for some locations, as in they may not want to hire people with good habits because they may not be satisfied with a shoddy work environment.) If this AMC works anything like the theatre I worked for, they absolutely get flooded with applications. Keep your application pristine, type it if possible (i always called people who took the time to type out an application on a typewriter, even if their skills were sub-par). Good luck.

-adam

Tony Hall
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 05:15 PM      Profile for Tony Hall   Email Tony Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really just depends on the person doing the hiring and what there standards or methods are. Ive seen a few theatres(UA/AMC) with a high turn-over and all the manager cared about was having people in those positions and he got tired of calling applications older then 3 weeks for a entry level posisition becuase alot of the time the people he would call already had another job.

Ken Russell
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Ken Russell   Email Ken Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shane, it has been MANY years since I did any work with AMC but both of the times I hired on with them I did it in person, face to face with the manager of the theater. In the first case the discusion was not so much on me needing a job (was already employed full time else where) but a discussion about the quality of presentation. They were having two or more show interuptions a night in a six screen plex. After relaying experience in military theaters on changeover and carbon arc as well as very disciplined film inspection and handling, a job there was easy. In fact, these were the times that a number of the "ushers" worked in the booth. I went in strictly in the booth, contrary to practice, and reduced the interuptions to maybe one a month in no time. The second caes involved the district engineer having been a manager for a spell at the first one.
So the moral of this story is...

Talk to the person in charge. Don't go begging for the job but talk about presentation quality and experience that you have aquired that will help improve theirs, No, I do not mean condem what they have just talk as a fellow professional.

Even if you don't come out of it with a job you will most likely have gained a friend or two that couldn't hurt in the future.

just my 2 cents worth

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-11-2004 05:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Shane Hoffmann
It couldn't have hurt that I called because they didn't even bother asking my name.
That could be your problem. Why should they ASK YOU your name? You should be starting the call with "Hi, this is Shane Hoffman." Attitude is everything when you're approaching a potential boss.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-11-2004 09:32 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try the on-line career application:

http://www.amctheatres.com/careeropps/index.html

quote:
Career Opportunities
Do you Love Films? Turn Your Passion into a Career!

AMC Theatres has built some of the largest, most productive entertainment complexes in the industry. These complexes, averaging 14 - 30 screens, are located in key markets. AMC needs the most talented personnel in the industry to operate them.

AMC offers a great working atmosphere and nice benefits. To learn more of the company's history, please visit our About AMC section.

Want a Job in the Movies?
Theatre Management

Training
AMC Theatres offers the longest-running professional Management Training Program in the motion picture exhibition industry. The Management Training Program combines classroom-style training with hands-on experience for all aspects of theatre operations.

Benefits
AMC Theatres provides a comprehensive benefits package depending upon eligibility. These benefits include:
Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Disability coverage
Flexible Spending Accounts
401(k) retirement Plan
Pension Plan
Incentive Programs
Paid Vacations
Educational Assistance Program
Complimentary Movie Passes
How to Apply
If you are interested in a management position with AMC Theatres, you can complete our AMC Online Employment Application, download and complete our AMC Employment Application*, or send your resume in one of the following manners:
Fax your information to us at 816 480-4725
Mail your information to us at:
AMC Theatres
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 219615
Kansas City, MO 64121-9615

Theatre Staff
Our theatre staff positions include concessionist, usher, or cashier. If you are interested in one of these positions, you can apply online using our AMC Online Employment Application. If you need to see where the nearest theatre(s) to you are located, visit our Theatre Locations link and follow the links to the theatre of your choice. Their address and phone numbers can be found there. Write down the ones you are interested in and return to the AMC Online Employment Application form and make the appropriate choices. The AMC Employment Application* is available to download for your completion prior to visiting our theatre should you wish to apply in person.

U.S. AMC Online Employment Application
U.S. AMC Employment Application*
Canada AMC Employment Application*

If you reside in Canada, please apply in person at your local AMC Theatre.

Thank you for your interest in AMC Theatres!

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 08-11-2004 10:48 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shane, good luck getting a theater job in Wisconsin without knowing people personally... [Mad]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-12-2004 08:10 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about going during a slow period and trying to chat up a manager?

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 09:18 AM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are three Marcus Theatres that are all about a ten minute drive from my school. I think I will probably drive down and check those out. I'll try to hit them at the right time so I can talk to someone important.

I know a few people who work for Marcus, and they seem to like it.

Richard Cieplechowicz
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Richard Cieplechowicz   Email Richard Cieplechowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shane,

Are you applying to the Amc Mayfair? If so drop me an email and I'll help you get in touch with the GM. Also if it is the Mayfair you should do an online search about the theatre. This is a very tough theatre. Your online search will come back with fist fights, guns and several riots.

Rachel,

There are some theatre in Wisconsin that are in need of qualified managers. The Appleton 16 is in need of several hourly and salaried managers.

Richard

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 02:56 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestion is to go back in and fill out another application and say that you have no theater experience.

Also keep in mind that they may be hiring based on availability. They may only want someone for certain shifts.

Dont put that you want to work booth on your app either. If you do that it will be given to the booth manager and if he or she does not want to hire oyu then you most likely will be overlooked.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2004 04:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris is right. Don't apply directly to the booth because chances are you're just not going to get it with these guys (regardless of experience), and your application will get tossed anyway. Every now and then an application comes in here with somebody claiming they know how to run this projector or that platter system. The first and last reponse by most of the managers is "so what". We have never hired ANYBODY directly off the street and put them upstairs. One must prove themselves in reponsibility before coming up here, and a lot of people have been pissed because they've never been givien the chance.

Few other observations:
Rachel you need to live in Pennsylvania honey where you can't even get a job cleaning piss off a toilet seat unless you know somebody.
And Mike is absolutely correct when he explains the proper way to approach somebody when looking for a job. Never be afraid to give your name. Look at mine. Most people just forget it because they can't pronounce it. Maybe thats why I never get any calls . . . [uhoh]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: