Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Who Still Has A Curtain (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Who Still Has A Curtain
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something happened the other day I thought was funny. At one of the shows, a teenager comes out of the auditorium and asked "is this a movie or live stage show". This kid had never seen a movie theater with a screen curtain before. So, I'm wondering how many theaters still maintain a curtain. This one is at the single screen Englewood in Independence, Missouri.
I've added this link to the theater group homepage so you can see a picture of the Englewood's classic front.
Fine Arts Group

[ 08-08-2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Edward Jurich ]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-07-2004 10:55 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do. But my place is a screening room not a theatre.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-07-2004 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Montana Theatre in Miles City (45 miles from us) is a 1936 single-screen house with a waterfall curtain.

We used to have a curtain here but took it down in 1980 because it was full of dust, and the traveler setup would not work with our new automation. If I had it to do over again, I would have upgraded and/or figured out some way to keep the curtain.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-07-2004 12:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steves curtain is so retro cool [thumbsup]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a shower curtain...but as for the theatre, well I dont even have side masking.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a curtain thread here with pics of my theater's curtain. [Smile]

=TMP=

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-07-2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon but I would rather have something less 80's and more timeless. If we wait long enough maybe someday even I will be retro-cool.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-08-2004 01:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Uptown in DC has a curtain and it is operating again...we've had a couple problems that seemed to have been worked out for now.

All three AFI screens at the AFI/Silver have curtains.

The Sentator in Baltimore has its curtain.

As I've said before...to be a 1st quality theatre, you need a curtain...without one your are, at best, second-rate.

Steve

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2004 04:18 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have a curtain at my 1933 art deco single screen theatre. It is used for every show. It it also still closed at the end of the trailer and reopened for the feature.

No one has seen a bare screen in this theatre for over 30 years. Actually there are two curtains. A red proscenium curtain that is used only for stage shows, and the gold screen curtain that is used for all movie shows. We show films daily... only have stage shows on the average about once a month.

If you wish to view the curtain, you can go to roxytheaternorthampton.com and click on the photo page and scroll down.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2004 04:45 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo Richard!

My sister lives in Neffs, PA and I have told her that this winter when I visit, we are going to the Roxy!!

The single screen Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank NJ where I do occasional screenings has the original 1927 stage curtain, but we don't generally use it for our screenings. Side curtains are in the works for sometime in the future.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2004 06:01 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the same reaction awhile back when a group of Plex culture young ones came to their first single screen and asked what door went to which cinema ( we had x2 entrance and exit doors ) as most singles used to have , and then they came out complaining that there was no screen in the cinema .... as the curtains were closed [Eek!]

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2004 06:02 PM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have curtains UNDER two of our screens where we hide ladders. [Cool]

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well John, you certainly are welcome at any time, and I'll be happy to give you the nickel tour.

I have had the same experiences as both Ed and Paul as we have had the same reactions here from those attending for the first time. Kids often ask their parents if they are going to see a play, and people will ask which door is for such and such movie. We have 4 entrances into the auditorium and that tends to confuse people who are regular multiplex attendees. Many people today are not prepared for the single screen movie experience. The funniest occurrence was when a fellow came out one of the doors and went past the refreshment stand and then past another open door to the auditorium on his way to the mens room. When he returned from the rest room, he stopped at the refreshment stand and said to the salesperson: "Do they know that they are playing the same movie on this side as well?" The sales girl thought quickly and said: "Oh, yes... they started in at the same time there as well."

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-08-2004 11:12 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the Egyptian in Hollywood, CA ever put a curtain in? It's been a few years since I've been in there. It amazed me that they built such a nice place and didn't put in a curtain! [Frown]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-09-2004 12:43 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got a curtain. Our auditorium has four aisles. One night a man came out of the far right door and looked in th other 3 doors and asked the manager how the architect managed to get four large theatres into a building that size and that he was astounded how alike they were.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: