Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Movie Cash (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movie Cash
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-03-2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does Movie Cash work? This is a system for giving out tickets to new movies, such as with coupons enclosed in DVD's. Mechanically it's a bank *draft that the theatre can fill out for the amount of one ticket (up to $7 on the example I have for Princess Diaries 2) and deposit at the bank. But I see it has to be a participating theatre and they have to fill out a code number. Does the theatre get the full amount or is it discounted some way? What is the wholesale price of a typical sell-through DVD? Seems like this is turning the theatrical run into a mere promotional effort for the DVD.

* Draft not check because it says Payable through not Pay to the order of which gives them the chance to refuse it if the rules haven't been complied with.

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since they don't net much off the theatrical run, I'd say it makes sence.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-03-2004 06:14 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it brings them in the doors to buy popcorn, it can't be bad!

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Hollywood Movie Money" is a much better company to deal with. We had numerous problems with Movie Cash. Movie Cash still has us listed on their website, even after numerous attempts at getting it taken off.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-03-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are listed as a "participating theatre" on the tickets, but I have never received a code number that I know of. I think there must be some other Roxy out there that's registered, because I never signed anything myself.

I don't want to argue with customers since it clearly says ROXY THEATRE on the tickets, so we just take them.

We don't get many of those tickets, but I always just fill'em in and deposit them with no code number. They have always been paid, no problem. I suppose since it's just a couple of tickets in a week, they just let'em slide through.

If they ever start bouncing we'll have to rethink the strategy, but for now it's fine.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-03-2004 07:05 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been taking this stuff for a couple of years now. So far, no problems at all. It can be a little cumbersome though. Some tickets state that they're good for certain times and levels... like a matinee child's ticket. They also have pretty tight expiration dates, so you need to have your boxoffice people take a close look at them when they go through.

The amounts printed are the maximum allowable cash values. You fill in your ticket price for that level. In our case, they have our ticket prices on file, so you can't cash a $10 check if your ticket price is $8... Well... maybe you can, for a while, but we haven't tried that one.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2004 09:08 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one chain i worked for, if the movie cash check said it was payable up to $7.00 (or $11.00), we would print a 7.00 evening-priced ticket, even if the customer was seeing a $5 matinee. Not sure how honest that was, but that was the corporate procedure.

-Adam

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-03-2004 11:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you do get the full amount and that's that?

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 08-04-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been wondering about that same question for a long time? Here is a link to the PROPERTIES GROUP: MOVIE CASH PROMO

My take on it is just like the idea on gift certificates. The company already has the money in hand and the customer/consumers would have to use them before an alotted period of time. For Movie Cash/Gift Certificates lost by the customer/consumer, the company would be ahead. I have had many customers complain that they left their Movie Cash checks at home for the movie that they came to see. But since it is an incentive, most customers I have dealt with don't really care whether they have them or not. Surprising for my area since they seem to complain about other *interesting* things, namely ticket prices. [Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we get the full amount.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2004 12:10 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I took over my current theatre, they filled out our adult evening price, even when seeing a matinee as well. I stopped that immediately. I don't think the employees can be expected to be honest if they know management isn't even on that small level.

Regarding your question, we have never had a problem with Movie Cash or Hollywood Movie Magic. Both always pay the checks and the customer feels they got a freebee. Win win I say.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2004 11:10 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple: Patron is coming to see Matinee movie, Print $5 matinee ticket. Fill in $7 evening price. Theater makes $2 percap on that customer [Wink]

=TMP=

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-05-2004 08:42 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What part of fraud don't you understand?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm sure Tom understands it just fine, I think he was being a bit tongue-in-cheek to describe the very real fact that A LOT of theatres are defrauding the companies that handle these checks. Personally I'm a bit surprised they don't send out checkers to see what price the ticket they get says and then track the check to see what it is cashed for. Perhaps this is already done on a small scale but if they really care about their money and preventing fraud they really need to step up their efforts.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2004 11:49 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
keep in mind that this wasn't my policy, thats why the organization will remain nameless... But we were printing $7.00 tickets, not $5.00 tickets. The check was filled in according to our "prevailing adult ticket price" as stated on the movie cash check. There was a different policy for the 'child admission only' checks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: