Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How well is "The Village" doing? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How well is "The Village" doing?
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 07-31-2004 01:57 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How well is "The Village" doing at your theater?
The midnight showings of it last night turned out very well. We were #1 in the nation at AMC Mesa Grand 24. And we've been selling out pretty much all night.

|  IP: Logged

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 02:07 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sold out the 7:00 show in our largest auditorium at our five-plex.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 07:54 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh it is selling out...

But people are coming out yelling at us - saying they feel they were suckered out of their $8.75 - and wanting their money back.

I then direct them to Touchstone Picture's website.

**EDITED FOR CORRECT FILM COMPANY

[Big Grin]

[ 07-31-2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Dennis Benjamin ]

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 08:00 AM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's sort of humorous to see the Buena Vista (Disney) films aren't doing that great (few winners, more losers), this looks bad for Eisner. [Big Grin]

[ 07-31-2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: James B. Openshaw ]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-31-2004 09:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is definately a Disney film under the Touchstone badge. (Did the Cast and Crew screenings just outside of Philly earlier this week and Disney was the studio present).

Steve

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 10:18 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James B. Openshaw
It's sort of humorous to see the Buena Vista (Disney) films aren't doing that great (few winners, more losers), this looks bad for Eisner.
You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I received my "You got your figures" call last night from ACNeisen/EDI and they didnt want King Arthur figures anymore! I mean, its only been open here for two weeks. BVI must know some of their stuff is not as strong as it should be.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-31-2004 11:13 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the local alternative newspapers here issued its "turkey alert" for The Village on Thursday. This is standard policy here whenever no local press screening is scheduled for a picture, the assumption being that the studio knows they have a loser on their hands and want to minimize bad word of mouth on opening day.

I did a screen check for The Village yesterday. Sat through it three times. Noticed most customers were very unsatisfied or disappointed with it. It's not that the film is that bad, but it's not what people are expecting either, especially after seeing the trailers. People go in expecting a horror flic and get something else (I'm not quite sure how I'd characterise it) instead. They feel cheated.

[rant]
Congratulations go out to the Century Suncoast 16 for the 6:15 screening in auditorium #8 (at 465 seats, one of their two big houses) for running the entire presentation out-of-frame. And I mean way out--heads, faces, and cue marks half cut off at the top. Way to go Century! You guys should stick to running only 'scope pictures as proper presentation of open matte 1.85 seems to be beyond you.
[/rant]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-31-2004 01:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I.M.E. said "The Village" has a crappy ending.

I didn't like the ending of "Signs" either.

Looks like Night Shyamalan had one killer idea.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 02:50 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People go in expecting a horror flic and get something else (I'm not quite sure how I'd characterize it)
I know that Brad will be unhappy that I am going into 'p' word territory, but basically the film is a political allegory. I trust that y'all got that the town elder who runs things, the guy named "Walker", is the metaphorical stand-in for none other than El Presidente, George Walker Bush, who likes to . . . well . . . ummmm . . . er. . . scare people with something that's not really there after all so that they will stay scared and not get out of line. Well, that's what I got out of it, at least. I could be wrong.

I liked it, but then I knew that I would when the film critic at the New York Post blasted it for its "liberal message". Or shouldn't I go there?

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know how one can say it has a crappy ending. If you had a problem with it, it would be much earlier in the movie when the secret was strongly hinted at. I thought the movie worked as something about extremists of all types - religious fundies, hippies- anyone who try to form their own society to protect their kids from themselves and the big bad world. The twist wasn't the point of the movie. I dont think it was overtly about political tactics of using fear like our goverment does to keep in control because these village elders honestly had no selfish agenda.Their agenda was foolish and naive. If there are some parts that remind you of the government, it is because goverment(especially this one) sometimes uses the same tactics as religion.

As far as the Regal Perimeter POinte in atlanta, they didn't come close to selling out the 4pm show which was a surprise. Signs was much more packed in the same theater. However, the reaction of the audience wasn't as negative as the other reports for this movie.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to sit through this crap three times as well. Twice out of focus, no less.

For those of you complaining about the ending... THERE WAS NO ENDING! We learned in the middle of the movie (Reel 4 I think) that there was going to be no ending.

I will never forget this young black woman who was sitting next to me when the credits started. She got up and yelled, "Aww, HELL NAH!! Fuck dis movie! M. Night Sham-al-a-man, you ruined my day!!" at the screen. [Big Grin]

My guess: First weekend #1, then a steep D - R - O - P!

=TMP=

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm ... the AMC Mesa Grand 24 was the #12 engagement in the nation.

#1 was Loews E-Walk 13 in NYC with a $55,000+ gross

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 08-01-2004 04:12 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I meant for the AMC theatres. My bad [Frown] . If I'm wrong on that one too my DM told the whole staff wrong.

Stephen Jones 1
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2004 05:36 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones 1   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Jones 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you get these theatre grosses?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-02-2004 12:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pravin - IME didn't say "crappy ending" in so many words. What they said was: "The movie's long buildup of suspense and character development lead to a tame conclusion."

In plain English, that says crappy ending to me, hence my (possibly unfortunate) choice of words.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: