Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » sleeping with or dating co-workers wrong? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: sleeping with or dating co-workers wrong?
Andrea Werft
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Andrea Werft   Email Andrea Werft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anyone else has dated or slept with their co-workers? I have to admit that I am guilty of this. Back in the day, AMC had a policy that said no dating other theater employees and was wondering if they still have it? I mean we are talking over 200+ staff that see each other a lot, how can they expect people not to "hook" up. I actually started dating another projectionist and had to quit because others found out. It didn't affect our work performance and we were still professional. What is so wrong?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-18-2004 08:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Supervisor to staff
Preferential treatment is the biggie. For example, let's say you are screwing your co-worker (the good way, not the bad way). This could be a floor manager, or even someone who doesn't have direct ability to hire/fire such as the head projectionist. Somewhere along the line somebody gets into a debate over the better way to do something (regardless if it is something moronic or completely professional), or maybe it's over something more basic such as scheduling. Assuming you are screwing the head projectionist, he will side with you every time so he doesn't lose his pooty tang. Of course if you stop putting out for him, there is a very good chance that you will be fired for ceasing to be his sex slave, even if it is covered up in an honest fashion (such as he takes cash from your drawer, then fires you for being short). I've seen it happen, and it seems to happen everywhere this sort of romantic/fuck buddy situation occurs.

There are other reasons, but preferential treatment is the driving force. You may think the two of you are being completely professional about it, but odds are discrimination IS happening and you just don't see it. The rest of the staff or management probably does though.

Co-workers
This one isn't nearly as big of an issue because neither is above one another on the food chain. However one of the big problems I always had was the inability for the two lovers to keep their hands off of each other during their shifts. In this instance, I have known staff workers who were completely in love with each other and could turn it on and off the second they stepped through the front doors. I had full respect for that kind of professionalism and had no issues with it. It was the others who would constantly be in the back hallways kissing and groping that posed a problem, because customers sometimes saw them and more often than not, there was work that needed to be done.

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 08:53 PM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked for AMC (Seven Hills 10), I've seen a lot of dating going between floor staff members as well as dating between floor staff and their supervisors.

Personally, I stay out of dating within the workplace because any relationship can go very sour and if the two employees still work there it could make a negative impact on their working environment.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 09:16 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like my feelings on sitting at work See This Thread , I must say that dating co-workers is, in general, a very bad practice.

Sure, it may seem cool to nail the hot girl/ guy (so that Phil isn't discrimiated against [eyes] )at work, but as Brad says, chances are very good that it could turn out to be a case of discrimination and/or sexual harrasment. There are way too many variables, in theory, for this to take place at the workplace. Supervisors/Managers should NEVER 'have relations' with co-workers. Floor level co-workers should not date/co-habitat, in my opinion, however, my policy is that as long as it doesn't show at work, I don't know about it. Like the military, don't ask.. don't tell.

I figure if I can't see it, the customer can't either. And it is, after all, the customer who matters.. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-18-2004 09:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends nearly lost his job over this kind of thing.

Generally, dating co-workers is a bad idea. But it is also a pretty common way for many relationships to start. I would say it is also just as common a way for married people or people in committed relationships to fool around; they just fool around with someone at work. I had a serious relationship end once because the woman I was seeing was fooling around with a co-worker. She actually married that guy, but they got divorced a couple years later.

Andrea Werft
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 09:35 PM      Profile for Andrea Werft   Email Andrea Werft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I met the love of my life at AMC, and we are still together after 5 years. I don't once regret choosing him over a job. [Smile]

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I have told many of my friends who wanna "do" that hot guy/girl they work with:

quote:
Dont get your meat where you get your bread!

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 07-18-2004 09:51 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just the other day I was talking to a friend about making a thread just like this one.... For some reason I laugh now... [Big Grin]

Its like Arkansas at those AMCs... Everyone's breeding [evil] Before you know it their kids will be working there.

As for the whole dating Co-Workers thing. At my AMC I haven't seen any misbehavior but at the AMC I used to work at... People got freaky.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrea Werft
Well I met the love of my life at AMC, and we are still together after 5 years. I don't once regret choosing him over a job.
I think that is the key. If you get to a point where you cannot control yourself at work then one of you should make a decision, either the job or the relationship. If you dont feel strongly for that person and you realize you have made a mistake, then you should cut it off immediately. In general, only bad things come from it.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 11:10 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a funny story about a "projectionist" I once worked with...

Both he and his girlfriend were both assistant managers. She worked the floor and box office.

Anyhow, on one occasion he was mesing around with her in the box office, and in doing so was completely ignoring his screens(including start times).

Finally a call started comming over the radio that one of his starts was 15 minutes late...as well as technical complaints about his other screens. I was busy with my own screens, there were frantic calls over the radio for him but no response. So as soon as I got a break from my own starts I ran over to take care of his business.

As I was threading up his late start, he came barreling into the booth yelling and screaming and blaming me for his incompetitance. He started yelling at me for taking too long to take care of his late start and literally started kicking film cans around the booth. I told him to get out of my face and go tend to his other problems, to which he wanted to start a fight!

Later, after I discussed the situation with the GM, the GM accused me of causing the problem by not being gentle and pc with this idiot.

BTW, y'all would laugh your asses off if I told ya about this person's other "antics"!

Andrea Werft
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 11:25 PM      Profile for Andrea Werft   Email Andrea Werft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that we can work together professionally, and I shouldn't of had to make that decision. I wouldn't have left AMC if it wasn't for their problem and policy about it. In fact, my boyfriend got hired at Madstone Theaters while I was employed there with the GM fully knowing that we were a couple and living together and had no problems with it because we can handle ourselves. We are even working together now at our current job, with the Manager knowing. We do not display PDA's and do not slack at our jobs.

I just think that it is wrong for theaters, in general, to totally ban dating. Sure, there should be rules about no displays in front of customers or at all and leaving all the shit and drama at home etc. And if there is, then of course the appropriate actions should be taken, but don't punish us all because there are some immature people out there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-18-2004 11:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are truly professional to the point of no one without being told could guess you two were a couple (meaning no whining "oh but Billy is working usher, can't I work usher with my Billy???" and no scheudling conflicts always demanding to work the same shifts, etc)...and if the two of you are equals on the food chain...plus letting management know upfront, I don't see an issue with it. That's me though. Your mileage will vary.

Now where's your member picture?

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 07-18-2004 11:38 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Now where's your member picture?
Very good question.

Andrea Werft
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 11:42 PM      Profile for Andrea Werft   Email Andrea Werft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pic is coming soon! It is only my first day!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrea, did you see Anchorman by any chance? [Wink]

Seriously, I dont think that a company should have any rules about what employees do on their time off.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: